Page 1 of 1

How much memory is SoC memory on the Raspberry Pi 3?

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:28 am
by amorcoder
Thanks!

English is not my native language, sorry!

Re: How much memory is SoC memory on the Raspberry Pi 3?

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:56 am
by jamesh
The PI3 has 1GB of total RAM, shared between the GPU and the CPU's according to the gpu_mem config variable. https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /memory.md

Re: How much memory is SoC memory on the Raspberry Pi 3?

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:09 am
by rpiMike
I think that should read 1GB.

Re: How much memory is SoC memory on the Raspberry Pi 3?

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:21 am
by amorcoder
jamesh wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:56 am
The PI3 has tGB of total RAM, shared between the GPU and the CPU's according to the gpu_mem config variable. https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /memory.md
Sorry, I mean the capacity of the ARM SoC.

Re: How much memory is SoC memory on the Raspberry Pi 3?

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:22 am
by amorcoder
rpiMike wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:09 am
I think that should read 1GB.
Sorry, I mean the capacity of the ARM SoC.

Re: How much memory is SoC memory on the Raspberry Pi 3?

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:27 am
by RaTTuS
the arm can handle 16GB ? but the VPU which controls everything can handle 1GB
so you cannot get a RPi with more than 1GB

Re: How much memory is SoC memory on the Raspberry Pi 3?

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:02 am
by rpdom
amorcoder wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:21 am
jamesh wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:56 am
The PI3 has tGB of total RAM, shared between the GPU and the CPU's according to the gpu_mem config variable. https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /memory.md
Sorry, I mean the capacity of the ARM SoC.
The SoC is a VC4 with ARM CPUs. It has a maximum capacity of 1GB of RAM. There is no RAM (other than local cache) on the SoC itself.
As stated, the external RAM is shared between the VC4 GPU and the ARM CPUs. The amount the GPU uses can be set in config.txt. The commands vcgencmd get_mem arm and vcgencmd get_mem gpu will show the current allocation.

Re: How much memory is SoC memory on the Raspberry Pi 3?

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:13 am
by jamesh
rpiMike wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:09 am
I think that should read 1GB.
Thanks - fixed the post itself.

Re: How much memory is SoC memory on the Raspberry Pi 3?

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:18 am
by amorcoder
amorcoder wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:21 am
jamesh wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:56 am
The PI3 has tGB of total RAM, shared between the GPU and the CPU's according to the gpu_mem config variable. https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /memory.md
Sorry, I mean the capacity of the ARM SoC.
I want to konw the size of on chip memory. Or the Raspberry Pi 3 have no chip memory. thank you!!!

Re: How much memory is SoC memory on the Raspberry Pi 3?

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:32 am
by HawaiianPi
amorcoder wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:18 am
I want to know the size of on chip memory. Or the Raspberry Pi 3 have no chip memory. thank you!!!
It has a tiny amount of cache, but the SoC has no onboard system RAM or flash storage.

Re: How much memory is SoC memory on the Raspberry Pi 3?

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:35 am
by amorcoder
HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:32 am
amorcoder wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:18 am
I want to know the size of on chip memory. Or the Raspberry Pi 3 have no chip memory. thank you!!!
It has a tiny amount of cache, but the SoC has no onboard system RAM or flash storage.
thank you!!!!!!

Re: How much memory is SoC memory on the Raspberry Pi 3?

Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:53 am
by jamesh
HawaiianPi wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:32 am
amorcoder wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:18 am
I want to know the size of on chip memory. Or the Raspberry Pi 3 have no chip memory. thank you!!!
It has a tiny amount of cache, but the SoC has no onboard system RAM or flash storage.
Not that tiny.

32kB Level 1 and 512kB Level 2 cache memory, on the SoC die itself.

Re: How much memory is SoC memory on the Raspberry Pi 3?

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:00 am
by Imperf3kt
I believe the OP is asking how much onboard storage the Pi has.

The answer to this question would be none. Everything is stored on the microSD card, or external USB drives.

The CM range is an exception, but they aren't a typical Pi and require advanced knowledge and additional equipment to use.