johnbeetem

Re: FPGA Stuff ?

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:24 pm

icyberns wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:51 am
Hey so I am still wet behind my ears on the subject of Linux... Verilog.. FPGAs and programming in general.
My goal is to utilize the Quartus II Prime Lite free download software in order to program my Altera FPGA device on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+
It does not work I believe due to the OS Rasberian not being able to compile the .exe and setup file and I think that was mentioned in the chat.

What can I do to make it work or do I have to switch OS? Maybe Ubunto?

I am very interested in VDHL and the other things that you were talking about btw it is very interesting!
Any resources that you could give on the subject I would appreciate, or how to get started.
Right now I have all the gear of a professional soldier but have never seen battle!!
It's been many years since I posted anything about FPGAs here, and I don't use Altera FPGAs myself so I don't know what Quartus II is capable of these days. With that disclaimer, I really doubt Quartus II software runs on a Raspberry Pi. Usually vendor software only runs on Intel architecture PCs, and sometimes only under Windows. GNU/Linux versions are often available, but only for Intel architecture PCs. The only FPGA software I know of that runs on Raspberry Pi is the open-source IceStorm tools (which support Lattice iCE40 FPGAs and perhaps some others now) and my own Flavia software which is at this time is only suitable for education.

One of the best resources I know of for learning about FPGAs is element14's FPGA group: https://www.element14.com/community/groups/fpga-group. There are a number of very helpful people who participate there, including some who know Altera.

drgeoff

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:48 pm

icyberns wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:51 am
Hey so I am still wet behind my ears on the subject of Linux... Verilog.. FPGAs and programming in general.
My goal is to utilize the Quartus II Prime Lite free download software in order to program my Altera FPGA device on my Raspberry Pi 3 B+
It does not work I believe due to the OS Rasberian not being able to compile the .exe and setup file and I think that was mentioned in the chat.

What can I do to make it work or do I have to switch OS? Maybe Ubunto?

I am very interested in VDHL and the other things that you were talking about btw it is very interesting!
Any resources that you could give on the subject I would appreciate, or how to get started.
Right now I have all the gear of a professional soldier but have never seen battle!!
You have shown that you cannot accurately copy the words "Raspbian" and "Ubuntu". Attention to details such as correct spelling and correct use of symbols such as punctuation symbols is absolutely necessary when communicating via text with a computer.

Heater

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:53 pm

I have been having some fun with FPGA this last year or so. What has made it more fun is that I din't write my hardware descriptions in Verilog or VHDL but rather in Scala using the SpinalHDL library.

https://spinalhdl.github.io/SpinalDoc-RTD/

SpinalHDL is a higher level way of describing hardware, a lot less verbose than VHDL with better type checking than Verilog and enables using all the software engineering tricks you might do in a regular high level language like Python.

SpinalHDL generates Verilog and/or VHDL as output. I generate Verilog which can then be tested with the open source Verilator simulator.

One can write SpinalHDL in any editor, no more having to struggle with the huge, complex and slow FPGA vendor tools like Quartus. Development goes much faster. Think of the difference between tweaking some Python and instantly running it vs tweaking some C++ and waiting for the re-compile to finish.

At the end of the day I still need Quartus to actually program my Altera/Intel FPGA's but I'm hoping to start using Lattice devices soon and then the open source Yosys tools can be used, much smaller and quicker.

SpinalHDL and Yosys should all be usable on a Pi 3. I have yet to find the time to try this though.

Heater

Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:02 pm

drgeoff,

Wow, I though I was pedantic. That takes the cake.

Gavinmc42

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:03 am

Just this week I have been doing a crash course on what is around.
I think most of the open source tools have reached the point where we can do this on Pi's.
A search for RISC-V will find this info, but I will repeat it here.

Lattice have some small FPGAs and people have been reverse engineering the bit-stream used to program them.
A google for Icestorm will find it and low cost PCB like UPDuino.
Now there is a Visual IDE for them called Icestudio, which I have yet to get working on a Pi.

I have not figured out a way to solder the smallest 16pin parts, which are around $1.
But the 48 pin parts with 5.3K LUTs have some interesting extra stuff and apparently are big enough a RISC-V core can be put on them :D

With the Open Source guys cracking the code so to speak, there are real Lattice tools available for these small FPGAs now.

It's time for messing about with FPGA on Pi's :D
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

tlfong01

Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:50 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:03 am
It's time for messing about with FPGA on Pi's :D ...
RE: FPGA STUFF? Postby Andre_P » 2012-Jan-14 Sat 3:58 am
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=2316#p30115
What about using it to potentially teach kids about a Hardware Description language (Verilog/VHDL). It would possibly an 'A' Level (for those not from the UK this is the level of Secondary Education that occurs from 16 to 18) arena. ...
It would be a nice for an 'A' Level student to wander into a university interview and when asked what kind of hardware/embedded experience they have had they can talk about. ...

FPGA Messing and Wandering

A couple of years back I fell down a rabbit hole and wandered into the FPGA Wonderland. I messed with a peculiar creature Xlinux, ... I forgot all the details, except the selfie below, ... :mrgreen:

And this reminds me a sad story. Once upon a time a young guy, not from UK, passed the UK A Level Exam in physics with a distinction (along with two other A Level distinctions). In those days UK A Level distinction was only equal to a bare pass in Hong Kong A Level, and only HK A Level distinction students could enter the university. So the inferior guy went to the Hong Kong Technical College to do an electronics diploma, and after graduation, got a mechanics technician job to start walking a long and winding road, ...

The Happy Wanderer - The Stargazers (1954) 202,634 views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPfGL0tDP30

Update 2019jan13hkt2137

I have not touched FPGA things since 2014. I was wondering what is trendy this season. So I searched Tao and found a surprisingly large variety of boards, from CN¥60 to CN¥5,000. If I was to play again, I might start with the cheapest ¥60 Altera FPGA CycloneII EP2C5T144. :mrgreen:

ALTERA FPGA CycloneII EP2C5T144 Evaluation Board ¥60
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a2 ... t=6#detail

TaoBao FPGA Boards
https://s.taobao.com/search?spm=&_tb_to ... ce=suggest

Update 2019jan15hkt1155
to do an electronics diploma, and after graduation, got a mechanics technician job to start walking a long and winding road, ...

Looking back, after learning electronics but started a mechanics technician job was sad, because I could not apply the electronics I learnt. But I did in my free time taught and learned together more electronics (2N2222, logic gate, flip flop, NE555 etc) in a local charity hobbyist club. Perhaps it was the joy of learning together at that time that keep my electronics hobby for so long, and many years later still enjoy playing new toys like FPGA (to me it is a Lego of logic gates! :) ), though I knew that I already missed my chance of wandering into an university entrance interview, ...

Good company in a journey makes the way seem shorter - Izaak Walton

Walking among three people, I find my teacher. ― Confucius

You'll Never Walk Alone - Gerry & The Pacemakers - 22,093,117 views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV5_LQArLa0
Attachments
xc9500xl_eval_brd_2019jan1301.jpg
xc9500xl_eval_brd_2019jan1301.jpg (183.64 KiB) Viewed 328 times
I am an electronics and smart home hobbyist.

Return to “General discussion”