d10sfan

Better SD Card Slot

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:33 am

Would be nice to have a better sd card slot. Five minutes into trying to use my device, just simply putting the sd card in, and the left side of the plastic broke off. Now the pi won't boot and the led stays red.

techpaul

Re: Better SD Card Slot

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:51 pm

Search for SD card repair on this forum and look at Toby electronics to get a replacement that seems slightly stronger
Just another techie on the net - For GPIO boards see http:///www.facebook.com/pcservicesreading
or http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/pi/

Joe Pereira

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:55 pm

I wish the raspberrypi technicians and scientist would update or design the supermini raspberrypi computer so that it will function using my HP Probook laptop monitor. If and when they decide, please notify me.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Joe Pereira(age 77)

P.S. I have been into electronic since I was 16, and I have taught assembly-langage programming for various microprocessor, including the intel and motorola processors. I also taught electronics techonology, basic programming, c-language programming, computer maintenance and repair etc,

martivo

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:08 am

I would really like to see a microSD card slot. Almost all SD cards sold are microSD with an adapter anyways.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:53 pm

martivo wrote:I would really like to see a microSD card slot. Almost all SD cards sold are microSD with an adapter anyways.
Actually, that's not strictly true. There are still a HUGE number of SD cards sold. I indeed prefer them, the uSD's are so easy to lose. And you yourself say the uSD cards usually comes with adapters so they can be used in the Raspi - but you try doing that the other way round....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

martivo

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:04 pm

jamesh wrote:
martivo wrote:I would really like to see a microSD card slot. Almost all SD cards sold are microSD with an adapter anyways.
Actually, that's not strictly true. There are still a HUGE number of SD cards sold. I indeed prefer them, the uSD's are so easy to lose. And you yourself say the uSD cards usually comes with adapters so they can be used in the Raspi - but you try doing that the other way round....
I agree, but now the SD card sticks out, i could fit it into a box 1.5cm smaller if it used micro sd or the SD card would completely be under the motherboard and not stick out, then it would be nice...or does anyone know of adapters half the size of a regular SD?
Also users have broken off the entire SD slot and a repari kit is even sold.

meltwater

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:40 pm

There are a few places which offer half side adaptors, ada-fruit being one.
Hopefully we will see metal sd card slots soon, at the very least.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

RaTTuS

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:43 pm

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

W. H. Heydt

Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:08 pm

meltwater wrote: Hopefully we will see metal sd card slots soon, at the very least.
Much as I think that would be an excellent upgrade, I am dubious about how "soon" it will happen. But, then...I've been surprised before by the Foundation making an anticipated change sooner than expected.

In the mean time, it might be nice if those with the necessary links to hand could post sources for what is called for in the thread title...*Better* SD Card Slot. If those were available, perhaps the more adventurous could start replacing the open plastic holders with enclosed metal ones (such as the ones used on the prototype Pi boards). Perhaps replacing SD holders could become a significant activity at Jams...

techpaul

Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:00 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
meltwater wrote: Hopefully we will see metal sd card slots soon, at the very least.
Much as I think that would be an excellent upgrade, I am dubious about how "soon" it will happen. But, then...I've been surprised before by the Foundation making an anticipated change sooner than expected.

In the mean time, it might be nice if those with the necessary links to hand could post sources for what is called for in the thread title...*Better* SD Card Slot. If those were available, perhaps the more adventurous could start replacing the open plastic holders with enclosed metal ones (such as the ones used on the prototype Pi boards). Perhaps replacing SD holders could become a significant activity at Jams...
Big problem is the one used is 13 pin and most are 11 pin or 9pin.
most 11 pin can offer same functionality but dont have the same pinout or spacing of pins especially for the switches that are Card Detect and Write Protect detect.

Considering system always needs to write to SD card maybe haviing only Card Detect would be more useful.
Just another techie on the net - For GPIO boards see http:///www.facebook.com/pcservicesreading
or http://www.pcserviceselectronics.co.uk/pi/

W. H. Heydt

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:59 pm

On the other hand....with an anticipated production volume between 1 and 2 million units per year...perhaps some enterprising manufacturer will see an improved SD holder for the Pi as a "business opportunity".

davedude0

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:06 pm

d10sfan wrote:Would be nice to have a better sd card slot. Five minutes into trying to use my device, just simply putting the sd card in, and the left side of the plastic broke off. Now the pi won't boot and the led stays red.
How did you break it so quickly? :?:

tedhale

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:27 pm

Joe Pereira wrote:I wish the raspberrypi technicians and scientist would update or design the supermini raspberrypi computer so that it will function using my HP Probook laptop monitor. If and when they decide, please notify me.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Joe Pereira(age 77)

P.S. I have been into electronic since I was 16, and I have taught assembly-langage programming for various microprocessor, including the intel and motorola processors. I also taught electronics techonology, basic programming, c-language programming, computer maintenance and repair etc,
And I wish I had a purple unicorn. :lol:

