BeJay

My third Piece of Pi - China

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi Guys,

I'd like to say I've very impressed with my 2 pi's I've purchased over the time these have become
available. One is in my wife's car for navit navigation and ODB diagnostics:

The other is in a cloud replicator in a storm case:

So it went without saying that the next project would be powered by a pi. I received my new revision pi from element14 in super fast time like usual, but on boot up it would lock up. Thinking that it was my SD card, I tried a couple of different ones, but after about 2 minutes it would fail to just the PWR light and nothing else. A close examination of the board found that 3 pins where not even soldered, but only holding on with a bit of force from the rest of their mates doing the hard work. A quick shot with the rework gun and some extra flux seated them happily home:

Now it runs perfectly, but it does make me wonder when it now proudly states that it's:

Please tell me this is a one off on a DOA. I love what the pi is, and don't want to see it end up as a typical made in china item that can't be used for more than 2 days without failure?!

Cheers

Bj

AC2HE

Re: My third Piece of Pi - China

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:23 pm

No B.J. not the only one,more have followed.

Have posted on mine just yesterday same situation.
Even know the problem is in the area of IC3,and is temperature sensitive. Will pull out my best lighted magnifier & try to see the pins better. However even if I could see a troubled pin,don't believe any of my
soldering equipment dare be used on it.
Don't have any surface mount tools,I date back to the days of tubes & discrete components. .

Later, Andy (AC2HE)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:31 pm

Sorry , you have both had problems. Unfortunately, testing is never perfect, so some will escape from the factory with faults. I would suggest if you are unable to fix the fault (and you really don't need to risk fixing it if you don't want to). RMA the device to the supplier. They're more than happy to replace then.

Current manufacturing levels are about 4k a day I think (I could be wrong) - so even at 0.5% faulty, that still quite a few, so we do expect posts here outlining problems. However, please bear in mind any faulty ones are still a very low percentage.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jamesh

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:32 pm

Oh, forgot to say to the OP - nice projects! What are you looking for in the ODBC project?
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Burngate

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:33 pm

I must say I'm impressed by the professional appearance of what you've done

One question: which pins? I can't see anything that looks like reworking!
Pity you didn't take a before as well as after!

BeJay

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:08 am

Yes I took a before photo, though I should have done it through the mag+light as it's horribly out of focus. I just wanted to get on with it and see if it was just a simple fix ;) I did add a tiny amount of solder paste and flux for the reflow, but after cleanup you can't really see unless you see it in real life.

The pins that were not originally stuck (had solder on top of the pin but not on the sides) marked in red:

It's passed the 24hr burn in test, so I'd say it's ok ;)

Cheers for the comments

Bj

BeJay

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:54 am

As for my other projects, I meant type OBD not ODB but it's too late now ;) I put a raspberry pi in the RAV4, so it got the hostname "ravberrypi" for a start, but I used OBDGPSLogger initially to gather engine performance on our road trip holiday a couple of months ago, and GPS data. I'm now working on my own spin using gambas3 due to my python limitations.... I'll post up my projects in the "projects" section when I get a chance.

@ Andy, if you are tube/transistor and discrete like I was once, then splattering solder paste over things and heating them with the equivalent of a hot air gun shouldn't worry you - that's what PCB solder masks are for :)

syndicate

Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:24 pm

If any of you have questions about OBD diagnostics and development on it let me know. I work for OBDsol which builds all kinds of tools for diagnostics for cars. I'm actually currently designing a development kit that is almost finished. The development kit is made of 3 modules in a PDIP like pacakage that includes OBD drivers, switching power regulator, and a breakout of the STN1170-44 PIN. I want to include some sort of access to the RPI header to enable developers to be able to access the RPI via the SPI, I2C or UART. Here is a quick test setup I did a few days ago.

