snick

Network setup share WiFi with fallback

Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:25 pm

Having trouble getting this right.
I need to use the WiFi on a pi to share to Ethernet.
IPad connects to pi via usb Ethernet adapter. PI shares WiFi connection to Ethernet with dchp etc
I had this working using the gnome network tools gui on my Pi.
But the complication is that I have to send an sd card image to another user. Ethernet connection appears to be tied to s specific mac address and so does not work in separate pi when user loads this image. Cannot connect iPad to pi
Any ideas?

snick

Re: Network setup share WiFi with fallback

Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:31 am

Thanks for that, as far as I can see that would require the person receiving the end image to connect to the wifi to create the bridge?
My goal is to create the bridge so that they get an Ip address from the Pi when connected over ethernet and VNC.
They can then connect to the wifi of their choice (this is likely to change depending on their location)
And the basic VNC connection will work and the Wifi (whatever network) will pass through to the Ethernet port.
Ideally, the Pi Ip will be fixed so that the shortcuts they need for VNC and samba filesharing wont need to be configured on site.
The end user is not a CLI type of person.
My goal is for them to rock up, boot the pi, connect via VNC and grab the wifi connection and they are functioning.
Last edited by snick on Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snick

Re: Network setup share WiFi with fallback

Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:14 pm

I did get the 1st of those links to work, sort of, it wouldn't announce itself as a router - the Ipad didn't get a DCHP assigned IP, but a manual IP address on the ipad and it connected OK. And also passed through the internet connection.
Am sending the SD card image to the end user now so fingers crossed.

Return to “General discussion”