MisterioBarbarosa

Plans on Buying RaspberryPi

Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:19 pm

First of i apologize for throwing a repeated question here and hi, hope you have an amazing day!
Long Story short i'm a newbie NOOB in Tech ( :oops: ) and just started learning Javascript and web development couple of months ago.
What fascinated me as a kid was tech and things you could create and with me having a job i can actually afford to do it, that's how i came to RaspberryPI. with boring and unnecessary part out of the way. After doing (terrible) research i thought i'd ask here for help. i need help choosing which RaspberryPI model to get `Raspberry Pi 3 B+ (PLUS) Starter Kit` is my current choice and second ( not sure if relevant here ) is, if there is any great Course,Book,Website,Tutorial to follow, where i can learn Python using RaspberryPi

W. H. Heydt

Re: Plans on Buying RaspberryPi

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:05 am

Most starter kits are okay. The basics are: Pi (Pi3B+ is the current top of the line, so the best to start with), microSD card--at least 8GB, USB keyboard (which you may have), USB mouse (which you may have), a monitor with DVI or HDMI input (which you may have), a GOOD PSU (most of us here recommend the one sold under the RPF name), and the cables to connect things together. Note that kits don't include a monitor and you may have much of the rest of what is needed.

This very site has a great deal of material and references to get started with Python.

echmain

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:35 am

Also consider getting the official Raspberry Pi magazine (MagPi). Lots of great tutorials and project ideas.

You can subscribe or download the pdf editions free.

shrewdgamer

Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:44 am

Welcome to the forum, MisterioBarbarosa.

Depending on which country you live in and what the starter kit contains, it could be sufficient. If it doesn't contain a power adapter, keyboard and mouse, you have to supply them yourself or buy them separately. You'll need a monitor or TV with HDMI input. Or you have to buy converter from HDMI to VGA, or HDMI to DVI, whatever input your display unit has. If the starter comes with an SD card, it'll most likely contain NOOBs, which is used to install operating systems on to the SD card for Raspberry Pi, and you'll need an Internet connection to download those.

Raspberry Pi's official magazine MagPi has free resources for programming, I don't know if it has any Python ebooks, but whatever free Python course or tutorial you find on the Internet, would be compatible with Raspberry Pi's Python. You can find these free courses on Coursera.org, edx.org and many such similar sites.
I have:
Raspberry Pi 3B+ with official power supply
Sandisk Class 10 SD card with Raspbian Stretch full

W. H. Heydt

Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:12 am

shrewdgamer wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:44 am
You'll need a monitor or TV with HDMI input. Or you have to buy converter from HDMI to VGA, or HDMI to DVI, whatever input your display unit has.
Avoid HDMI to VGA, is at all possible. DVI-D is compatible with HDMI so no "converter" is needed, just an HDMI to DVI cable is sufficient. If you already have an HDMI cable, you can get simple, inexpensive HDMI to DVI adapters.

If you don't have a spare monitor and you don't have, or don't want to "share" your TV, ask around. Friends or family may have a monitor they're not using (and may even be happy to have you take off their hands). Companies that are upgrading desktop PCs may be getting rid of monitors that they'd be happy to gvie you so long as you haul them away so they don't have to pay electronics disposal fees. Or you can hunt around for whatever second hand store/thrift shop tends to get monitors and find decent ones for very low prices (my best acquisition that way was 19" 1280x1024 monitor with DVI input for $10).

mrreality13

Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:54 am

i got this kit last month ,very happy with it,did have to use a nail file to make it easier to remove sd card a tiny bit,after exhaustive research i determined the few bucks i would a saved buying the stuff separate was just too annoying.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L1 ... UTF8&psc=1
did get this case for it after a few weeks

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079M ... UTF8&psc=1

and on my zero i use this hdmi to vga and works just fine
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MS ... UTF8&psc=1
remember ,never approach a computer thinking this will only take a minute
~~pi zero w and a 3b+

Return to “General discussion”