diskdude

Automomous Pi - battery duration?

Wed May 01, 2019 2:28 pm

Dear Pi Forum
I have looked through previous posts but I am still uncertain as to how to power a Pi from batteries.
I want to configure standalone Pi systems (2+) to take wildlife photos - example: positioned in front of fox/badger sets to film/photo when movement. I have the Pi with camera part working already but I now need to put them into camouflaged boxes (again, all ready to go) with a battery which lasts as long as possible.
Suggestions please…
Portable phone power banks
Motorbike battery
Hobby boat batteries
etc….

Thanks in advance...

MarkTF

Re: Automomous Pi - battery duration?

Wed May 01, 2019 6:33 pm

If one were to take the requirement "a battery which lasts as long as possible" literally, one might look at the largest capacity battery in existence. Unless it's been superseded this is the Hornsdale Power Reserve in Australia(1) at 129 MegaWatt Hours capacity. Ignoring a lot of real world issues this would power a 3 Watt RPi + camera setup for something in excess of 4000 years.

I bring this up not to be a jackass, though that may be the case, but to illustrate that the key parameters for choosing a portable power solution are specifying how much power it needs to provide and how long it needs to provide it.

Anyway, this thread: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=237950&p=1454395

(1) https://hornsdalepowerreserve.com.au/

diskdude

Re: Automomous Pi - battery duration?

Fri May 03, 2019 1:46 pm

Thank you - I'll check out the link. Regards.

Return to “General discussion”