goldenfenix

Re: Raspberry Pi Booting into LXDE

Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:07 am

LXDE

toxibunny

Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:01 pm

nice
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Tetsuo

Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:22 pm

That's excellent, LXDE is a really good little distro

Looking forward to trying it myself, [taps foot]

spamel

Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:47 pm

A minute thirty isn"t too bad, my PC takes longer than that and then I have to disable background services that automatically start. What is it like then running programs once logged in? And how would they compare to the start time on the same program operating on a windows OS?

ZenoArrow

Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Tetsuo said:

That's excellent, LXDE is a really good little distro  [taps foot]

Just to let you know, LXDE isn't a distro, it's a desktop environment. Judging by the background image on the login screen, the distro used was Debian.

SlayingDragons

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:23 pm

1:30 is incredibly slow, hmm… My computer boots up in 15 seconds, and that's slow. I'm hoping using ArchArm on it I can get similar results. Debian is a fairly bloated distro by default, so I'm hoping a system set up around the raspi will offer better results.

Then again, it's reading all the data from an SD card isn't it? That's definitely going to slow it down a lot. Good thing all the hardware will be the same, that way the kernel can be trimmed down a ton.

Anyways, thanks for sharing/raising my anxiousness for the release.

spamel

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:28 pm

I can make a cup of tea in a minute thirty, a concurrent activity! Start RasPi, brew up, get to work on RasPi with refreshing cup o" tea!

lotus49

Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:33 pm

It is fairly slow but when I get mine, I certainly don't expect to be turning mine on and off too often.

It looks like the standard distro will be Fedora rather than Debian but I'll be using Debian on mine.  Debian is the granddaddy of the distros and it's the one I know best and trust most.

It would be possible to create a tailored distro just for the R Pi but don't underestimate how much work this would involve - I just don't think it's worth the massive effort to save a few seconds startup time or a few MB of disk space.

ZenoArrow

Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:46 pm

lotus49 said:

It would be possible to create a tailored distro just for the R Pi but don't underestimate how much work this would involve - I just don't think it's worth the massive effort to save a few seconds startup time or a few MB of disk space.

Depends on what you mean by tailored distro. If you mean having to optimise each package by hand then no, it wouldn't be so productive. However, streamlining an existing distro to target only the hardware on the board would definitely be worth looking into. I've seen videos of embedded hardware systems using Linux that can boot in under 10 seconds. Taken to extremes, you can even get 1 second boot times. Take a look at this:

Jimmer

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:15 pm

OMG that's some jazz noodling going on in the background!

zag

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:21 pm

Yeh shame really thats REALLY slow!
Unofficial Raspberry Pi Forums - www.raspberrypiforums.com

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:45 pm

To get some ideas of how fast it COULD boot, find some boot times for the Roku2 - this is a BRCM2835 running Linux, so almost exactly the same as a Raspi.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jamesh

Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:46 pm

I should add that the default Debian build of the kernel is not optimised in any way for the Raspi - it's a standard Broadcom build for dev systems, and all sorts of prototypes.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “General discussion”