Gulrej Ansari
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 10:34 am

How to flash using Raspberry Pi 3

Wed May 08, 2019 10:43 am

Hello,

We have a product which is included STM8 and Z-Wave, We can flash STM8 through SWIM interface and Z-Wave through SPI interface

It is good to flashing single board, but we have the challenge to flash 12 board panel in a single shot

We want to use Raspberry Pi to flashing panel, it will cover both Z-wave and STM8 flashing.

Can we use Raspberry Pi for the flashing? Kindly give the response or guide for the same

Thanks,
Gulrej

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10577
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: How to flash using Raspberry Pi 3

Wed May 08, 2019 1:47 pm

There is some information missing here. Are you talking about adding those packages to a microSD card as the OS for a Pi, or are you talking about adding to or generally installing the packages to the eMMC flash storage of a Compute Module?

In either case, you could build an image that includes the packages in your preferred OS image and flash the whole image all at once.

drgeoff
Posts: 9595
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: How to flash using Raspberry Pi 3

Wed May 08, 2019 3:57 pm

AIUI the OP wants to use a RPi to flash two other types of hardware. He needs to to be told how to hardware interface the RPi to those other hardwares. And he needs to be told what software he can use on the RPi.

And he wants to flash 12 pairs of the other hardwares at a time.

(SWIM is a hardware interface/protocol for programming the ST (that's a manufacturer) range of 8 bit micro-controllers).

Gulrej Ansari
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 10:34 am

Re: How to flash using Raspberry Pi 3

Thu May 09, 2019 4:00 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 1:47 pm
There is some information missing here. Are you talking about adding those packages to a microSD card as the OS for a Pi, or are you talking about adding to or generally installing the packages to the eMMC flash storage of a Compute Module?

In either case, you could build an image that includes the packages in your preferred OS image and flash the whole image all at once.

I want to programme through RPi, is it possible? we have 12 PCBA in a single panel, each PCBA have Z-Wave and STM8 MCU
For the Z-Wave SPI interface is available for programming and for STM8 SWIM (Single Wire Interface Module) is available for programming

So, we need to do parallel programming to all PCBA's at the same time through the RPi, is it possible? if yes then how? Kindly do the needful for the same

Gulrej Ansari
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 10:34 am

Re: How to flash using Raspberry Pi 3

Thu May 09, 2019 4:02 am

drgeoff wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 3:57 pm
AIUI the OP wants to use a RPi to flash two other types of hardware. He needs to to be told how to hardware interface the RPi to those other hardwares. And he needs to be told what software he can use on the RPi.

And he wants to flash 12 pairs of the other hardwares at a time.

(SWIM is a hardware interface/protocol for programming the ST (that's a manufacturer) range of 8 bit micro-controllers).
Yes, you are correct, I need to do 2 hardware interface programming through the RPi

Gulrej Ansari
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 08, 2019 10:34 am

Re: How to flash using Raspberry Pi 3

Fri May 10, 2019 3:52 am

Michael25 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:57 am
Yeah,performing 2 hardware interface programming through RPI should help.It would be much easier and safer option
Thanks for the answer, can you please guide how it is possible?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23065
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: How to flash using Raspberry Pi 3

Fri May 10, 2019 8:43 am

Gulrej Ansari wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:52 am
Michael25 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:57 am
Yeah,performing 2 hardware interface programming through RPI should help.It would be much easier and safer option
Thanks for the answer, can you please guide how it is possible?
Sorry, that poster was spammer. Post now deleted.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

MarkTF
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:59 pm

Re: How to flash using Raspberry Pi 3

Fri May 10, 2019 9:34 pm

The open source "stm8flash" utility builds and runs on RaspberryPi, so flashing the STM8 via USB/STLink/SWIM is possible.

The official STM8 development tools are all Windows, but "SDCC" supports STM8. If one wants to use the STM libraries, they'll have to be modified to be compatible with SDCC. There is an "SDuino" project which provides limited library support using Arduino-like paradigms and the Arduino IDE.

I've no experience with Z-Wave.

https://github.com/vdudouyt/stm8flash
http://sdcc.sourceforge.net/
https://github.com/tenbaht/sduino

Return to “General discussion”