klintkrossa
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:06 pm

Are app raspberry pi PoE safe?

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:12 pm

I have a pi supply pipoe. I have a inline PoE extractor.
I was wondering if all raspberry pi's are PoE safe?
Thanks
This is not like any other bulletin boards that I have been on. Been flamed on other BB's so bad I was afraid to ask.

All my Raspberry Pi's are like the Hessian artilleryman of Sleepy Hollow.

PhatFil
Posts: 1306
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:55 pm
Location: Oxford UK

Re: Are app raspberry pi PoE safe?

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:42 pm

check out the post in here regarding the device, I dont have one myself so i looked up this page which suggests its compaitle with the Pi-0, 3B and 3B+, https://thepihut.com/products/pipoe-swi ... spberry-pi

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35535
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Are app raspberry pi PoE safe?

Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:46 pm

Isn't it a bit pointless to use a PoE on a A+, 3A+, Z or ZW as they don't have on-board ethernet.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Ernst
Posts: 1180
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:39 am
Location: Germany

Re: Are app raspberry pi PoE safe?

Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:32 am

klintkrossa wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:12 pm
I have a pi supply pipoe. I have a inline PoE extractor.
I was wondering if all raspberry pi's are PoE safe?
Yes!, No!, it depends ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet

on what you mean with PoE, is it a standard implementation or non-standard implementation ?
Last edited by Ernst on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

User avatar
Burngate
Posts: 5930
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:34 pm
Location: Berkshire UK Tralfamadore
Contact: Website

Re: Are app raspberry pi PoE safe?

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:40 am

Right from its first incarnation the Pi has had an Ethernet connector with "magnetics" built-in - the signals are transferred via transformers, with no dc connection between cable and board.

So, provided the PoE system adheres to proper standards*, all Pis are safe.

* The dc supply must be between pairs - that is, one twisted pair carries the positive, another twisted pair carries the negative.
If a non-standard supply put both positive and negative on the same pair, the transformer would short it out, possibly destroying the Pi and/or the supply.

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 14715
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Are app raspberry pi PoE safe?

Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:33 pm

Burngate wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:40 am
Right from its first incarnation the Pi has had an Ethernet connector with "magnetics" built-in - the signals are transferred via transformers, with no dc connection between cable and board.
If I remember correctly, one test batch had the wrong connectors fitted with no magnetics. They had to have the sockets removed by hand and new ones put in. I don't think any of those went on sale, other than possibly at charity auctions.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23070
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Are app raspberry pi PoE safe?

Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:06 pm

rpdom wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:33 pm
Burngate wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:40 am
Right from its first incarnation the Pi has had an Ethernet connector with "magnetics" built-in - the signals are transferred via transformers, with no dc connection between cable and board.
If I remember correctly, one test batch had the wrong connectors fitted with no magnetics. They had to have the sockets removed by hand and new ones put in. I don't think any of those went on sale, other than possibly at charity auctions.
Indded - that was a long time ago, and I don't think any of them ever made it in to the hands opf the public.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “General discussion”