DBloke
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:00 pm
Contact: Website

Re: What ones best?

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:10 pm

feel free to move this topic if its in the wrong place.

As I have probably said a few times im a Linux noob. So I could do with some advice on choosing one that works best with the RaPi.

I used a distribution chooser site in the past, but i dont think the ones it suggested will work

I will be using my RaPi as a emulation machine for old consoles/computers so ideally it would have to have the emulators working for it (Mainly Speccy, C64 and BEEB) other main one is it must be easy to use, a windows style one would be perfect.

Prometheus
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: What ones best?

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:34 pm

If you're new to it, you may be best off just going with whatever the "official" distro for the Raspberry Pi turns out to be, to get started. We don't know what that is yet, as they're still dealing with some legalities and suchlike, but no doubt we'll hear about it soon.

At the very least, we know (from the FAQ), that the ARM ports of Debian and Fedora are among those that will be supported, and both of these distros have facilities to allow you to search for particular packages (pre-bundled software that you install via a package manager, which is essentially the "app store" format many are now familiar with, but much older ). Of course, this includes searching for software compiled for ARM.

For example, Debian's package-search for the "armel" architecture reveals that FUSE (the Free Unix Spectrum Emulator) is available, so this will definitely be installable on your RPi. Fedora's ARM package-search reveals the same, too.

So, yeah, have a look around these two to see if the software you're after is available, as they'll both definitely work on the RPi. Whatever the official one is will likely have the same software available, too (as has been my experience with Linux and dealing with a couple of distros, myself).

I hope this helps a bit.

Benedict White
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:24 am

Re: What ones best?

Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:44 pm

It depends on what you want to do with the Pi, and how willing you are to get your hands dirty.

digital_addict
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:40 pm

Re: What ones best?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:19 am

DBloke said:



As I have probably said a few times im a Linux noob. So I could do with some advice on choosing one that works best with the RaPi.

I used a distribution chooser site in the past, but i dont think the ones it suggested will work

I will be using my RaPi as a emulation machine for old consoles/computers so ideally it would have to have the emulators working for it (Mainly Speccy, C64 and BEEB) other main one is it must be easy to use, a windows style one would be perfect.


Prometheus said:


If you"re new to it, you may be best off just going with whatever the "official" distro for the Raspberry Pi turns out to be, to get started. We don"t know what that is yet, as they"re still dealing with some legalities and suchlike, but no doubt we"ll hear about it soon.

At the very least, we know (from the FAQ), that the ARM ports of Debian and Fedora are among those that will be supported, and both of these distros have facilities to allow you to search for particular packages (pre-bundled software that you install via a package manager, which is essentially the "app store" format many are now familiar with, but much older ). Of course, this includes searching for software compiled for ARM.

For example, Debian"s package-search for the "armel" architecture reveals that FUSE (the Free Unix Spectrum Emulator) is available, so this will definitely be installable on your RPi. Fedora"s ARM package-search reveals the same, too.

So, yeah, have a look around these two to see if the software you're after is available, as they"ll both definitely work on the RPi. Whatever the official one is will likely have the same software available, too (as has been my experience with Linux and dealing with a couple of distros, myself).

I hope this helps a bit.



Archlinux is the other possible alternative which has arm packages. I found it difficult to install on an x86 machine, so would definitely place it 3rd. QEMU would do your emulation, and works on just about everything. Try “PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, Thank you.” in search.



There is a guy trying to make a Trycorder somewhere on the site, he might help.

Prometheus
Posts: 308
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Re: What ones best?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:26 am

^ I don't think that Qemu would be suitable for the emulation of classic computers and games systems, though, if I'm not mistaken. That was why I linked to example search results for a ZX Spectrum emulator.

Benedict White
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:24 am

Re: What ones best?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:27 am

digital_addict said:


Archlinux is the other possible alternative which has arm packages. I found it difficult to install on an x86 machine, so would definitely place it 3rd. QEMU would do your emulation, and works on just about everything. Try “PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING, Thank you.” in search.


Difficult to install or difficult to get it to do what you wanted it to do?



That said, if you are downloading an SD card image, it will be an installed machine ready to run, regardless of which distro is used. On X86 there is so much variation in both hardware and what people want to use it for, in the Raspberry Pi there is no variance in hardware, and so a base image can be provided to be customised to your own devices.

Foxhat
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:22 am

Re: What ones best?

Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:43 am

"There is a guy trying to make a Trycorder somewhere on the site, he might help. "

We should all help him and grab this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/tech.....y-16518171

Return to “General discussion”