Imperf3kt

Re: A couple of new Pi3B+ Not booting - 3V3 not working. Looking for further information/support.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:29 am

liamkennedy wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:06 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:36 am
Was anything ever connected to the GPIO, not just right now, but at any point in the Pi's life?
Who are you asking that question of?
Sorry, didn't specify.
I was asking dannyk6
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

liamkennedy

Re: A couple of new Pi3B+ Not booting - 3V3 not working. Looking for further information/support.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:36 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:29 am
Sorry, didn't specify.
I was asking dannyk6
I think this answers your question.
dannyk6 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:58 am
Nothing plugged into the GPIO. No chance of shorting the GPIO pins as the Pi's are placed in a plastic case before ever powering them up.

dannyk6

Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:20 pm

If you're asking me, no, nothing ever was connected to GPIO. By the time the Pi is powered up for the first time, it's installed in a plastic case, so there's zero chance any metal may have come in contact with the GPIO pins when the Pi is powered on.

creepandpeep

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:55 pm

+1 to the 'definitely not a specific issue with the pi3 b+'

I've used every iteration of Pi from the start and the originals are still going strong now - all except the 3b+ which has had the least use out of all of them - infact it's been brand new and sitting in a cupboard for months.

Planned a project to get stuck into on my last day off and, bam. Just stopped working mid use. Only keyboard and mouse in USB at time, doing nothing with the GPIO ports - I've never touched the GPIO ports on this Pi for anything in it's history.

Official Pi power supply - which still works with my other pis.

Removed all connected USB and the HDMI, still no luck. Change cards/new image...no luck. Red light. No green light.

My day is ruined :p

Jordanaras

Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:57 pm

Any update on this? Iam also having this problem, suddenly my raspberry pi 3b+ wont boot. 3V3 pins not outputing any voltage, while 5V works fine and i use the official power supply.

pcmanbob

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:16 pm

Jordanaras wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:57 pm
Any update on this? Iam also having this problem, suddenly my raspberry pi 3b+ wont boot. 3V3 pins not outputing any voltage, while 5V works fine and i use the official power supply.

An update on what ?
once the 3.3V fails on a pi the pi its dead, it's not repairable you have to just buy a new pi.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

emma1997

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:23 pm

I wonder if it's possible to tack on a 3.3v and 1.8v regulator. Dirt cheap and certainly less than a new Pi.

Or have designers gone too far protecting us from ourselves again and made it impossible from a firmware or software viewpoint?

davidcoton

Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:31 pm

emma1997 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:23 pm
I wonder if it's possible to tack on a 3.3v and 1.8v regulator. Dirt cheap and certainly less than a new Pi.

Or have designers gone too far protecting us from ourselves again and made it impossible from a firmware or software viewpoint?
No, it is not possible -- at least not without removing the existing regulator (non-trivial). Some people with suitable rework stations seem to have succeeded in like-for like replacement, but AIUI the PMIC is a pre-programmed part specifically for the Raspberry Pi, therefore difficult to source.

It's not that the designers have deliberately made life difficult, it's more that external regulators need to abide by precise sequencing of the power rails, and such a circuit (other than direct part replacement) is not dirt cheap, and is not worth developing on a one-off basis.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

emma1997

Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:03 am

I'm not suggesting every Pi off the assembly line be fitted with this as a new PCB revision. This is to revive a totally destroyed unit which is probably worth less than the cost of a 1/8 watt resistor now anyway.

not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This pi is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to that Cisco router 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is electrical processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!He's ****** snuffed it!..... THIS IS AN EX-Pi !!

As far as removing that chip it would take about 3 seconds with a dab of solder on a chisel tip. I'm not sure about the sequencing issue but doubt that matters. Certainly worth a try considering hundreds and possibly thousands of units out there in the same state.

DougieLawson

Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:24 am

It may be simple to de-solder the PMIC but the impossible part is that a replacement programmed to the Raspberry Pi Foundation design is not available.

So de-solder to your heart's content but you'll never be able to replace it without a donor chip from another dead RPi.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

rpdom

Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:07 am

The sequencing is important if you want to SoC to start up correctly without possible damage.

Jamesh has said that it may be possible for RPT to supply the correct version of the PMIC chip in quantities of 100 or more. It wouldn't be practical for them to handle orders smaller than that.

I have considered buying a batch and then selling them on in small quantities to anyone who is willing to try replacing their broken one, but I doubt there would be sufficient demand here to make that worth doing.
Unreadable squiggle

dnbaldwin

Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:57 am

I have followed several threads with interest and wish to add my own recent experience.

I have a variety of Raspberry Pis which I have been playing with for several years. Yesterday I was streaming video to a webpage using a pi-cam on a 3B+ that I have had for some time. It was running Buster. I can verify that the unit just abruptly ceased functioning. Period. Other than the camera, no other hardware was attached. The display went black and I thought the camera connection had been affected. Multiple attempts to restart resulted in only the red LED illuminating. The board is no longer functional on any level (other than as an LED)...

The usual troubleshooting and cross testing revealed this to be an issue with the device hardware itself. Not the SD card, software version etc. My strong suspicion having actually witnessed it die, was that a hardware component unexpectedly failed, though I do not have the expertise or equipment to test this.

In Australia, this '$35 computer' costs $AU 60 (minimum) and it would be a pity if the foundation wrote off possible hardware faults that may be the result of failure of a 50c SMD component. Although all units are shipped in working order, as mentioned in previous posts, this does not exclude the possibility of faulty components failing earlier than should be expected. Having invested several hundreds of dollars in RPF devices, accessories etc I would expect that reports of unexpected failure of the device be investigated thoroughly, prior to dismissing comments from those who have had similar experiences.

Just my two cents...

Return to “General discussion”