Madtom

Slow Raspi 3b+

Thu May 16, 2019 3:03 pm

Brought my pi a few months ago. Taken ages to set up but when I did it's very very slow!! Wifi doesn't work on it and everything takes about 5 minutes to open. I've got a 128gb sd card in there which I partitioned but still hasn't helped. Any advice would greatly appreciated!

Thanks

B.Goode

Re: Slow Raspi 3b+

Thu May 16, 2019 5:36 pm

Welcome to the Raspberry Pi forums.

Madtom wrote:
Brought my pi a few months ago. Taken ages to set up but when I did it's very very slow!! Wifi doesn't work on it and everything takes about 5 minutes to open. I've got a 128gb sd card in there which I partitioned but still hasn't helped. Any advice would greatly appreciated!

Perhaps begin by explaining which Operating System you have installed on your RPi?

Since appropriate partitions are normally configured by the NOOBS or PINN Installers, or by 'flashing' an Operating System image, what is your special requirement and how have you manually partitioned your microSD card?

The built-in WiFi network interface is supported under Raspbian and should work straightforwardly. What sort of 'everything' do you have in mind when you say "everything takes about 5 minutes to open".

LTolledo

Fri May 17, 2019 10:53 am

Madtom wrote:

Thanks
To me.... it seems you're describing a boot up of an I5-8250U equipped Win10 pc, because that's the amount (or probably more) of time I have to wait in order to just open up a new excel file..... and type any info into it....

But I can immediately open a new LibreOffice Calc file in under 2 minutes after turning on the power switch of my RPi3B+ "multimedia" desktop .....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Moonmarch

Fri May 17, 2019 2:31 pm

On Raspbian OS, you can open "Task Manager" using the Ctrl+Alt+Del keyboard command, similar to what is available in Windows, to see which programs are using the most system resources, within "Task Manager," you can see how much RAM is available on the computer. You can run the "htop" utility to see CPU load per CPU, you can see which CPU is being utilized the most, you can install "htop" using the terminal with the command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install htop

Code: Select all

sudo htop
Not every program is multi threaded, uses more than 1 CPU, for the RPI3, if CPU usage is at 25% all the time, that means only 1 CPU is being used. Using lighter weight programs can lower CPU usage, using a email client program on the RPI is faster than using the Outlook website within a web browser for emails.

fruitoftheloom

Fri May 17, 2019 2:36 pm

Madtom wrote:

Thanks

Is your SD Card genuine ??
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Return to “General discussion”