Tzarls

Pi Zero W as Bluetooth Dongle to inspect Bluetooth traffic

Fri May 17, 2019 7:17 am

Hi.

I have this small "robot" which can be programmed using Scratch 2 on Windows with some extensions made by the manufacturer. The robot connects to the computer using Bluetooth. I had the idea that, if I could inspect the messages sent from and to the robot I could make a Python API to program it (on something else that using WIndows). Unfortunately Windows won´t let the user sniff those packets (tried using WireShark and then found on the net that it wasn´t possible).

Then I came up with this idea, but I´d like to know if it is possible: SInce the Pi Zero can be used in gadget mode, would it be possible to make it appear as the WIndows PC Bluetooth dongle? That way I could connect the robot to the Pi, record all messages and pass them to the Windows PC.

I´ve searched for this specific feature but haven´t found anything besides the possibility of using the Pi as an ethernet device, or a serial device, but I´m not sure if this is what I want. So, to summarize: Is it possible to make a Pi Zero (in gadget mode) appear as a bluetooth dongle for other PC?

Thanks in advance.

Douglas6

Re: Pi Zero W as Bluetooth Dongle to inspect Bluetooth traffic

Fri May 17, 2019 1:02 pm

Tzarls wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:17 am
Is it possible to make a Pi Zero (in gadget mode) appear as a bluetooth dongle for other PC?
I could be wrong, but I don't think it's possible. Furthermore, I don't think it would help you. The Bluetooth chips on the Pis just aren't programmed to 'sniff' Bluetooth traffic in the air. They create a 1-to-1 connection with another device, and will only listen to that device.

If you're using BLE, a fun and handy gadget to have is Adafruit's LE sniffer (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2269). Classic Bluetooth sniffers are harder to find; you can search for 'Uber Tooth', but that one appears to be about four times the cost of Adafruit's LE sniffer.

Tzarls

Fri May 17, 2019 1:06 pm

But I don't need to actually sniff packets off the air. The idea is to have the robot connect directly to the Pi, which would be acting as the Windows PC's bluetooth adapter. In reality this would be more like a MITM thing than actual sniffing.

Douglas6

Fri May 17, 2019 1:39 pm

Ah, I think I see now. No idea if it's possible though, or how to go about it, sorry. I've certainly never heard of it being done.

ejopi

Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:03 pm

I saw a kickstarter project that used a Pi Zero as as USB device for another computer.
It announces itself as a disk, but you may be able to get it to announce a bluetooth dongle as well.

The campaign (now completed) can be found at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... -drive-yet

The creator said that he would put up the product on this location, that does not seem to work:
https://schwalm-tate-technology.myshopify.com/

aBUGSworstnightmare

Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:52 am

You've noted this project was completed in 2018?

Tzarls

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Yes, and the project seems to have some bad comments.

Thanks anyway, let's see if someone else knows how to achieve what I want.

Return to “General discussion”