RDPUser

Request for update nullmailerpackage

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:58 pm

When installing nullmailer via sudo apt install nullmailer you geht version 1.13 which is from 2013 or even older. Current version is 2.2
Can you please update this about 6 year old package?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Request for update nullmailerpackage

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:03 pm

RDPUser wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:58 pm
When installing nullmailer via sudo apt install nullmailer you geht version 1.13 which is from 2013 or even older. Current version is 2.2
Can you please update this about 6 year old package?

It appears to be a Debian Maintained Package version 1:1.13-1.2

Debian Buster will have version 1:2.2-3

So would appear you will have to wait ?
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

DirkS

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:04 pm

Not going to happen. Debian (and also Raspbian) generally don't do version updates once a new major version (Jessie, Stretch) is released.

You'll have to wait for Raspbian Buster.
Or you can try to install the version from Raspbian Buster (see other posts on this forum on how you can do that; search the forum for 'Buster')
Or build it yourself from source.

RDPUser

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:28 pm

Not going to happen. Debian (and also Raspbian) generally don't do version updates once a new major version (Jessie, Stretch) is released.
Ok, thats an argument, but in between 2013 and now there was at least Raspbian Stretch, perhaps wheezy, so it should have been updated, shouldn't it?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:35 pm

RDPUser wrote:
Ok, thats an argument, but in between 2013 and now there was at least Raspbian Stretch, perhaps wheezy, so it should have been updated, shouldn't it?

It was not in Wheezy, whilst Jessie had 1:1.13-1+deb8u1..

..but as I stated above you need to ask the Debian Maintainer why it was not updated.
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..

RDPUser

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:39 pm

..but as I stated above you need to ask the Debian Maintainer why it was not updated.
So you mean contact directly at debian.org?
Or you can try to install the version from Raspbian Buster (see other posts on this forum on how you can do that; search the forum for 'Buster')
Can you give a link? Didn't find the searched
I've tried in raspi.list changing stretch to
but didn't work.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:45 pm

RDPUser wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:39 pm
So you mean contact directly at debian.org?
Can you give a link? Didn't find the searched
I've tried in raspi.list changing stretch to
but didn't work.

Create a Backup.

Change your " /etc/apt/sources.list " from Stretch to Buster run:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt install nullmailer

Then change you sources back to Stretch and hope and pray it works...
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..

mfa298

Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:52 pm

RDPUser wrote:
Debian have various rules about when things get updated, and sometimes (I suspect) it can just be down to when someone has time and sees theres been a major update.

The testing branch (which is currently for the buster release) has been in development for around 18 months and is due for release later this year. Stretch would have been in development for a similar amount of time before that (so quite probably back to 2014/2015). Debian tend to favour stability over bleeding edge so it's quite understandable that stretch is using an older version of most packages.

The question to ask is do you actually need the newer version - are there features in it that you need? If so then look at one of the methods you can try to get the newer version. If you just want the latest version to have the latest version (living on the bleeding edge) then maybe you should try a different distribution (arch, fedora, gentoo).

In Debian the packages will be updated for bug / security fixes. They just wont get feature updates (i.e. dont break things within a release). So the 1.13 version you get from debian will potentially be more up to date than the 1.13 source code from the upstream project.

rpdom

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:12 pm

Debian presumably had a reason for retaining the older version (perhaps some licensing issues), which, I guess, is why they put the 1: on the beginning of the version number to override the normal versioning (1:1.13 is considered newer than [0:]2.2).

RDPUser

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:34 pm

The question to ask is do you actually need the newer version - are there features in it that you need? If so then look at one of the methods you can try to get the newer version. If you just want the latest version to have the latest version (living on the bleeding edge) then maybe you should try a different distribution (arch, fedora, gentoo).
I know what you want to say. There are a lot of people who want the newest just to have the newest. I need newer version because of "allmailfrom" feature so that the sender adress can be rewritten.

Thanks a lot, new version is installed. However the feature it should support seems not to work :)

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:53 am

RDPUser wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:34 pm
I know what you want to say. There are a lot of people who want the newest just to have the newest. I need newer version because of "allmailfrom" feature so that the sender adress can be rewritten.

Thanks a lot, new version is installed. However the feature it should support seems not to work :)

Arch Linux Arm is a rolling release and has newer packages !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot)..

Return to “General discussion”