tdubz
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:27 pm

64-bit OS for RPi 3B+ [solved]

Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:50 pm

I want to run some software that requires a 64-bit OS and a 64-bit CPU (I want to install Pocketmine - a Minecraft Pocket Edition Server Software https://www.pocketmine.net/). I have recently upgraded to a RPi 3B+ from my old RPi 2B+ because I have found out that the RPi 3B+ has a 64-bit CPU and saw there was also a 64-bit OS available enabling me to run the programme (So I thought). I downloaded Barani's pi64 https://github.com/bamarni/pi64/ however when I put the SD card in, the Pi froze on the opening screen.

Your help would be much appreciated.
Last edited by tdubz on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wh7qq
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:50 am

Re: 64-bit OS for RPi 3B+

Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:21 pm

I have heard that there is a 64 bit Ubuntu Mate available,

Heater
Posts: 12646
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: 64-bit OS for RPi 3B+

Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:21 pm

I have bamarni/pi64/ running on Pi 3Bs.

bamarni/pi64/ has not been updated to work on the Pi 3B+. Although I believe somebody has forked it and modified it to do so.

You may have more luck trying other 64 bit OS for the Pi. For example Gentoo. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 4&t=188448

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10309
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: 64-bit OS for RPi 3B+

Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:53 pm

Actually...there are several models of Pi that have ARMv8A (aka 64-bit capable) CPUs. They are: Pi3B, Pi3B+, Pi3A+, CM3, CM3L, and Pi2Bv1.2.

Heater
Posts: 12646
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: 64-bit OS for RPi 3B+

Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:34 pm

Edit: This is a response to fruitoftheloom's post but he has deleted that in the time it took me to write it:

Yes but that link does not mention they are using Pi 3B and that pi64 does not work on the Pi 3B+ that our OP uses.

No wonder the internet confuses everyone with incorrect information copied and pasted everywhere !

But see here for a Pi64 fork that "may" work. I have not tried it : https://github.com/bamarni/pi64/issues/75

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19781
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: 64-bit OS for RPi 3B+

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:39 pm

Heater wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:34 pm
Edit: This is a response to fruitoftheloom's post but he has deleted that in the time it took me to write it:

Yes but that link does not mention they are using Pi 3B and that pi64 does not work on the Pi 3B+ that our OP uses.

No wonder the internet confuses everyone with incorrect information copied and pasted everywhere !

But see here for a Pi64 fork that "may" work. I have not tried it : https://github.com/bamarni/pi64/issues/75

I deleted my post because the information on further googling was incorrect, so as one has surmised a 3B+ compatible 64 bit OS is required.

Fedora 29 ??

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architec ... spberry_Pi
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

jdonald
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Re: 64-bit OS for RPi 3B+

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:58 am

You can follow the links in issue #75 to Crazyhead's bamarni fork here: https://github.com/Crazyhead90/pi64/releases and I can confirm that it works on a Pi 3B+. For some context see Crazyhead's thread.

For Minecraft enthusiasts I also recommend the Raspbian+64-bit kernel image, although being a 32-bit userland you would have to build and run Pocketmine inside a 64-bit chroot. See instructions here plus mention of numerous other 64-bit distros in that thread.

tdubz
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: 64-bit OS for RPi 3B+

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:45 pm

Is openSUSE Tumbleweed 64-bit? Just wondering

User avatar
sakaki
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:11 pm

Re: 64-bit OS for RPi 3B+

Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:57 pm

tdubz wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:50 pm
I want to run some software that requires a 64-bit OS and a 64-bit CPU (I want to install Pocketmine - a Minecraft Pocket Edition Server Software https://www.pocketmine.net/). I have recently upgraded to a RPi 3B+ from my old RPi 2B+ because I have found out that the RPi 3B+ has a 64-bit CPU and saw there was also a 64-bit OS available enabling me to run the programme (So I thought). I downloaded Barani's pi64 https://github.com/bamarni/pi64/ however when I put the SD card in, the Pi froze on the opening screen.

Your help would be much appreciated.

I've just got the PocketMine-MP server (3.5.5) running on gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit, in case that is of interest. For instructions, please see this post. Screenshot (on an RPi3B+):

Image

hth, sakaki

tdubz
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: 64-bit OS for RPi 3B+

Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:13 pm

sakaki wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:57 pm
tdubz wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:50 pm
I want to run some software that requires a 64-bit OS and a 64-bit CPU (I want to install Pocketmine - a Minecraft Pocket Edition Server Software https://www.pocketmine.net/). I have recently upgraded to a RPi 3B+ from my old RPi 2B+ because I have found out that the RPi 3B+ has a 64-bit CPU and saw there was also a 64-bit OS available enabling me to run the programme (So I thought). I downloaded Barani's pi64 https://github.com/bamarni/pi64/ however when I put the SD card in, the Pi froze on the opening screen.

Your help would be much appreciated.

I've just got the PocketMine-MP server (3.5.5) running on gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit, in case that is of interest. For instructions, please see this post. Screenshot (on an RPi3B+):

Image

hth, sakaki
Thank you very much, I will try it now!

tdubz
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:27 pm

Re: 64-bit OS for RPi 3B+ [solved]

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Thank you. I have now marked this topic as solved.

Return to “General discussion”