wyan

Attempting to make IchigoJam NOOBS image

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:09 pm

Hi all,

I've been attempting to prepare a NOOBS image to be able to install IchigoJam along with other images in a single SD card on a RPi1, but I'm having some difficulties along the way.

I couldn't find any guide on how to add a new NOOBS image, but looking at the existing images in the full distribution, I figured out I had to make a .tar.xz containing the files of the IchigoJam image, add a os.json and partitions.json files, and stick all this together in a folder inside the os/ folder of the NOOBS image (using the NOOBS lite since the full NOOBS didn't let me install RISC OS). I also added a PNG icon with the same name as the folder inside, to use as the icon.

The contents of os.json:

Code: Select all

{
    "description": "IchigoJam BASIC computer",
    "name": "IchigoJam",
    "supported_models": [
        "Pi Model",
        "Pi 2",
        "Pi Zero",
        "Pi 3",
        "Pi Compute Module 3"
    ],
}
and the partitions.json:

{
  "partitions": [
    {
      "label":                     "ICHIGOJAM",
      "filesystem_type":           "FAT",
      "partition_size_nominal":    512,
      "want_maximised":            true,
      "uncompressed_tarball_size": 120,
      "mkfs_options":              ""
    }
  ]
}
The problems I'm finding are:
  • No matter what name and description I give to my image on the os.json file, NOOBS doesn't display a name or description for this entry in the menu (it's a blank "phantom" entry with only the checkbox to install).
  • Once installed, the name and description in the boot menu are again blank. I have to manually fiddle inside the settings partition and add them back for them to appear. Ditto with the icon.
  • Finally, even if everything seems ok, booting the IchigoJam image brings a "File error" message displayed in the IchigoJam font, instead of the usual start message, and it hangs.
So basically I was wondering if anyone could help me setting up the IchigoJam image in the NOOBS SD card, or whether anyone has any idea of the cause of the "File error"...

Thanks in any case :)

fruitoftheloom

Re: Attempting to make IchigoJam NOOBS image

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:47 am

wyan wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:09 pm
Hi all,

I've been attempting to prepare a NOOBS image to be able to install IchigoJam along with other images in a single SD card on a RPi1, but I'm having some difficulties along the way.

I couldn't find any guide on how to add a new NOOBS image, but looking at the existing images in the full distribution, I figured out I had to make a .tar.xz containing the files of the IchigoJam image, add a os.json and partitions.json files, and stick all this together in a folder inside the os/ folder of the NOOBS image (using the NOOBS lite since the full NOOBS didn't let me install RISC OS). I also added a PNG icon with the same name as the folder inside, to use as the icon.

The contents of os.json:

{
    "description": "IchigoJam BASIC computer",
    "name": "IchigoJam",
    "supported_models": [
        "Pi Model",
        "Pi 2",
        "Pi Zero",
        "Pi 3",
        "Pi Compute Module 3"
    ],
}
and the partitions.json:

{
  "partitions": [
    {
      "label":                     "ICHIGOJAM",
      "filesystem_type":           "FAT",
      "partition_size_nominal":    512,
      "want_maximised":            true,
      "uncompressed_tarball_size": 120,
      "mkfs_options":              ""
    }
  ]
}
The problems I'm finding are:
  • No matter what name and description I give to my image on the os.json file, NOOBS doesn't display a name or description for this entry in the menu (it's a blank "phantom" entry with only the checkbox to install).
  • Once installed, the name and description in the boot menu are again blank. I have to manually fiddle inside the settings partition and add them back for them to appear. Ditto with the icon.
  • Finally, even if everything seems ok, booting the IchigoJam image brings a "File error" message displayed in the IchigoJam font, instead of the usual start message, and it hangs.
So basically I was wondering if anyone could help me setting up the IchigoJam image in the NOOBS SD card, or whether anyone has any idea of the cause of the "File error"...

Thanks in any case :)

NoobS is a one shot wonder with very little flexibility, it should be gracefully pensioned off and replaced by PiNN:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 3&t=142574
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

procount

Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:11 am

The instructions for creating a custom OS are the same for NOOBS and PINN.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/noobs/bl ... os-version

But I added more detail to PINN and created an example on my wiki.

https://github.com/procount/pinn/blob/m ... nced-usage

https://github.com/procount/pinn/wiki/H ... using-PINN
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

wyan

Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:50 am

Thanks for your replies!

I tried with PINN and a new SD card (in case this was the problem), but ended up having the same issues with IchigoJam (lack of displayed name/description/icon in the boot menu, and the "File error" issue at boot).

In the end I kept the new PINN card for the game emulators and the old card for Ichigo Jam, just as I was copying it to the card I noticed I had added an extra icon file to the IchigoJam folder at some point, so I'm wondering whether this was causing the "File error" issue. Maybe if I'm feeling adventurous I'll try to explore the PINN issue a bit more, but for now I'm leaving it as it is :)

it'd be fun to have IchigoJam available there at some point though!

Greetings!

procount

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:23 am

Well, it could be that IchigoJam is not suitable for booting off an alternative partition.
It's not a standard Linux system. Given the credits, it's probably a bare-metai type program that is based on Ultibo.
If it has hardcoded the partition number into the binary, then that might account for the "File Error" problem.
The icon and description can be sorted, but there's not much point if it can't be multi-booted.
And in any case, the license stipulates not to host the download on third-party websites, so I couldn't include it in PINN without a concession or contract.
I may have a further look at it to see if it can be multi-booted when I have time, but it's not a high priority.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

procount

Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:41 pm

I have contacted the IchigoJam Basic RPi Team developers and the "File error" is due to IchigoJam not being able to work properly on another partition.
The good news is that they are hoping to fix this for the next version and then they are then willing for it to be distributed through PINN.
It may take a little while, so have patience and watch this space (or the main PINN thread).

wyan

Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:57 pm

Thank you so much, that was really kind of you! Of course no hurries :)
And happy to hear that the IchigoJam developers are interested in this as well :)

Return to “General discussion”