grahamed

Search

Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:04 pm

I have a problem with my keyboard - either missing or repeating keypresses. I have seen this on the forum somewhere so I try to search for "keyboard problem" but "keyboard" & "problem" are "too common" (how unexpected) so ignored. So how the heck do I find posts? Am I missing something? Who specified this bizarre behaviour? Whilst "keyboard" and "problem" might be too common to be of use individually "keyboard problem" is fairly specific and should be useable. Google ignores words like "and" "or" "the" etc. it does not ignore "keyboard" or "problem" in fact it tells me that there about 456,000,000 posts; I assume these are not all on this forum.

Anyone know why my Maplin wireless keyboard N69JX works OK one minute then goes mad? please do not suggest PSU. My PSU is OK.

flyinghappy

Re: Search

Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:32 pm

I had the same problem, I had a powered USB hub with the keyboard and a 500GB HDD (has it's own PSU) and a wireless mouse. If I put the wireless mouse directly into the PI and have the keyboard and HDD on the hub, all is well, if I leave the mouse in the hub, I get that exact issue. So in other words it is a power issue...
Pi with ArchLinux running a minidlna/samba home server

scep

Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:06 am

It's a forum "feature".

The current workaround is to search via google using the 'site:' keyword eg

https://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8& ... errypi.org

Also, searching for, say, "repeating keypresses" finds stuff like this: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... es#p186287 [and a few posts down someone talks about a Maplin wireless kb]

grahamed

Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:38 am

Hi

Thank you for your kind replies.

I have to confess I have used Google to find what I wanted. I find it somewhat paradoxical that Google provides a better function, incidental to indexing the entire web, than the site specific function manages.

As to it being due to a power problem - I am using a "good" PSU which does not droop significantly (less than 100mV for upto 5A and has a good transient response (no brown-outs detected). I am feeding the supply into the RPi bi-passing the input polyfuse and the USB polyfuses have been replaced by wire links. There is no other external load on the USB system.

Testing the keyboard using nano - I have also noticed that the keyboard behaves much better when nano is opened in a terminal window than when opened from the CLI. This is not what I would expect.

grahamed

Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi

I have just noticed a previous post about the short-comings of search - also titled "search". I apologise then for the duplicate post. Of course I could excuse myself in that I could not search for "search" but that would not be true. It seems that "search" appears only 3290 times and so is much less common than "problem". No surprise there then.

Return to “General discussion”