steffo

Boot from HDD and boot wait times

Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:01 pm

Dear all,
I have a Rpi of latest version that supports booting directly from USB HDD.
My problem is that when I reboot and the disk is not spun up it fails.
I need to manually power the hdd to make sure it´s spinning and then boot the Rpi.
If Rpi could wait a few more seconds I am sure it would work.
Can I set the Bios to wait 15-20 sec for the HDD to make the system more reliable?
Best regards
Steffo

wh7qq

Re: Boot from HDD and boot wait times

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:05 pm

There is no bios on the RPi. Everything is on the uSD or the bootable USB drive. If you are using a spinning disk, it should be powered from a separate, self powered USB hub.

This is an old problem: see https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=41911 or do your own search online for more recent posts. I searched on "delay boot for hard drive spin-up RPi" and the above post was one of the first listed. Better yet, modernize and get a solid state drive...much faster with lower power usage and no spin-up delays.

LTolledo

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:11 pm

Also depends on the HDD and the interface unit.

I've had successes on booting a 2TB Seagate Barracuda (others were 1TB Marshall, 1TB Western Digital) using an Eluteng SATA to USB3.0 cable.
RPi3B (bit set) and RPi3B+ booted without any configuration file editing...

However on older 3.5" Hitachi DeskStar HDD in Self Powered HDD case, I had tho power the HDD case first before booting the RPi.
Editing the boot wait times did not help as the RPI cannot boot from the HDD to "read" any configuration files (for the wait times).
Have not tried the bootcode.bin method on this...

Using an SSD to boot an RPi is much better (I've done it with a 240GB Sandisk SSD). Much faster, no wait time, lighter, not much heat generation. As SSD prices are going down its becoming more feasible to use as boot drive for RPi. The interface cable I've used is the same Eluteng cable.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

steffo

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:33 am

Thanks all for the input.
Not being able to read wait times from the HDD as it has not spun up seems to be a issue hard to get around (as was said no bios on the board..).

If I go on the SSD road, does this SSD also need to be powered externally?

fruitoftheloom

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:44 am

steffo wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:33 am
Thanks all for the input.
Not being able to read wait times from the HDD as it has not spun up seems to be a issue hard to get around (as was said no bios on the board..).

If I go on the SSD road, does this SSD also need to be powered externally?

In config.txt there is a boot wait setting:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... hp?t=42227

Regards SSD generally any 2.5" Drive should not be an issue.

The bigger issue is the "USB to SATA" adaptor, the quality can vary, there have been several posts over the years......
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

steffo

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:33 am

Thanks,

Will the Pi be able to boot with this delay settings?
I mean the Pi boots from the HDD and it will (as posted above ) not be able to read the config.txt hence it will time out if I get it correct.

Either I use a SSD or boot from a SD-card and have the file system mounted.
I am not after the space but I am worrie about the SD-card failure since my home automation is on the Pi.

I have a spare SSD disk I can use and found a cheap chassie to USB but it is USB2.0 only, would that be suficient you think?

I hope I can get a suggestion and I have been googeling without results understandeble for me..

Regards!

steffo

Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:00 am

Hello,
I installed Raspian light on a SSD disk now and it works great - but I need to power off the Rpi after reboot.
That is - if I reboot from command line it will not get back on line, I will need to power on/off.
What could be the reason for this?
The SSD does not have spin-up times so I am confused..
please advice

LTolledo

Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:20 am

That's odd...

can you tell us what HDD to SATA adapter cable you are using?
and as mentioned by HawaianPi in some of his post on the matter, its a combination of the HDD/SSD, adaptor chipset and firmware.

The last time I did an SSD boot of RPi (well.. it was half a year ago) I did not encounter the same problem you are facing now...

There was a bug though causing the Raspbian Stretch to hang during reboot, but that was fixed during succeeding updates and upgrades thereafter.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

itsmedoofer

Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:33 am

Hi,

As LTolledo says above,several of us have found that reboot success is dependent on the type of SATA -> USB chipset used in your adapter,

there were discussions here https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1405530 and here https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 9#p1417979

I have a couple of enclosures that work and a couple that dont, I could make a suggestion however as HawaiianPi has documented the specs of these devices seem to be fluid, so it would be at your risk...

Return to “General discussion”