abli

Observation fluorescence with the Raspberry Pi camera

Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I am trying to visualize fluorescence using the Raspberry Pi camera ; but it seems like it doesn't work. I was thus wondering if the problem could come from the camera (change in colors?).

Thank you for your help!

Cheers.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Observation fluorescence with the Raspberry Pi camera

Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:56 am

I think we are going to need a bit more information. What are you trying to do, what are the expected results, what are the actual results?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

abli

Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:18 pm

Good morning,

Thank you for your answer!

I am using a Raspberry Pi camera to observe fluorescent microspheres on a slide via a microscope. But I can't see any fluorescence. I do see the microspheres but no fluorescence ; I was wondering if that was due to the Raspberry.

Thank you :D

Cheers.

Heater

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:02 pm

I presume you are illuminating them with the appropriate UV light, laser or whatever.

I have no idea about these things so just wondering as you have not given much detail of your experiment.

I guess it's possible that whatever wavelength they fluoresce at is a hole in the Pi camera's spectral response.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

abli

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:00 am

Thank you for your answer!

The microspheres fluoresce in yellow.

I have found 'the' spectra response curves for the raspberry pi camera v2 on https://khufkens.github.io/pi-camera-response-curves/, project maintained by khufkens. But why are there three curves?

Thanks for your precious help.

Heater

Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:53 am

abli,
But why are there three curves?
Digital cameras have an array of tiny light sensors that detect light at discreet points in the image. They are called pixels.

Each pixel actually has three light sensors that respond to the primary colors, red, green and blue.

Hence three graphs showing the spectral response of each color sensor.

Ideally those three spectral curves overlap nicely so that all incoming wavelengths cause the same output response. If they did not overlap the pixels would be blind to certain wavelengths.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

chwe

Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:19 am

abli wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:00 am
I have found 'the' spectra response curves for the raspberry pi camera v2 on https://khufkens.github.io/pi-camera-response-curves/, project maintained by khufkens. But why are there three curves?
Cause it's a composition of three sensors, one for green one for red and one for blue (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor). Each of them have their sensitivity range. As you can see, yellow isn't really in favor of a sensor.. Could be worth to play with raw images.

Return to “General discussion”