pcardona

Incorrect mapping of the 79 keys official keyboard

Mon May 20, 2019 8:43 pm

Hello,

I just got the official keyboard with 79-key USB hub, French variant Azerty from Kubii.fr, an official dealer of Raspberry Pi hardware for the French customers.

It presents some originality: instead of the <²> key under the <Esc> key, it offers, as on Apple keyboards, the key <@ #> at this location. As a result, these two symbols do not appear on the keys where they are usually found: <"3> and <0 to> respectively.

But the mapping of the keyboard does not match in the Raspbian system, which seems to simply ignore the existence of my new keyboard (official) in the list of available keyboards when it is searched via the configuration tool "raspi-config".

In summary :

- The <# @> key produces the character "²"
- The <Alt-right> + <-> key combination produces the character "@"
- The <Alt-right> + <"> key combination (below the 3) produces the character" # ".

I guess there is an update missing in the system. I also alerted the seller in principle.
This seller courteously responded by admitting his incompetence on the issue and sent me back to the French forums devoted to Raspberry Pi. On the forum Rasp.fr, I was suggested to modify the mapping via the Xmodmap tool, but it seems to me that this tool is obsolete. In addition, I assume that an official keyboard had to be thought through in terms of drivers or system configuration.

And I come to my questions: do you think this update is imminent (if by chance some of you contribute to the location of the distribution).
Have you encountered the same problem and do you have a solution to implement?

PS: I also did not find the shortcut to enter the 'oelig' (with the Mac keyboard, I could use 'META+o')

Thank you for your attention.

pcardona

Re: Incorrect mapping of the 79 keys official keyboard

Wed May 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Hello,

Following my research, here is what we can say today about the status of the new raspberry Pi keyboard:In April 2019, France finally adopted a voluntary standard relating to the layout of digital or computer keyboards (AFNOR: NF Z71-300), proposing in practice two recommended layouts:

- improved AZERTY,
- BÉPO improved.

You can find these layouts documented in the presentation of the AFNOR:
[1] https://normalisation.afnor.org/wp-cont ... ier-en.pdf

Or on the new dedicated website:
[2] http://norme-azerty.fr/

If I compare to this standard the official keyboard Raspberry Pi in its so-called French variant, I see that only the <@ #> key has been implemented next to the improved AZERTY model, and that's it. And as I said in my first post, the engraved symbols do not match the expected keycode.

By consulting what the 'usb-devices' command reports, we can identify the manufacturer, Holtek (Vendor = 04d9), the model (ProdID = 0006) and the product (Product = RPI Wired Keyboard 2)

It seems that somebody have sent this manufacturer an intermediate implementation (former AZERTY standard plus the new key already mentioned).
In any case, I can understand the difficulty (recent publication of the standard) and apparently no pilot for these new layouts in GNU / Linux systems, as can You read it on the same site [2].

It could therefore be concluded with relative severity that the release of the French flavour was premature, and that it would have been interesting in terms of innovation to wait to take into account the new standard. If the actors involved in the Raspberry Pi Foundation read my message, I hope they will accept this criticism in order to soon propose a standard-compliant keyboard with NF Z71-300.

For my part, I will act, even if I am personally involved, so that we can soon propose an ad hoc driver for GNU / Linux systems and in particular Raspbian, according to the following approach:

- 1) Driver correcting the current layout of the Official Raspberry Pi keyboard (RPI Wired Keyboard 2, ID 04d9:0006)
- 2) Improved AZERTY driver to apply the NF Z71-300 standard, even if you want to stick labels ...

If after some further research I find that this work needs to be initiated, I will open a Github repository devoted to this purpose.
As far as concerns the variant BÉPO, I suppose that a community is already mobilized on the question ...

As before, I post this message on two forums, one French and the other associated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation so that all concerned people can keep informed.

Best regards,

pcardona

Sat May 25, 2019 1:54 am

Hello,

So I solved my problem with the expected keyboard operation: @, #, œ ...

