jcockrell33

Re: Shipping to the U.S.A.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:09 am

Does anyone have any idea as to the shipping costs to the U.S. per unit.?  Also are  all of the accessories and the R-Pi to go on sale at the same time?

abishur

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:03 am

I believe they had a rough shipping calculator up a couple months ago (might be worth searching the forum for the keyword "shipping" or "shipping cost" or "Cost of shipping ) It's been a long time since I did it so anything I said would be a shot in the dark and not at all accurate, but hey let's mark my guess for 8 bucks?

It depends on what you mean by the word "all"   I believe that last they said anything there would be a power supply and possibly an SD card with a pre-loaded image.  I'm not certain about the SD card though.  I know that it can cost a lot of money to have a bulk order of SD cards, and since their initially targeting IT geeks it makes more financial sense to just host a downloadable image that we can put on a spare SD card or one that we bought off Amazon for 5 bucks (with shipping of course).

If you also mean the case then the answer is no The case should come out... eventually.  There will be an official case, but ultimate a lot of it depends on how much demand we put on them.  Ironically if we keep them busy by purchasing a ton of their boards then they're not going to be able to have much time to design a case.  That said, there is a lot of discussion about home brew cases.

Anyway, I've said a lot here without saying much of anything .  Be sure to look around using the search feature as there is a *ton* of chatter about these two questions and most of that chatter is worth the look!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

jcockrell33

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:47 am

As far as a case goes that was one of the perks. I get to design my own case! I had a suspicion about the SD card. I was more interested in things like the Gert board or anything that I may have not heard about yet. As far as the O.S. is concerned, is anything that supports Arm  acceptable?

flyingpengwin

Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:38 am

jcockrell33 said:

As far as a case goes that was one of the perks. I get to design my own case! I had a suspicion about the SD card. I was more interested in things like the Gert board or anything that I may have not heard about yet. As far as the O.S. is concerned, is anything that supports Arm  acceptable?

According to the FAQ the 3 OS's that will be supported at the beginning will be Debian, Fedora, and Archlinux. Now, will that be the only ones that will be supported? I and RaspberryPi doubt it. But as an official answer goes, those 3 are the ones that will be supported as of now.

a10112

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:34 pm

jcockrell33 said:

Does anyone have any idea as to the shipping costs to the U.S. per unit.?  Also are  all of the accessories and the R-Pi to go on sale at the same time?

I'd like to know the shipping on this to the U.S. as well.

djg6892

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:51 pm

i bought an ounce of something from the uk once and got charged $25 in postage.

$8 doesn't seem so bad by comparison, i guess. still... knowing for sure would be nice.

D.

joecarst

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:56 pm

From the wiki:

Raspberry Pi devices will ship from the UK (and possibly US) and Raspberry Pi will be looking to sign up distribution partners in due course.

I thought I remembered seeing somewhere in the forum that they would possibly ship from the US (maybe not right away but at some point).  I think it was because it was just easier.  I don't know where the wiki got this information.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:01 pm

I'd love to be able to calm your minds on this, but I simply won't have shipping calculations out of the logistics company we're using (and I can't confirm who they are because contracts still have to be signed - but before you all yelp, this will not hold things up at all) until we are very nearly ready to go.

I can assure you that we are not going to be doing that thing where companies charge stupid amounts to try to make a profit on P&P.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

meltwater

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:29 pm

I'll tidy up the info in the wiki, I forgot that it'll probably be different through the logistics company, so the current shipping calculator isn't really a good guide (what I used).

The US bit I guess was down to reseller hopes later on, again will clean it.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Melancholy

Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:47 pm

djg6892 said:

i bought an ounce of something from the uk once and got charged $25 in postage.

$8 doesn't seem so bad by comparison, i guess. still... knowing for sure would be nice.

D.

I bought an ounce of something from the US once and got charged £100 in postage.

Ok, to be fair around 90% of that was fees for opening my box of posters to determine if I needed to pay import duty, which I didn't. I guess it comes down to how different shipping companies choose to do things.

CookieMonster

Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:41 pm

On a related note, what about customs, duties, whatever to the US? Maybe not that important for the guy who wants to get one for personal use and hope it flies under the radar, but when things expand to where someone wants to bring in 10 or 100 or 1000 to resell?

Are the US and UK good buddies who don't tax each other's stuff? (Yeah, that sounds excessively optimistically funny just looking at it.)

Prometheus

Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:55 am

Cookie Monster said:

On a related note, what about customs, duties, whatever to the US? Maybe not that important for the guy who wants to get one for personal use and hope it flies under the radar, but when things expand to where someone wants to bring in 10 or 100 or 1000 to resell?

Are the US and UK good buddies who don't tax each other's stuff? (Yeah, that sounds excessively optimistically funny just looking at it.)

I wish.

My understanding of it is that in the US, you're allowed to import goods for personal use up to the value of $100 and you won't attract fees. In the UK, that's £18 (about $28 at the time of writing), including postage costs.

a10112

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:19 am

mmm... a retailer in the U.S. would be even better (shipping times and all).

ElectroPulse

Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:32 am

Well, I decided to do some searching instead of creating my own thread, so I am BUMPing this one with an additional question...

So, has the agreement been made yet, and has an approximate shipping cost to the U.S. been established?

Also, will there be any additional shipping options other than just the standard? Like, expedited or anything? I would sorta like to know the cost of all the possible shipping options, as well as the estimated shipping times (provided there are multiple shipping options), so as to decide before-hand... I'm not wanting to miss out on an opportunity to get an RPi (as soon as possible, that is) because it took me an extra minute to decide whether the extra cost of shipping was worth it

Return to “General discussion”