RDPUser

Why PIN headers instead of female PIN headers?

Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:06 pm

Raspberry-PI is intented as a robust and stable product, including for children to learn programing.
I wonder why PIN-Headers are used instead of female PIN Headers. I mean something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10pcs-D ... 13575.html
I mean these cannot bend, accidentialy shortcut or something like that. So it would be much more stable and safe. And I think RPI Foundation has good reason to chose male PIN headers. So I'm just curious why they chose the male headers.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Why PIN headers instead of female PIN headers?

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:16 pm

Have you ever tried to bend a pinheader, they are pretty sturdy, made out of phosphor bronze, and that stuff is HARD!!
Unlike the fragile contacts in female headers, which can loose springiness, and can fail. if you put to much sideway force on the strip, you can easily break them off the board, (due to lever action) although a dual row is better in that respect than the single rows an Arduino uses.

however, for better or for worse, the choice for pins instead of headers has been made many years ago, and its unreasonable to believe you can suddenly turn around and start using female header, and become incompatible with previous PI's and HAT boards, and anything else you can plug in. that is just silly.

IMHO pin headers are also simply a better choice, for many reasons.

as for the risk of shorting them, that isn't removed when you use female headers, they can still be shorted, especially if you put the PI on a conductive surface. Simply don't drop any metal objects on the RPI (or any complex electrons device, with or without headers) and you will be safe.

But this has all been discussed many times before, and the chance the RPF will change from pinheaders to Arduino style female headers is zero, they are not stupid.

RDPUser

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:50 pm

Have you ever tried to ben a pinheader, they are pretty sturdy!
No, was just afraid of it, because some cables are hard to put on or remove and sometimes need quite a bit force.
Unlike the fragile contacts in female headers, which can loose springiness, and can fail.
Good point!
and its unreasonable to believe you can suddenly turn around and start using female header, and become incompatible with previous PI's and HAT boards, and anything else you can plug in. that is just silly.
Sorry I never intented to ask to change it, I was just curious.
as for the risk of shorting them, that isn't removed when you use female headers, they can still be shorted, especially if you put the PI on a conductive surface.
True and probably these are more common than accidentially shorting them from the top
and the chance the RPF will change from pinheaders to Arduino style female headers is zero, they are not stupid.
As I said, I was just curious. For changing anything, it's too late, because of campatiblity loss. For me the RPi is a very well thought of product. So many details have been considered and so I was curious about the GPI headers.

rpdom

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:56 pm

Of course, if you buy a Zero or Zero W, you can fit your own header of choice.

Imperf3kt

Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:57 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:16 pm
Have you ever tried to ben a pinheader, they are pretty sturdy!
I have never tried to bend them, but unfortunately there have been many occasions where bend they have.
I also personally think the risk of accidentally dropping the device on the floor and stepping on it with bare feet, isn't a 0% possibility. Can you imagine the damage that would do to your foot with forty new holes?
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

PeterO

Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:10 pm

I have several Arduino shields that seem to get their pins bent by just putting them down on the bench. The Pi way is much better, Hats are much more robust!

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

hippy

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:31 pm

RDPUser wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:06 pm
I wonder why PIN-Headers are used instead of female PIN Headers.
There was a rather long debate about which it should be even before the first Pi was released. Both have their merits, their advantages and disadvantages. The main advantages of male header pins is they are cheaper, and can be used with IDE-style ribbon cables. One disadvantage noted at the time was that it isn't so easy to connect single flying leads to them.

Given that dupont jumper wires with female connectors on the ends are a lot more readily available and cheaper than they were seven years or more ago, when the issue was being debated, I would say that going with male pins has been the correct decision to have made.

hippy

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:44 pm

RDPUser wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:50 pm
Unlike the fragile contacts in female headers, which can loose springiness, and can fail.
Good point!
In any paired male-female connector system there will be one side more fragile that the other, so one can't really escape using a fragile connector.

I'm not sure what the relative arguments are for 'it's better to have a HAT connector fail than have the Pi connector fail', or vice-versa. I imagine it depends on which is most expensive to replace or repair when something does fail.

mattmiller

Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:43 am

Of course, if you buy a Zero or Zero W, you can fit your own header of choice.
I fit mine with an extended header (female->male) so I can just plug in IR decoders (and also be naughty and plug in IR LEDS!) directly into PiZero

The male pins aren't as good as standard pins (thin and not as sturdy) but seem to work OK with any HATs I've tried

mkirk

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:15 pm

Does anyone know what plating is used on the 40 pin header?
Phosphor-bronze (copper-tin), tin, gold, nickel or other?

Regards, Mike

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:21 pm

Pin headers, like those used on the RPI, are normally gold plated phosphor-bronze, there are many pictures of RPI online where you can see they are gold plated, and any normal pinheader is always made from phosphor-bronze.

A better, more informative question would be the thickness of the gold plating, but I have never seen any bronze appear underneath the plating due to wear, so it must be reasonable thick. On Chinese pin headers you sometimes see that the gold plating is extremely thin, but not on any RPI I have seen.

Return to “General discussion”