ludespeedny

Unable to connect to device by name, but can by IP

Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:56 am

When I initially set up the Pi, I was able to ftp and ssh into it using the device name (rapsbmc) but now am unable to and have to use the ip. Any ideas on how to fix?

Balthazar54

Re: Unable to connect to device by name, but can by IP

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:39 am

The same happened to me. After I rebooted the Ubuntu system I was connecting from, I was then able to connect by name.

I left a message on the Ubuntu forum asking if anyone knew where the name was being cached, never got a response.
Question: linux != tanstaafl ?

cave

Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:40 am

quickhack:
make an entry in your hosts file.
http://cavebeat.blogspot.co.at

ludespeedny

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:06 pm

On the windows machine?
Ideally I would like to just enter the device name in on my computer, laptop, blackberry etc to get the remote when needed, or FTP to it.

poglad

Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:13 pm

If you haven't changed anything on the Pi, then perhaps something has changed on your main computer. I had this problem at first - I had installed avahi on the Pi so that it shared its name as wildcat.local, and I was able to remote to it with that name. Later, I found I couldn't. Turned out I had uninstalled iTunes (actually, the Bonjour service) from my main computer. That was the service that had enabled the computer to find out the Pi's name.

SN

Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:18 pm

for those on windows desktops wishing to match up pis to IP's etc you could do worse than look at Over Look's fing - http://www.overlooksoft.com/

I had the Android version on my Galaxy S2 and have just pulled the Windows version down - I'm pretty sure a simple hack with some windows cmd scripting will get me my windows host file updated based on what fing finds on my network....
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

ludespeedny

Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:18 am

I have the same issue on both computers.
I did recently swap out routers, is that a possibility?
I had the TP Link WR-541-G and now have the Rosewill RNX-N300RT

ludespeedny

Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:32 am

Just hooked it up to my old router and no difference.
They both are set to the same workgroup although on the Pi I have not specified a WINS server. Do I need to?

ludespeedny

Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Do I need to specify a netbios name somewhere?

ludespeedny

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:24 pm

I tried using the netbios name and server string in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file but didn't appear to make any difference.
It doesn't look like that file is even used by Raspbmc since the workgroup is different than the one I used in my configuration. Does anyone know where the settings are saved for the network configuration in raspbmc? I also am using the network manager add-on for wireless, so if I could just use a different configuration for my wireless that would solve my issues, let me know!

Return to “General discussion”