Jim JKla

Re: Request for better sound card support

Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:51 am

mahjongg wrote:I'm a bit puzzled why everybody wants to use an USB device to get audio in
It could be that there are a number of USB sound devices out there.

It is just like a lot of people want to use VGA monitors because they have them sitting.

There's probably a perception false or otherwise that USB sound in was easy to set up on a PC so it should be the same for the RPi.

The same also applies to USB webcams.

One of the early claims of the RPi was that it would be able to use existing USB devices like Mouse & Keyboard which for the main part the simple USB 1.1 wired ones it does, it's not that big a leap to assume other USB devices should be as easy however eroneous that belief. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

ski522

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:07 am

mahjongg wrote: Yes a codec chip should be chosen that works with the PI, but perhaps someone at the foundation can tell us which codec chip would be a good choice. Adafruit or someone else could build a board that plugs into the new I2S header, and offers 3.5mm jacks, and obviously a driver should be written that works with linux, but it would be a very good high quality and ultimately cheap solution, that doesn't use any USB bandwidth either.
That's an option, but it probably wouldn't be as cheap as the $1.99 (with shipping) USB sound adapter I bought and works fine, although I don't use audio in on it.

brianpickford

Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:54 pm

Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek
That opinion is not shared by all, 'noob' often is used as a derogatory term or in a pejorative way, where as newbie generally isn't.

On the subject of sound though, I use an SBPlay! hooked up to a home build valve amp on the latest revision RPi. The quality is actually very good,the greatest improvement I noticed was with the latest revision of the RPi.

I'm using MPD controlled by a few different MPD clients. I used both ALSA and Pulse, but found ALSA more straight forward to set-up and use.

I'm also using the RPi headless - with our an desktop manager of any kind running.

Ravenous

Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:28 pm

brianpickford wrote:That opinion is not shared by all, 'noob' often is used as a derogatory term or in a pejorative way, where as newbie generally isn't.
Heh I turn signatures off on my profile so I rarely have to read all that stuff :)
On the subject of sound though, I use an SBPlay! hooked up to a home build valve amp on the latest revision RPi. The quality is actually very good,the greatest improvement I noticed was with the latest revision of the RPi.
Thanks for the SBPlay tip - I'll eventually be needing something like that. (Home built valve amp - eek. I don't have the nerve for that sort of thing. Strictly simple, wimpy, low voltage stuff for me. I went back and read your original post by the way, very nice looking...)

silviu

Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:57 pm

I experimented and found how to lower the background noise of the analog sound.
Looking at the Raspberry Pi schematics I see that all sound related components are powered from the 3.3 V rail.
Adding more capacitors between the 3.3 V and ground is the way to go because the 3.3 V stabilizer has noise when a significant change in load exists on the 3.3 V rail... or even the 5 V rail.
My two capacitors that lowered the noise by a factor down to aproximately 20% of the original noise are a 250 nanofarad (blue and big, from a broken TV set) and a 10 microfarad.
I used a cutter to clean some paint over the 3.3 V rail near the 3.3 V stabilizer, heated the entire board with a hair dryer until it could not be touched and soldered on the cleaned spot and for ground I soldered directly on the metal of the microusb conector.
It looks like this:
3.3 V 250nF
|-------| |
| R|G2 USB
10uF cleaned |
|---------------|GND

paulie

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:42 pm

There are options other than USB: a quick search found

http://www.element14.com/community/comm ... CC-Wolfson
It has been my custom to use Xeyes

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:54 pm

paulie wrote:There are options other than USB: a quick search found

http://www.element14.com/community/comm ... CC-Wolfson
I had a look at and listen to one of those at the Jamboree on Friday. It looks and sounds fantastic. Bit pricey, (the Pi makes everything else look expensive) but really good if you need the Pi for high quality sound.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Richard-TX

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:53 am

I use the Behringer 302USB Mixer and the UCA202 with Rpis. They work very well. I have not tried to record audio as I don't care about that but the playback is very good.

The 302USB is $49
The UCA202 is $29

Richard
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

Return to “General discussion”