JamerTheProgrammer

I just pulled something off my Pi ;(

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Hey!
I have no idea what I just pulled off my 256mb RPI but it was this sylo shaped component soldered onto the board next to the power port.
It has this written on it:2f22016h
I picked it up in the dark without thinking and I pulled my cable out by using the sylo shaped component on the board for force (unintentionally ) and it sadly snapped off while it was on.
It was still on when I pulled it off.
Think I can solder it back on or something?
Any ideas?
Thanks!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: I just pulled something off my Pi ;(

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:58 pm

You are not the only one, its an electrolytic capacitor, and has no function other than as a "local reservoir" for (5V) energy from the PSU, its location near the mini-B USB connector makes it vulnerable. so many people have found to their detriment that it isn't a good place to put your thumb on when pulling the plug.
Unfortunately such "top-hat" capacitors are mechanically quite weak, although there have been attempts to make the solder-pads stronger. The location of the capacitor is more or less fixed due to its function, and mechanically more stable capacitors do exist but are much more expensive.

The good news is that there is a very high likelihood that the PI will function fine without it.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:06 pm

And in future, and for anyone else in danger of the same...

Only ever apply force using the through-hole components: the ethernet and USB sockets. Although they are on the other end of the board, the board is small enough that it is easy enough to do. Since they are grounded you are also less likely to fry something with a static discharge.

hop

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:07 pm

mahjongg wrote:You are not the only one, its an electrolytic capacitor, and has no function other than as a "local reservoir" for (5V) energy from the PSU, its location near the mini-B USB connector makes it vulnerable. so many people have found to their detriment that it isn't a good place to put your thumb on when pulling the plug.
Unfortunately such "top-hat" capacitors are mechanically quite weak, although there have been attempts to make the solder-pads stronger. The location of the capacitor is more or less fixed due to its function, and mechanically more stable capacitors do exist but are much more expensive.

The good news is that there is a very high likelihood that the PI will function fine without it.
Your very lucky OP, maybe you should invest in a case! :lol:

JamerTheProgrammer

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:56 pm

hop wrote:
mahjongg wrote:You are not the only one, its an electrolytic capacitor, and has no function other than as a "local reservoir" for (5V) energy from the PSU, its location near the mini-B USB connector makes it vulnerable. so many people have found to their detriment that it isn't a good place to put your thumb on when pulling the plug.

Your very lucky OP, maybe you should invest in a case! :lol:
:lol: Yep!
Im gonna stop being such a cheap git and invest in one. :lol:

MattHawkinsUK

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:14 pm

Pulling bits off is all part of the fun :)
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:28 am

MattHawkinsUK wrote:Pulling bits off is all part of the fun :)
Too right, so is overvolting the unofficial way :lol: (Don't try this at home kids - you WILL fry your Pi)
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

jrt_ms1995

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:12 pm

So, does anyone have a part number or catalog number for this capacitor? My thumb slipped this morning plugging in the power and I knocked my C6 loose. While my soldering skills are previously non-existent, I'm more than willing to try resecuring this capacitor (as I have two more Pis), but I'd like to have a spare capacitor on hand before I try.
Thanks,
John

malakai

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:14 pm

I believe the wiki says it's just a 220uf 16v capacitor surface mount. Any popular site should have them.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

jrt_ms1995

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:31 pm

malakai wrote:I believe the wiki says it's just a 220uf 16v capacitor surface mount. Any popular site should have them.
Yes, I've got that from the e-linux site, but as I'm not that knowledgeable on electronics (I'm just a simple aerospace engineer), I often encounter the situation where too many possibilities lead to rampant indecision and perpetual researching. :) For example, browsing the Newark online catalog now I see ceramic, RF, tantalum, UHC, aluminum electrolytic, AC (I'm sure it's not this one!), film, and mica capacitors, and then breakdowns under each by manufacturer. I'll get there eventually, though.

Thanks.

hop

Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:35 pm

Its a 220uf 16v capacitor surface mount (Electrolytic)

jrt_ms1995

Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:40 pm

hop wrote:Its a 220uf 16v capacitor surface mount (Electrolytic)
Pretty much like this one http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/produc ... ku=38M1317, then.

Return to “General discussion”