rew

pi one still supported?

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:12 pm

Hi,
Is the original PI still supported? I need a "linux computer with USB and ethernet" and even a PI one would be overkill. So I thought I'd use the old pi that is collecting dust somewhere for this application, but somewhere in the process it suddenly died. And I got another pi one from the pile and... same thing: nothing! Transplanted the SD card into a pi 3 and voila, it works as it is supposed to.

So it now looks as if something updated on the image to make it Pi 2+ only, or something actually fried the hardware....

I downloaded raspbian from the official downloads page only yesterday. So the image is current.
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

fruitoftheloom

Re: pi one still supported?

Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:15 pm

rew wrote:
Hi,
Is the original PI still supported? I need a "linux computer with USB and ethernet" and even a PI one would be overkill. So I thought I'd use the old pi that is collecting dust somewhere for this application, but somewhere in the process it suddenly died. And I got another pi one from the pile and... same thing: nothing! Transplanted the SD card into a pi 3 and voila, it works as it is supposed to.

So it now looks as if something updated on the image to make it Pi 2+ only, or something actually fried the hardware....

I downloaded raspbian from the official downloads page only yesterday. So the image is current.

Raspbian Stretch is suitable for all Raspberry Pi SBCs.....
Retired disgracefully.....

DarkPlatinum

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:42 pm

I am a bit confused here, you said Pi one? I thought that Pi came with a full sized SD card, not a micro SD as required by a pi 3?
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Check Out My Raspberry Site (Run on a Raspberry Pi 3B :) ): https://html.dynu.net

Imperf3kt

Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:57 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:42 pm
I am a bit confused here, you said Pi one? I thought that Pi came with a full sized SD card, not a micro SD as required by a pi 3?
It's possible the OP used an adapter.
Micro SD cards can fit in SD card slots, but not the other way around.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:04 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:15 pm
rew wrote:
Hi,

Raspbian Stretch is suitable for all Raspberry Pi SBCs.....
+1 and, FWIW, albeit with an older version of Stretch here's some working examples:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... iPiTV.html
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

pcmanbob

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:27 pm

Here's my pi 1 with 256MB of ram running a fresh copy of raspbian stretch lite download today.

and i just used the same sd card to micro sd card adapter that I use when writing SD cards, to enable me to run micro sd card in pi 1.

So getting back to the problem , do you have anything connected to the gpio or plugged in to the usb sockets ?
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

gordon77

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:52 am

I took the SD card with the latest full raspbian out of my 3B, put it in a Sd adaptor, and my old pi 1 (256MB) booted OK.

rew

Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Yes, I buy the Micro SD cards with adapter. So I now have plenty of adapters around to put the microSD into the original pi.

The goal is to have my scanner connected and I had just hooked that up when the troubles started. Maybe the printer is outputting 12V on the VUSB? Nope. 0V. And the scanner is now working with the PI3.

Anyway, part of "debugging" that I had already done is to remove the USB scanner.

I downloaded the raspbian image, it ran, and then I started installing stuff and configuring before it stopped working.
I attached a screen and I get totally nothing. So even the GPU-boot-file isn't loaded/executed correctly (that would give me the rainbow square). I don't see any activity lights anymore. Just the power led.

(I trust the pi's enough that I download an image, enable SSH with "echo yes > /mnt/ssh" and then boot it up headless. Change the password and work from there.. Normally no screen needed. (the screen I have that has HDMI was bought in 2012 to be able to see something should my first pi not boot as expected.))
Check out our raspberry pi addons: https://www.bitwizard.nl/shop/

DavidS

Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:22 pm

rew wrote:
Hi,

I have found that there are a few firmware releases that will refuse to boot on BCM2835 based Raspberry Pi's. Generally these are isolated rare releases and just changing the firmware corrects the problem. Not sure why this is, especially as the VideoCoreIV has not changed between all the Raspberry Pi's thus far, and the first stages of the firmware run on the VideoCoreIV.

Fix is simple, either roll back the firmware or roll it forward.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

DavidS

Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:27 pm

rew wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:10 pm
Yes, I buy the Micro SD cards with adapter. So I now have plenty of adapters around to put the microSD into the original pi.

The goal is to have my scanner connected and I had just hooked that up when the troubles started. Maybe the printer is outputting 12V on the VUSB? Nope. 0V. And the scanner is now working with the PI3.

Anyway, part of "debugging" that I had already done is to remove the USB scanner.

I downloaded the raspbian image, it ran, and then I started installing stuff and configuring before it stopped working.
I attached a screen and I get totally nothing. So even the GPU-boot-file isn't loaded/executed correctly (that would give me the rainbow square). I don't see any activity lights anymore. Just the power led.

(I trust the pi's enough that I download an image, enable SSH with "echo yes > /mnt/ssh" and then boot it up headless. Change the password and work from there.. Normally no screen needed. (the screen I have that has HDMI was bought in 2012 to be able to see something should my first pi not boot as expected.))
Now you mention USB usage. The original Raspberry Pi did have some issues with the way the power was on USB, sometimes a simple device unplug or plug in would cause a hardware reset of the originals. This was the case up until the RPi B+/A+ came out. Though I would also check the firmware by trying a different version.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

bensimmo

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:16 pm

That rebooting occurs on the Zero when you add remove USB parts.

My current images are working on my B and A's.

If you attach a HDMI display, you'll need to reboot for the screen to be seen. (it needs to be attached at boot time).

Give it a kick, throw it around in a temper, stare intently at it and pop of have a cup of tea and see if it's behaves itself ?

Can you work out which version you have (in case that matters to anyone)

https://raspi.tv/2014/the-raspberry-pi-family

it's easier from that link that this crowded version ;-)
https://raspi.tv/2018/new-raspberry-pi- ... us-zero-wh

MarkTF

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:42 pm

The original Pi was more sensitive to power supply irregularities than later versions so it would be worth trying different USB power brick and cable combinations.

RaTTuS

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:44 pm

yes,

Code: Select all

cat /proc/cpuinfo ; uname -a ; cat /etc/os-release
processor       : 0
model name      : ARMv6-compatible processor rev 7 (v6l)
BogoMIPS        : 697.95
Features        : half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x0
CPU part        : 0xb76
CPU revision    : 7

Hardware        : BCM2835
Revision        : 0002
Serial          : 00000000134e058d
Linux PiOne 4.14.34+ #1110 Mon Apr 16 14:51:42 BST 2018 armv6l GNU/Linux
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jahboater

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Rattus,
Out of interest, what does

cat /proc/device-tree/model; echo
say on the Pi1 ?

rpdom

Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:48 pm

Well, I have more than one original Pi 1B here to test things on if needed (one still has the USB fuses). Last time I tried it worked perfectly on the latest Raspbian image.

DougieLawson

Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:10 pm

I have five RPi 1Bs, a RPi A+, a RPiB+ a Zero and a ZeroW - all of those are still running 24/365.

Two of the 1Bs are at 135 days uptime on the 4.14.59+ kernel.

The B+ & A+ are running the BRANCH=next 4.19.8+ kernel. Zero and one 1B is running 4.14.87+. The ZeroW and a couple of 1Bs are also running 4.19.8+.

I've had some struggles with the WiFi drivers, but I've stopped updating anything on any Raspberry before January now.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

RaTTuS

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:45 am

jahboater wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:53 pm
Rattus,
Out of interest, what does

cat /proc/device-tree/model; echo
say on the Pi1 ?
it says :-

Raspberry Pi Model B Rev 1
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jahboater

Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:49 am

Thanks.

As new Pi models came out I gave away the older ones (to a local school) - something I now regret :(

Return to “General discussion”