crocket

Re: Is there a cheap and reliable UPS for raspberry pi 3b+?

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:51 am

Andyroo wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:39 pm
Its a lot better to have frequent and often backups :o
I am going to stick to a surge protector for now although I have never needed a surge protector in my life. I will buy a sine-wave UPS or pay for off-site backups when I make money.

CharlesGodwin

Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:51 pm

If it's a cheap and reliable UPS you want, I think cheap OR reliable is your only choice. I think you can find some for under a $US 100 but unless you buy one that includes a communications interface so the Pi can know the power is about to go away as the UPS batteries are failing then the UPS has limited functionality. It can "buffer" short power failures but if it's a long one, the UPS will finally run down.

I have discovered through years of using Pi's, with and without attached UPS, that the Achilles heel is the SD card. They fail regardless of how well you treat them. I have no long term experience with USB flash drives but forums suggests they too have a short mean time to failure.

I have discovered, in North America at least, that the price of "small" SSD drives have plummeted to the point of being competitive with some SD and USB drives. Amazon is offering brand name 120GB SSD units for less that $US 30, add another 5 bucks for a case with cable and you have a fast "hard" drive that's been designed for more abuse than an SD card.

so... my point is you can probably get away with using a SSD drive instead and add a small USB power pack for buffering short duration power outages. Not too expensive and you get a bonus of faster and bigger storage.

crocket

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:08 pm

CharlesGodwin wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:51 pm
If it's a cheap and reliable UPS you want, I think cheap OR reliable is your only choice. I think you can find some for under a $US 100 but unless you buy one that includes a communications interface so the Pi can know the power is about to go away as the UPS batteries are failing then the UPS has limited functionality. It can "buffer" short power failures but if it's a long one, the UPS will finally run down.

I have discovered through years of using Pi's, with and without attached UPS, that the Achilles heel is the SD card. They fail regardless of how well you treat them. I have no long term experience with USB flash drives but forums suggests they too have a short mean time to failure.

I have discovered, in North America at least, that the price of "small" SSD drives have plummeted to the point of being competitive with some SD and USB drives. Amazon is offering brand name 120GB SSD units for less that $US 30, add another 5 bucks for a case with cable and you have a fast "hard" drive that's been designed for more abuse than an SD card.

so... my point is you can probably get away with using a SSD drive instead and add a small USB power pack for buffering short duration power outages. Not too expensive and you get a bonus of faster and bigger storage.
APC BE-550 with a battery costs ~93 USD in my region. It reports its status via a USB port. But, its power output is not sine wave but stepped wave which introduces tiny power cuts. Raspberry Pi may or may not shut down because of tiny power cuts.

With a USB powerbank, you can figure out whether mains power is available by checking ethernet connection or WiFi connection regularly because the (wireless) router is not protected by UPS. However, you cannot know the battery level of a USB powerbank because it is not a smart battery. It's difficult to know when I should replace a USB powerbank with a new one. Thus, you would have to buy a USB powerbank that has a power-level indicator and supports power pass-through and supplies electricity reliably when power goes out and comes back. If you want to protect not only RPi but also your desktop computer, it can be cheaper to just buy a UPS.

I have a new Samsung 32GB MLC microSD card. Would it not last 10~20 years if I avoid most writes by mounting tmpfs on many mount points such as /var/log and /tmp and /var/tmp? Most actual writes would be done by editing emacs org-mode files and synchronizing password database with my desktop and gentoo binary package upgrade. I use org-mode solely for task management.

Serveurperso

Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:45 pm

I bought *almost every* Raspberry PI UPS < $50 on the market and none are good for our little 5V robotics!

We need a reliable 24/7 UPS capable of charging during use that can filter out bad contact at the charging cable.
A voltage / state of charge I2C sensor is a mandatory feature.

The result is that majority burn/fry and/or reboot the raspberry PI.

Near all robots prototype on https://www.vigibot.com use the only one working, the Geekworm UPS PRO v1.1 RED PCB board. it need a retro engineering work on PCB to get a reliable operation (you just have to remove few components, no bridge!). But it is no longer manufactured!

So we did a kickstarter to produce this reliable & cheap power supply board for our small Raspberry PI robots. it must be cheap < $30.

The project is funded and there is still a week before the end : http://kck.st/2QuEvt3

Pascal
Make your own raspberry robot, control it over the internet in FPV mode with super low latency and securely share access on it to your friends with Vigibot.com! You are welcome to test our robots now!
https://www.vigibot.com (100% free, no ads)

Return to “General discussion”