SFX Group

Which SD card technology to use?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:44 pm

SD, SDHC, SDXC

I am looking at Kingston, most of there cards will only work on SDHC, will this work on the 512Mb board?

I am trying to find something fast for the system to decrease load time.
Many Thanks
Ashley

© Copyright 2015 - www.ashleygriffin.ca

redhawk

Re: Which SD card technology to use?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:19 pm

I don't believe SDXC will work in the PI even some Class 10 SDHC cards have been known to cause compatibility problems.
So basically you have the choice of SD (2GB card or less capacity) or SDHC (4GB card or more capacity).
All memory card readers can handle SD however some depending on how old it is cannot read / write SDHD correctly.
If you find that this is the case for you then you need a SDHC compatible card reader like the ones sold in Poundland.
Given the choice of memory cards I would actually go for a Micro SD + SD adapter you can leave the adapter inside the PI while you flash the memory card.
This reduces wear and tear on the PI SD card holder because you're not constantly removing in and out the adapter.
(I'm using Kingston 8GB class 4 MicroSD with Rasbian and not encountered a single problem so far Raspbmc however is another story)

Richard S.

notarat

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:23 pm

SD or SDHC in the card reader on the Pi itself. I have used 32GB, 16GB, 8GB, 4GB and 2GB SD & SDHC cards in mine without problems.

You can use any of the three technologies with your powered USB hub.

I use a 128GB SDXC Lexar card in a USB Adapter, 64GB San Disk in a Card Reader, and (2) 32GB Micro SDHC cards (1 in a USB adapter. and the other in the Card Reader)

It reads all of them just fine.

notarat

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:25 pm

redhawk wrote:I don't believe SDXC will work in the PI even some Class 10 SDHC cards have been known to cause compatibility problems.
So basically you have the choice of SD (2GB card or less capacity) or SDHC (4GB card or more capacity).
All memory card readers can handle SD however some depending on how old it is cannot read / write SDHD correctly.
If you find that this is the case for you then you need a SDHC compatible card reader like the ones sold in Poundland.
Given the choice of memory cards I would actually go for a Micro SD + SD adapter you can leave the adapter inside the PI while you flash the memory card.
This reduces wear and tear on the PI SD card holder because you're not constantly removing in and out the adapter.
(I'm using Kingston 8GB class 4 MicroSD with Rasbian and not encountered a single problem so far Raspbmc however is another story)

Richard S.
SDXC Cards will not work in the Pi's SD Card holder. They work just fine in a Card Reader or Powered USB Hub.

I have updated with Wiki page to show which SDXC cards I have used successfully, and listed the US Robotics USB 3.0 Dual SD Card Reader (it works at USB 2.0 speed when plugged into the USB Hub)

dcarrion87

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:52 am

Just thought I'd give a shout out to my SandDisk Extreme SDHC UHS-1 4GB card. Works wonderfully in my 512MB RAM Model B Raspberry Pi. I also have my system overclocked without scaling governor to 950MHz without any IO issues.

I use a generic Dick Smith 33-in-1 SD card reader that I picked up walking past the store one day to do my DD stuff.

Cheers

Daniel

evaldas

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:19 pm

What's the highest speed SD controller on Raspberry Pi Rev2 can read data from the card? In preparation of Raspberry Pies arrival I'm looking around what cards should I buy. Should I opt for Class 4 (4 MB/s), Class 10 (10 MB/s), or even I see A-DATA advertises some of their Class 10 cards support 20 MB/s?

itimpi

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm

The problem is that what matters most for the Pi in perceived performance is random access speed, whereas all the figures you see concentrate on serial I/O. There appears in most cases to be no direct relationship between the class and quoted speeds.

ludespeedny

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:02 pm

I had a problem with my class 10 adata 8gb card, just FYI. I am running a class 10 8gb Transcend card with Raspbmc and it is pretty quick. I can boot in about a minute. Don't know if that helps.

maverickit

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:53 pm

I have a samsung 8GB sdhc class 10, and it works fine. The Pi is very quick with this card.

Return to “General discussion”