mgaved

Re: number of users that can connect to raspberry 3b

Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:42 pm

HTCpi wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:19 pm
As an update I have just tested a wifi range extender to see if it helps. Logic told me that a bottle neck is a bottleneck and won't be resolved by adding a range extender. My logic was wrong - I connected it and had 10 devices running videos at the same time - I ran out of devices so don't know the limit but all devices ran videos seamlessly. Previously I could only run 5 devices and the 6th caused a crash/freeze.
A solution on the Pi or software would be better, but for now a cheapish $10 range extender works.
Can you recommend a particular model?

I am also interested in multiple users on a Pi - for a "teacher with multiple students" use case: so I need to know how many users can concurrently connect on a 3B, 3B+ or 4. I can add an antenna, and if necessary (but preferably not) an external wireless access point.

Many thanks

mgaved

Does using ethernet port extend the number of users that can connect to raspberry 3b?

Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:42 pm

Excuse the novice technical question, but if there's an upper limit (too small) on how many concurrent users can access a Pi via the wireless, can this be overcome by connecting a Pi via ethernet cable to a dedicated Access Point?

Does a Raspberry Pi (3B for example) enable a greater number of concurrent accesses via its ethernet port, if so, does anybody know how many connections can be made ?

thanks!

Heater

Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:46 pm

I imagine a Pi running Pi OS can handle thousands of simultaneous connection.

Pi OS is basically Linux. Most of the world's web sites run on Linux and many of them handle huge numbers of user connections concurrently.

The limit will be not the number of socket connections but the work load each one of those may call for. At some limit memory and or CPU power will be all used.

That all depends on what you are doing with all those connections in your application(s).
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

ejolson

Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:10 am

Heater wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:46 pm
I imagine a Pi running Pi OS can handle thousands of simultaneous connection.
There is also a physical limit related to the WiFi hardware when running in access point mode. I think it's about 15, but not sure the exact number. The limit goes away the moment you add a proper WiFi router to the setup, but that obviously doubles the cost and greatly increases the footprint of the setup for portable use.

Return to “General discussion”