owenhu99

Raspberry Pi 3 External Storage Ideas

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:03 am

I'm running a headless Raspberry Pi 3 as a music player (using volumio) with only an on board DAC (PiFi DAC+) attached through GPIO. I would like to use my external HDD (Toshiba Canvio 1TB) for extended storage, but I'm worried that it might draw too much power as compared to a USB drive. Is this a concern? What do you guys use as extended storage? Thanks!

HawaiianPi

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 External Storage Ideas

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:13 am

If you are using the official Raspberry Pi Universal Power Supply you should be fine.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

owenhu99

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:20 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:13 am
If you are using the official Raspberry Pi Universal Power Supply you should be fine.
I'm using a random 5V-2.5A adaptor, so as long as the rating is consistent with the actual performance, it should be alright?

HawaiianPi

Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:02 pm

Depends on the adapter, they are all not created equal, regardless of what the spec's say.

Some, so-called Raspberry Pi power supplies are just re-purposed phone chargers, and since charging phone batteries does not require precise voltage control, they may have poor voltage regulation. I have tested 5V/2.4A chargers that dipped well below 5V at only a 1A load. If your "power supply" can maintain 5V while the HDD spins up (which could require 1A+ of current), then it will work. If it drops below 4.75V under load, the HDD could have problems (and if it drops below 4.63V the Pi3 will turn off the red power LED to indicate a low voltage condition).

Give it a try and if it seems to boot and run, work the system for a while (give it a good workout), then try this command:

Code: Select all

vcgencmd get_throttled
If you get a non-zero result, post it here.

I routinely use USB hard drives up to 2TB on my Pi systems (powered by Pi USB port). So it should work if you have a good Pi PSU
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

pws

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:50 pm

Here's another recommendation for a nice compact aluminum case. I have an SSD mounted in it and it has been quite reliable! Several reboots and cold boots have had no issues. Powered through the Pi (no USB hub or external pwr supply for the SSD).

Seatay Aluminum Tool-Free 2.5 Inch SATA to USB 3.0 External Hard Disk Drive Enclosure for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5" SATA HDD and SSD Support UASP

https://www.amazon.com/Seatay-Tool-Free ... 2B2.5&th=1

Return to “General discussion”