Oh and if any of you want to opt in for any of these modules. Let me know and I'll see if I can build you one in house before it hits the shelves.
board (2).jpg
board (2).jpg (51.16 KiB) Viewed 3586 times

billybangleballs

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:40 pm

BeJay wrote:Now it runs perfectly, but it does make me wonder when it now proudly states that it's:
I just received my second pi. (Which is running fine btw ;).) After seeing the made in China, I checked mine, only to find it was made in Wales.
uk.PNG
Welsh
uk.PNG (40.99 KiB) Viewed 3390 times
Mine came from Farnell's but I know RS have them made too.
Out of interest, does anyone know how many places are manufacturing Raspberry Pi boards?

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:57 pm

Two factories in China (not allowed to divulge names for competition reasons, but be assured they're not the mega-factory Foxconn-type outfits), and one in Wales (Sony).
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:42 pm

BTW any idea why the hell the chineese factories are shipping boards with "made in UK" printed on them and then convered up with a made in china sticker rather than just printing made in china on the boards?

pluggy

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:44 pm

plugwash wrote:BTW any idea why the hell the chineese factories are shipping boards with "made in UK" printed on them and then convered up with a made in china sticker rather than just printing made in china on the boards?
I just read it as they are all intended to be made in the UK. The UK factory walkaround starts with the circuit boards already made. I'd wager that the circuit boards themselves are made in China and south Wales (or where-ever) "make" the Pi by putting it together. It rather suggests there is only one place is making the Pi circuit boards.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

BeJay

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:01 pm

@ syndicate, well done on the OBD project, I'm just using an ELM327

malakai

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:08 pm

syndicate wrote:If any of you have questions about OBD diagnostics and development on it let me know. I work for OBDsol which builds all kinds of tools for diagnostics for cars. I'm actually currently designing a development kit that is almost finished. The development kit is made of 3 modules in a PDIP like pacakage that includes OBD drivers, switching power regulator, and a breakout of the STN1170-44 PIN. I want to include some sort of access to the RPI header to enable developers to be able to access the RPI via the SPI, I2C or UART. Here is a quick test setup I did a few days ago.

Oh and if any of you want to opt in for any of these modules. Let me know and I'll see if I can build you one in house before it hits the shelves.
board (2).jpg
I know more mechanics than I have friends weird how that goes but I would love to tool this around and show them. Everything from large name dealerships and mechanic shops to a 15 car sales lot to home mechanics. I have been wanting to play with OBD for the wow factor alone let alone the actual usefulness of such a device.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

jamesh

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:56 pm

Just out of interest, I have a OBD based on an ELM device - the software I have is from Gendam, which I have to run under wine on a linux laptop. Does anyone know of equivalent software running on Linux? It doesn't look that difficult to write TBH, but I just don't have time. Really just need to recover diagnostic codes, rather than on the go information although that is fun!

syndicate

Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:18 am

If you wanna play around with OBD, you should check out the development board for the STN1170 chip. Would be interesting seeing some development combining this with the RPI. I'm trying to give some out for free PM so me with email and I'll see about it. Here is what the development board looks like. Right now I'm finalizing the datasheet and some app notes. Oh and the 6 pin male header to the top left is what can interface to a bluetooth module or RPI. And also has its own FTDI USB to serial interface too.

dARoB

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi BeJay,

Unfortunately, I can't contact yoo through PN, so I'll try it this way.

Your project regarding OBD and car analysis with RPi is exactly what I'm planning on doing for the last few months now. The only thing is, i cannot find enough information on the software compatible with RPi and ODB (or actually a CAN bus connection from any participant) and this is the first topic which gives me hope and i hope you can provide more information on that.
I am also very interested in your dc/dc converter for the in car usage. I'm not sure if it is enough to use a dc/dc converter which you can buy at rs-components (output 5.1V and 4A max) or if i have to go with another solution keeping in mind the cranking of the car and maybe some other effects i cannot think of right now.
Hope you might help with a "how to".

Thanks!

BR
RoB

dARoB

Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi!

Any news on this one?

Thanks!

Kind regards,
RoB