mrreality13
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:45 am
Location: texas usa

This 10$ pcb adds keyboard to a PI zero, for a handheld PC.

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:10 am

https://www.tindie.com/products/electro ... zero-pcb/#

This $10 PCB lets you build a handheld PC with a Raspberry Pi Zero W (plus a display)
Image


https://liliputing.com/2019/03/this-10- ... splay.html
remember ,never approach a computer thinking this will only take a minute
~~pi zero w and a 3b+

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2404
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: seen this yet gang

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:44 am

But why azerty keyboard.
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 14456
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: seen this yet gang

Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:58 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:44 am
But why azerty keyboard.
Good catch, I hadn't spotted that.

I suspect because it was designed in France.

Heater
Posts: 12660
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: seen this yet gang

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:30 am

Because Dr Cadic Philippe who created it is French.

No problem. It's open source so it won't take much effort to change the keyboard layout as you like.

https://github.com/ccadic/RaspberryPagernRF24

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2404
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: seen this yet gang

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:06 am

So looking into it, it's just the PCB.
No buttons, no screen, no chips, nothing.

Or have I misunderstood the description?
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

User avatar
PeterO
Posts: 4727
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: seen this yet gang

Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:13 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:06 am
So looking into it, it's just the PCB.
No buttons, no screen, no chips, nothing.

Or have I misunderstood the description?
"This listing is for the PCB only. The components are not included. The RPI ZERO W is also not included"

Hard to see how it could be made any clearer :roll:

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

User avatar
Yukon Cornelius
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:24 am

Re: This 10$ pcb adds keyboard to a PI zero, for a handheld PC.

Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:05 pm

mrreality13 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:10 am
https://www.tindie.com/products/electro ... zero-pcb/#

This $10 PCB lets you build a handheld PC with a Raspberry Pi Zero W (plus a display)


https://liliputing.com/2019/03/this-10- ... splay.html
That's an interesting idea , thanks for posting .

Did you check out the extra components needed , and roughly how much they cost ?

User avatar
scruss
Posts: 2265
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: Toronto, ON
Contact: Website

Re: This 10$ pcb adds keyboard to a PI zero, for a handheld PC.

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:00 pm

Ooh, somebody somewhere really liked the Pocket C.H.I.P … but mercifully, not enough to use the bare dome-switches of that unit
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 4241
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: seen this yet gang

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:42 pm

PeterO wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:13 am
Hard to see how it could be made any clearer :roll:
No keyboard switches, no header, no screen, etc. Pretty much just a bare PCB. So, how could they be clearer? How about a list of components needed to make this into a working product like the one in their demo video. Oh wait, that one wasn't working (they claimed everything was working, then said they still hadn't tested the keyboard because they were compiling the kernel).

Interesting idea. Poor implementation.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 14456
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: This 10$ pcb adds keyboard to a PI zero, for a handheld PC.

Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:51 pm

How is powered?

I see a microUSB socket on a LiPo Charge/Protection module, but not the battery or a boost circuit to provide 5V from the battery when charged. Maybe it is powered directly from the USB input and doesn't use the battery at all?

mrreality13
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:45 am
Location: texas usa

Re: This 10$ pcb adds keyboard to a PI zero, for a handheld PC.

Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:01 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:05 pm
mrreality13 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:10 am
https://www.tindie.com/products/electro ... zero-pcb/#

This $10 PCB lets you build a handheld PC with a Raspberry Pi Zero W (plus a display)


https://liliputing.com/2019/03/this-10- ... splay.html
That's an interesting idea , thanks for posting .

Did you check out the extra components needed , and roughly how much they cost ?
no i didn't as its too involved for my skill level(haven't soldered in 30 yrs) and wallet at this time
remember ,never approach a computer thinking this will only take a minute
~~pi zero w and a 3b+

ccadic
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:36 am

Re: seen this yet gang

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:47 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:44 am
But why azerty keyboard.
Because I am french.
200 PCB went out in 24 hours after this article on ZDNET.
I got many requests for a QWERTY KB.
I am now working on that.
Also on a project of delivering a fully assembled item + case as I got a cascade of requests for that

ccadic
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:36 am

Re: seen this yet gang

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:48 am

Heater wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:30 am
Because Dr Cadic Philippe who created it is French.

No problem. It's open source so it won't take much effort to change the keyboard layout as you like.

https://github.com/ccadic/RaspberryPagernRF24
It is very easy to remap the KB (Boot/Overlay) so it should not be an issue.
Basically you can remap any key on the KB

But I'm working on a Qwerty and Russian KB

ccadic
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:36 am

Re: This 10$ pcb adds keyboard to a PI zero, for a handheld PC.

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:50 am

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:05 pm
mrreality13 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:10 am
https://www.tindie.com/products/electro ... zero-pcb/#

This $10 PCB lets you build a handheld PC with a Raspberry Pi Zero W (plus a display)


https://liliputing.com/2019/03/this-10- ... splay.html
That's an interesting idea , thanks for posting .

Did you check out the extra components needed , and roughly how much they cost ?
You have a Simple BOM on the GITHUB Link
Here: https://github.com/ccadic/RaspberryPage ... onents.txt


We also have a FB group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/204297487146235/

ccadic
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:36 am

Re: This 10$ pcb adds keyboard to a PI zero, for a handheld PC.

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:56 am

rpdom wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:51 pm
How is powered?

I see a microUSB socket on a LiPo Charge/Protection module, but not the battery or a boost circuit to provide 5V from the battery when charged. Maybe it is powered directly from the USB input and doesn't use the battery at all?
It uses a TP4056 usb charger to charge a 1800 mAh batt (lipo). The videos show a usb wire, that's true.
It is also autonomous on the battery (6hours of life on my prototypes)

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 2404
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia

Re: seen this yet gang

Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:54 am

ccadic wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:47 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:44 am
But why azerty keyboard.
Because I am french.
200 PCB went out in 24 hours after this article on ZDNET.
I got many requests for a QWERTY KB.
I am now working on that.
Also on a project of delivering a fully assembled item + case as I got a cascade of requests for that
I'm sorry if that particular remark sounded rude, indeed I did not intend it to be. I simply missed the fact it was developed by someone who is French. I thought qwerty was used in most countries around the world, so never thought to check.

Was genuinely confused as to the choice to use, what I mistakenly thought was, a rare keyboard layout.

My apologies about that.
Google is ubiquitous - Try it today, it's free!
https://opensource.com/life/16/10/how-ask-technical-questions

Return to “General discussion”