misox12
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 12:20 pm

Powered USB Hub, 700mA per port

Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:57 pm

Hi,
I am searching for Powered USB Hub to power RaspPi via single port:
  • 1) I don't want to use Y-shaped USB cable
    2) USB Hub must have 700mA per port
And that's problem, because all USB Hubs which I have checked provide only 500mA per port (what could be problem @1000hz overclock).

If you are using USB Hub to power RaspPi via single port, please share it.
Thank you.

dan3008
Posts: 1172
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Powered USB Hub, 700mA per port

Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:56 pm

should be possible

use http://pihub.blogspot.co.uk/ for a basic idea.
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

misox12
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 12:20 pm

Re: Powered USB Hub, 700mA per port

Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:51 pm

Yes, this is option too, but it will affect warranty of USB Hub.

Joe Schmoe
Posts: 4277
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Powered USB Hub, 700mA per port

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:12 am

My 2 cents worth is that if you have a cheap no-name hub, it should "just work". That's my experience, anyway. I have successfully run the Pi just by plugging a USB A -> Micro USB cable into my powered hub and it "just works". I assume it is drawing more than 500mA.

As I understand it, even though the USB spec says that a port need only supply a max of 500mA, some (most?) cheapy hubs don't follow the spec that closely and will just supply as much as the load draws (up to, of course, the total current rating of the power supply [wall wart]). This seems to work in our favor in this situation.
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

dan3008
Posts: 1172
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: Powered USB Hub, 700mA per port

Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:42 pm

misox12 wrote:Yes, this is option too, but it will affect warranty of USB Hub.
True, but i'm doing it with a £1 hub from my poundland, most pundshops or doller shops will stock cheap usb hubs though

atleast, they do in my exsperiance
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

notarat
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:32 pm

Re: Powered USB Hub, 700mA per port

Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:24 pm

misox12 wrote:Hi,
I am searching for Powered USB Hub to power RaspPi via single port:
  • 1) I don't want to use Y-shaped USB cable
    2) USB Hub must have 700mA per port
And that's problem, because all USB Hubs which I have checked provide only 500mA per port (what could be problem @1000hz overclock).

If you are using USB Hub to power RaspPi via single port, please share it.
Thank you.
Purchase a Powered USB 3.0 hub. Each Port is capable of 900ma per port, if the mfgr made it to the USB 3.0 spec.

reppard
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:50 am

Re: Powered USB Hub, 700mA per port

Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:54 am

Here was my solution. No named crap USB Hub. Both Pi and hub powered from the GPIO. Works great with wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, ethernet and an external HD running.
Image
Image

plasticarmyman
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:48 am

Re: Powered USB Hub, 700mA per port

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:50 am

reppard wrote:Here was my solution. No named crap USB Hub. Both Pi and hub powered from the GPIO. Works great with wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, ethernet and an external HD running.
Image
Image

you mind giving me more detailed pictures of that...and what power supply do you use for that? i'm working on a project that needs something of that sort...

Strillo
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:01 am

Re: Powered USB Hub, 700mA per port

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:04 am

reppard wrote:Here was my solution. No named crap USB Hub. Both Pi and hub powered from the GPIO. Works great with wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, ethernet and an external HD running.
Could you post some more details and/or a diagram of the connections?

Return to “General discussion”