Seriously. The foundation had to make some difficult choices in order to produce the RasPi at this low a cost.
No, it does not support VGA. Get over it or around it or use another board.
Griping here will do you no good at all. (though I doubt you will back to follow this thread)

</rant>

The uSD vs SD card debate may come down to the same issue.
What is the cost of the two different card slots and the affects on manufacturing?
and
What is the difference in cost for an SD card vs a uSD card? (not much I think)
- Ted B. Hale
http://raspberrypihobbyist.blogspot.com

meltwater

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:57 pm

My card slot has also broken, a side-effect of doing the MagPi is I try to keep it with me, so it gets moved around a lot.
I shall have to get one of the half-size mircosd adaptors.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

tedhale

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:07 pm

As I noted in another thread, the half size uSD adapter (like the one sold by Adafruit) is too thick to fit through the slot of any case that I have seen.
Removing the SD card when transporting the Pi would seem like a good way to reduce the odds of breaking the SD card slot, but you probably already figured that out.

I'm glad to have gotten a warning about this. I will be more careful with that part.
- Ted B. Hale
http://raspberrypihobbyist.blogspot.com

UglyMike

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:13 pm

After many months of waiting, I finally got the Raspberry Pi delivered to the door today! :D
This evening I put Raspbian on an SD Card and booted it. Great! :lol:
I took it downstairs and booted it. Great! :lol:
While I was trying to disconnect the cables, the Raspi was dragged from the table and fell from a height of about 30 cm. :o
Three small black pieces flew of the SD card adapter and I now have a dead Raspi. Bummer. (to put it nicely....) :twisted:
So yes, be VERY carefull with the adapter. It is VERY flimsy!! I a new revision would come I would hope it comes with a better adapter (metal or plastic 'sleeve')
I'll try to glue a piece of plastic on tomorrow, but I do feel very much let down by this experience. It is clear from the internetnet that this is a very common occurance too. :cry:

krisco43

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:11 am

Hello All,
I had the Raspi arrive last week with a broken card slot. Straight out of the box, and I cannot use it unless I use a clothespeg to hold the SD card in place, as the right side retaining lip has been broken off. I know there were cost considerations which probably only allowed the use of inexpensive parts, but the mechanical strength of the SD Card receptacle on the Pi is quite inadequate, even when handled with extreme care. I would flag the fragility of the SD card holder as a design flaw, why not pay a few more pence for a receptacle with a metal casing?
It is not that easy to get a replacement from Toby etc, as the costs to ship 2 of these receptacles to Norway is £49.99, with the only available shipping option in online ordering given as Express Air Mail. So it is a bit of a nightmare trying to replace the SD card receptacle, I am now sifting through datasheets from Wurth, Molex etc, to find one with a similar pitch (center to center distance of the pins) and pin assignment. Would somebody know which SD Card receptacle would be a suitable alternative to the VALCON SD (Secure Digital) Card Receptacle 412D02F-09PC003-SV Series sold by Toby?
Some of the Wurth and Molex receptacles look quite close in pitch and dimensions, but I am not so sure about the pin asignments.
The other option is of course to glue a Micro SD card holder onto the broken SD card receptacle and use a Micro SD card to boot. Obviously there are cost factors involved in going this route.
It will not be easy to use the same case if the Micro SD card holder is used, as the Pi must be taken out of the casing for each card change.
So if I were to review the Pi, I would say that the Sd Card receptacle is crying out for change!

mazzse

Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:22 am

Just do it the way I did it, Superglue it!
Works fine.
Toughtfull: The small gold-plates witch make the contact with the card, unfortinally press downward to mutch, you have to carfeullt, bend them or drag the carfullt up.

Or do it the other way, buy a couple new pi´s, I did it to... :P

krisco43

Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:40 am

Hi All,

I am happy to share this update, a really nice gentleman at Toby's agreed to post the SD Card Receptacles to me, so hopefully they will be with me in a few days time, and I will be able to swap the damaged SD Card Receptacle out with the new one. Yayyy!! Go Toby's :-)

Roatandave

Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:12 pm

I was reading here and found this temporary fix. Now can use your R-PI until your can fix it right.

http://raspi.tv/2012/how-to-fix-a-broke ... spberry-pi

Hello from South Texas, down on the Gulf of Mexico.

rosslewis

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi All
Unfortunately, I also received my Pi today from RS Components having ordered it over the Christmas break and it had no retaining flange on the right hand side of the SD Card slot so has never even booted once. The card cannot make contact with the pins and sits at an angle.
I am currently awaiting a response from RS Components.
My neighbour has a Pi and he has had no issue as yet after running it for two or three weeks.
I had no idea that there was such an issue with the SD Card slot until my experience today and consequent Google search on the subject.
Let's hope that Raspberry can sort this out quickly.

Return to “General discussion”