- On the one hand by choosing the variant "Unicode French derivative" which restored the œ (alt + o) etc.
- On the other hand by adapting this variant to the new layout of the keys of the keyboard (key <@ #> under <Esc>): for this step, it was necessary to make some scripts in order to make the methodical and reversible approach, one does not never know. And this work will serve as a preliminary step to address later the issue of the new AFNOR standard for the improved AZERTY keyboard.

We can see the code here on Github: https://github.com/pcardona34/RPI_AZERTY_TWEAK
Last edited by pcardona on Sat May 25, 2019 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jojopi

Sat May 25, 2019 6:18 am

It does seem strange to go with a hybrid layout that is not completely supported in the recommended operating system. However, the initial announcement last month said that these keyboards can report their country to the host, so maybe RPF/T plan to add software to configure them at some point.

Out of interest I looked at the high resolution photos of the layouts on that page and compared them to the currently available options in Raspbian. In decreasing order of success:

English, US and English, UK: standard layouts.

Spanish: standard layout. Euro sign is printed in two places, but only one works in Raspbian. That seems to be normal thing, though.

German: standard layout, but the vertical bar has not been printed on the <> key. Could confuse people who have not needed pipes before.

French: as discussed, not quite standard, not Macintosh, not new.

Italian: oh dear. As labelled, the only full stop on that keyboard is in the numeric keypad. There are two double quotes. Surely the keys ;: and ," should have been ,; and .:

edit: an article on the official MagPi site, idiotically dated no more precisely than "1 month ago", shows slightly different layouts. Here the French and Italian layouts are standard, while German still has the issue of not including the vertical bar.

pcardona

Sat May 25, 2019 5:53 pm

Hello Jojopi,

Yes, this picture of the layout on the MagPi is different from the real keyboard I got.
You can see a photo of the effective French layout on Amazon there :

https://www.amazon.fr/Clavier-Officiel- ... ers&sr=1-1

simon-martin-rpi
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue May 28, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi there all - thanks for your comments. You are correct. The top left key has taken the Mackintosh layout rather than the Raspian layout but then when you select Mackintosh keyboard layout, there are two keys by the Enter key that are swapped instead.

The correct way to get these keys is as you say.

- The <Alt-right> + <-> key combination produces the character "@"
- The <Alt-right> + <"> key combination (below the 3) produces the character" # ".

We are currently deciding what to do about this print error. I will reply again when this is decided.

Also I have made a note about the German keyboard missing the "|" symbol and we will get the print modified. Thanks.

simon-martin-rpi

Thu May 30, 2019 4:27 pm

Hi again,

We are going to fix the French keyboard layout. I put my hand up and say it was my mistake. Customers will be able to return their keyboard and get a replacement with the correct key layout. I am working now on getting a new layout printed on the next batch of French keyboards. It may take a few weeks to get the new design through the supply chain.

Simon

pcardona

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Hello Simon,

Thank you for your two answers. I am a little late in my reaction, currently requested by the exams.

So, the layout you are working on now, namely the new layout printed on the next batch of French keyboards, will it be the new AZERTY recommended by the AFNOR?

And in this case, will you provide the associated driver in Raspbian? This is to know if the code proposed on Github is still needed.

As for the replacement of non-compliant keyboards, will all official distributors (mine is French: Kubii.fr) be informed by the foundation ?

Yours,
Patrick

pcardona

Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:07 pm

Hello,

I finalized the code and I managed to produce a debian package that makes the installation simpler and the procedure more reliable.

We can choose now between:
- A minimal correction (@ / # key under Esc)
- The well-advanced implementation of the French standard "Azerty Enhanced" (AFNOR standard) with the exception of some diacritics (breve inverted, etc.) for which I am stuck and which correspond to languages that I do not master ( Slovenian, etc.).

For the installation package, it's here:
https://github.com/pcardona34/rpiazerty ... /tag/v.1.0

Hoping that this then be useful...

Return to “General discussion”