TheVoidCraft

My Raspberry Pi is broken after only the third time using it.

Sat May 18, 2019 6:10 pm

Hi,
I bought a raspberry pi 3 model B a few months ago and it's worked great! I didn't have much spare time so I could only use it twice before today for writing code and documents. All in all I think the pi is a very good little device. Then I tried powering it up today. It got stuck on a white screen with the raspberry pi logo on it and it said "hold shift for recovery options". Holding shift did nothing. I tried rebooting it around 13 times but it still got stuck at the same point. After a few more reboots it told me that I had to install an operating system even though it said that an operating system was already installed. Then I reformatted the SD card to wipe it clean and, hopefully get my pi up and running again. When I put the SD card back in the pi didn't even seem to be giving out a HDMI signal anymore. The lights still turn on but my TV doesn't show anything. I have tested the TV and the HDMI cable and they are both working properly. Is there something I am doing wrong or is my pi just broken after using it only three times.
Thanks.

klricks

Re: My Raspberry Pi is broken after only the third time using it.

Sat May 18, 2019 8:56 pm

TheVoidCraft wrote:
.......... Then I reformatted the SD card to wipe it clean and, hopefully get my pi up and running again. When I put the SD card back in the pi didn't even seem to be giving out a HDMI signal anymore.....
The RPi will not do anything...... not even produce any HDMI output, without a properly installed OS on the SD card.
Read the boot problems 'sticky'
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

ejolson

Sat May 18, 2019 10:18 pm

TheVoidCraft wrote:
Is there something I am doing wrong or is my pi just broken after using it only three times.
It appears the hardware is working fine but that you have suffered some sort of software malfunction. I experienced a similar problem to what you are describing within the first week of using my Pi. After that I reinstalled Raspbian on the SD card and haven't had any more problems. I think I also switched to a better cable for the power supply.

One thing that can help prevent software problems is to shutdown the operating system and wait for the green LED to flash four times before pulling the power cord.

Don't panic or do anything too creative. Simply follow the directions carefully to reflash your SD card and I expect everything will work fine. Please post back your progress.

HawaiianPi

Sat May 18, 2019 10:30 pm

ejolson wrote:
One thing that can help prevent software problems is to shutdown the operating system and wait for the green LED to flash four times before pulling the power cord.
Pretty sure that's ten times (nine short flashes followed by a final longer one to signal the end of the shutdown process).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

klricks

Sat May 18, 2019 10:33 pm

ejolson wrote:
........shutdown the operating system and wait for the green LED to flash four times before pulling the power cord....
It's 10 times..........
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

drgeoff

Sat May 18, 2019 10:44 pm

TheVoidCraft wrote:
....Then I reformatted the SD card to wipe it clean and, hopefully get my pi up and running again. When I put the SD card back in the pi didn't even seem to be giving out a HDMI signal anymore....
A RPi does nothing except light the red LED if there is no SD card or a blank SD card in its slot. Did you really put nothing on the card after formatting it?

pcmanbob

Sun May 19, 2019 9:55 am

I suggest you follow the instructions here https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md
and download and install an operating system ( raspbian stretch ) on your SD card and try again.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Return to “General discussion”