Joe Schmoe

Re: Raspberry PI Made in China vs Made in UK

Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:52 pm

I am always amused when I see people post "It works for me" responses. I.e., someone says they have a problem, and tens of people chime in saying "It works for me". Of course, it works for you! That's not the point...

Look at it numerically. Suppose that the failure rate of UK-made RPi boards is 1%. Suppose that the failure rate of CN-made ones is 5%. Note: I am, of course, completely making these numbers up, but the point I'm making should be clear. That means that 19 out of 20 CN-made boards are "just fine". That doesn't change the fact that the failure rate among CN-made boards is 5 times what it "should" be.

Now do you see how silly it is for the owners of those 19 boards to post that "it works for me" ?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

thradtke

Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:17 pm

SteveSpencer wrote:All seven of mine are CN ones (mostly from RS), and with the exception of a dodgy SD slot on one of them (which I have since replaced), they are all OK.
One out of seven is remarkable. Reminds me to ask for the manufacturer before ordering a rev 2 board.
Rocket Scientist.

Heater

Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Joe Schmoe,

Quite so.

So do we know what the failure rates are? Do we know the return rates for customers of Chinese and UK boards ? Has the Raspberry Pi Foundation published such figures?

If not, anecdote, rumor and speculation are all we have to go on.

LemmeFatale

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:46 pm

thradtke wrote:
SteveSpencer wrote:All seven of mine are CN ones (mostly from RS), and with the exception of a dodgy SD slot on one of them (which I have since replaced), they are all OK.
One out of seven is remarkable. Reminds me to ask for the manufacturer before ordering a rev 2 board.
There's no need to, though (and herein lies a problem that can sometimes occur with thread necromancy, which I gather is why some are averse to it* ), as, apart from the red boards specifically for that market, they're all UK-made now. ;)

*I know that in some places, it's specifically advised to start a new thread containing a link to the relevant old one, for example, so as to avoid confusing newcomers and igniting flamewars over issues long since resolved. Of course, I suppose you could also always mark a bump with that "Arise thread, long since dead!" picture that floats around the internet on occasion... :lol:
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

thradtke

Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:06 am

LemmeFatale wrote:There's no need to, though [...], as, apart from the red boards specifically for that market, they're all UK-made now. ;)
I appreciate the advice but can't follow the reasoning, hence: Do RS and Farnell use the same components now?
Rocket Scientist.

DavidS

Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:11 am

Well kool. My most recent RPi was a made in china. All of mine have been so far.

So I look forward to my next order, finaly made in the UK.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Return to “General discussion”