Yammers

SSH

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:36 pm

Hi there

I have installed my plex media server on to my Rasberry Pi 3 B+ however that a few things that appear to be not working

1. when i disconetc my ethernet cable i can not SSH into my pie
2. Only my USB Hard drive will Auto Mount my usb Pen drive will not but did before the install of plex.

Can plex be installed on the rasberry pie with out using the command consol if i was to download arm 7 from plex itself.

default_user8

Re: SSH

Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:48 pm

Yammers wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:36 pm
Hi there

I have installed my plex media server on to my Rasberry Pi 3 B+ however that a few things that appear to be not working

1. when i disconetc my ethernet cable i can not SSH into my pie
2. Only my USB Hard drive will Auto Mount my usb Pen drive will not but did before the install of plex.

Can plex be installed on the rasberry pie with out using the command consol if i was to download arm 7 from plex itself.
#1 Your ethernet and wifi will have a different IP address, when you try to ssh into your pi are you using the correct ip?
#2 I'm assuming that the hard drive is what you are using for your media library, if so you should add that mount point in your fstab to avoid any confusion.
#3 either way you will still have to use cli to install plex media server.

Here is a link to help with your automount issues:
viewtopic.php?t=205016
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

Yammers

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:10 am

Thank you

can you elaborate on

#3 either way you will still have to use cli to install plex media server.

Yammers

Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:12 am

#1 Your ethernet and wifi will have a different IP address, when you try to ssh into your pi are you using the correct ip? - I am using the Same IP address that it ships with this have not been changed exmple 192.163.1.xxx

access point uses the static ip address from the guide on here.

by all means if you want to dial into my pie and have alook let me know
i

default_user8

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:41 am

Yammers wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:12 am
#1 Your ethernet and wifi will have a different IP address, when you try to ssh into your pi are you using the correct ip? - I am using the Same IP address that it ships with this have not been changed exmple 192.163.1.xxx

access point uses the static ip address from the guide on here.

by all means if you want to dial into my pie and have alook let me know
i
#3 I should have asked for more info on this question, but i'm guessing you are referring to the rasplex image. If so you would still need to ssh into your pi for some issues, although i wouldn't switch to the rasplex image, installing plex from the CLI isn't really that hard.
Here is a link to the guide i use to install plex:https://medium.com/@nem25/plex-media-se ... ace75f2b1d only use the parts that you need.

#1 " I am using the Same IP address that it ships with this have not been changed exmple 192.163.1.xxx" Your Pi does not "ship" with an ip address, the dhcp server in your router assigns an ip address to your pi, as i stated your ethernet and adapter and your wifi adapter built into your pi will request an ip address from your router individually because the each have their own mac address. So unless you edited your dhcpcd.conf file your pi has 2 different ip addresses, one for the wired connection and one for the wireless connection.

Have you connected to your plex server from another device yet, a tv app or your computer, whatever ip address you used to connect to your plex server you can use to connect via ssh.

And I would not suggest allowing anyone access to your pi other than yourself. ;)

Yammers

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:47 am

No i have used this guide here for setting up the access point

https://github.com/raspberrypi/document ... s-point.md

and followed a guide youtube on how to install plex media server not using ras plex as i beleive thi is a client not the server trying to use the pi as as on the go media server so my kids can watch films when on the in the car etc.

side questions is emby better and what is better osmc or libre elec just looking for another projet when i get this one working.

default_user8

Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:29 pm

Yammers wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:47 am
No i have used this guide here for setting up the access point

https://github.com/raspberrypi/document ... s-point.md

and followed a guide youtube on how to install plex media server not using ras plex as i beleive thi is a client not the server trying to use the pi as as on the go media server so my kids can watch films when on the in the car etc.

side questions is emby better and what is better osmc or libre elec just looking for another projet when i get this one working.
Ok, I'm not sure why you are trying to setup your pi as an access point, but i'm guessing you are trying to use a tablet as your screen and connect to your pi via wifi. That is a novel approach and i see no reason why it wouldn't work. As far as the rest, you need to setup plex media server on your pi and then connect to the pi with whatever it is you are trying to use as your plex clients at the static ip address you set in your dhcpcd.conf file, which is a pretty straight forward task. I'm not sure where you started from, but i would start from scratch with the raspbian light image. Add an empty text file named ssh to the boot partition before first boot and ssh will be enabled automatically. Use the guide i sent you starting at"Static IP Address", test your setup for functionality on your home network since you should be already connected to your home network via ethernet. Once you are sure it is working correctly then use the guide you used setup the AP.

Yammers

Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:13 pm

Hi I have got the access point working and plex media server working on the ras pi. no i have the following problems

my usb stick is now mounted and works but it cat see my usb hard drive or files. also i have connected my tablet to the wireless access point on the pi and have i am currently trying to stream from the access point to my tablet a film. the Lego movie. i am using the plex client on my table and it appears to now work. just get the status symbol spinning round and nothing happens, any surgestions.

default_user8

Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:45 am

Yammers wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:13 pm
Hi I have got the access point working and plex media server working on the ras pi. no i have the following problems

my usb stick is now mounted and works but it cat see my usb hard drive or files. also i have connected my tablet to the wireless access point on the pi and have i am currently trying to stream from the access point to my tablet a film. the Lego movie. i am using the plex client on my table and it appears to now work. just get the status symbol spinning round and nothing happens, any surgestions.
It will be a pain to do, but you need to do some testing with your setup, i've found that plex likes the .avi format of video best for streaming to my smart tv's. Also, if you find that you need to reformat your video's make them as small a file size as possible, I find that also helps. As far as your hard drive issue, what is the output of sudo fdisk -l when your usb sitck, and the hard drive are connected? That should show you any and all connected storage devices connected to your pi.

Return to “General discussion”