miky94

setup Raspberry Pi Zero without internet access and only 1 micro usb port

Sat May 18, 2019 4:03 pm

Hi,
how can I setup Raspbian Stretch and install updates, desktop, python etc. on a Pi Zero (without wireless)?
can I setup the SD on a Pi Zero W and then put the SD in the Pi Zero or the fact that it doesn't have the wireless causes problems?
also how can I configure a USB stick as external storage having only 1 micro usb port and no USB hub? what would be the path to refer to?
Thank

Andyroo

Re: setup Raspberry Pi Zero without internet access and only 1 micro usb port

Sat May 18, 2019 4:20 pm

If you download the Raspbian operating system from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ you can copy it to card with Etcher https://www.balena.io/etcher/.

You then need to edit two files and set up USB mode on the Zero as per https://desertbot.io/blog/ssh-into-pi-zero-over-usb. note if you use Windows a link is in that article.

Remember to put the ssh file in as well :lol:

You can than get onto the Pi and it will be able to use the computer as the gateway to the internet for updates etc.
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

miky94

Sat May 18, 2019 5:27 pm

Ok thank you, and then how can I set up a USB stick as external storage?

B.Goode

Sat May 18, 2019 5:33 pm

miky94 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 5:27 pm
Ok thank you, and then how can I set up a USB stick as external storage?

You can't. But since you didn't ask for Network access you could ignore the suggestion to use the single usb port for that purpose.

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 18, 2019 5:57 pm

miky94 wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 4:03 pm
Hi,
how can I setup Raspbian Stretch and install updates, desktop, python etc. on a Pi Zero (without wireless)?
can I setup the SD on a Pi Zero W and then put the SD in the Pi Zero or the fact that it doesn't have the wireless causes problems?
also how can I configure a USB stick as external storage having only 1 micro usb port and no USB hub? what would be the path to refer to?
Thank

Yes you can set up the Operating System and Software on the RPi Zero W and then put the SD Card in the Zero......
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

HawaiianPi

Sat May 18, 2019 6:30 pm

If you have a Zero W you can use that to configure an SD card then move it to the Pi0 (non-W). However, you still won't have network access on the Pi0 unless you add an Ethernet or WiFi adapter. I believe there are wireless boards that can be added to GPIO, but those are more difficult to install and configure (and slower). If you use a USB WiFi dongle, then you can't add USB storage without a hub.

You could configure your Pi0 as a USB Ethernet Gadget, connected to your main PC with a micro USB cable, and then use Internet Connection Sharing to give 'net access to the Pi0. This would allow you to SSH or VNC in over USB to control the Pi0, but you won't be able to use a USB drive (if you want more storage, get a bigger SD card). This is the best guide I've found on setting up USB Gadget mode (click).

Another option would be to get a Raspbian compatible USB WiFi dongle and run the Pi0 headless. Most of my Pi computers are headless and accessed by SSH or VNC.

A final option to consider would be a serial console cable, which will give you access to the Raspbian CLI without a network connection. The Pi0 USB port is not used and would be available for something else, but you'd still have to choose between USB storage or network.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

miky94

Sun May 19, 2019 12:12 am

in production I don't need internet access and the SD will be read-only for suddenly shutdowns so that's the reason for the USB stick external storage
from your answers I deduce that the easiest way would be to setup on the Pi Zero W via WiFi the SD and the USB stick and then move both on the Pi Zero, right?
I won't have problems for not having the wireless card?
and I'll find the USB stick on the same path?

W. H. Heydt

Sun May 19, 2019 4:26 am

miky94 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 12:12 am
in production I don't need internet access and the SD will be read-only for suddenly shutdowns so that's the reason for the USB stick external storage
from your answers I deduce that the easiest way would be to setup on the Pi Zero W via WiFi the SD and the USB stick and then move both on the Pi Zero, right?
I won't have problems for not having the wireless card?
and I'll find the USB stick on the same path?
The *easiest* way would be to do the setup on a Pi B (any version).

If you're doing an embedded system, the better alternative is to use a CM. Then you can design a carrier board with whatever interfaces you need.

miky94

Sun May 19, 2019 10:46 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:

If you're doing an embedded system, the better alternative is to use a CM. Then you can design a carrier board with whatever interfaces you need.
I have a Pi 3 B but why should be better than the Pi 0 W having different hw?
the Pi 0 has all the interfaces needed

PiGraham

Sun May 19, 2019 11:22 am

You can also access Linux command line via the UART serial port GPIO pins, which you can connect to using a USB serial adaptor and a serial terminal program (e.g. Putty is a good choice on Windows). Make sure the adaptor signals are 3.3Volt level though. I think that by default the serial port is configured as a console and you will see the boot messages there.

miky94

Sun May 19, 2019 11:59 am

I don't have the pinout header so if you say it is possible I'll setup the SD and the USB stick on the Pi 0 W and then I'll move both on the Pi 0

W. H. Heydt

Sun May 19, 2019 3:27 pm

miky94 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:46 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:

I have a Pi 3 B but why should be better than the Pi 0 W having different hw?
the Pi 0 has all the interfaces needed
Your Pi3B can build and update the card faster because it has more memory and a *much* faster processor. Once that is done, you can swap the card into the Pi0.

Since you indicate that you are working on a--presumably commercial--product, have you considered how you are going to go about getting enough Pi0s to sell your product in any quantity?

miky94

Sun May 19, 2019 3:40 pm

No it is for personal use, so there are no problems with drivers having different hw?

rpdom

Sun May 19, 2019 3:54 pm

miky94 wrote:
No it is for personal use, so there are no problems with drivers having different hw?
No problems. Raspbian is shipped with drivers for the hardware on all models of Pi to date.

The Pi Zero and Pi 1 range use a different Linux kernel to the Pi 2 and 3, but the bootloader takes care of that for you. I often move cards from one model of Pi to another.
Signature is on holiday.

W. H. Heydt

Sun May 19, 2019 4:29 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:54 pm
miky94 wrote:
No problems. Raspbian is shipped with drivers for the hardware on all models of Pi to date.

The Pi Zero and Pi 1 range use a different Linux kernel to the Pi 2 and 3, but the bootloader takes care of that for you. I often move cards from one model of Pi to another.
And that is a big part of why backwards compatibility is so important.

Return to “General discussion”