krrishdheeraj

Does it is necessary to use a Monitor(any type) in First time.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:19 pm

Recently I buy one raspberry pi 3b+, 5V 2.5A power supply, 32Gb SD card, Keyboard, Mouse and one HDMI to VGA convert.I didn't have any computer so I prepare my sd card using pi sd card image. I found this app in play store. I select Raspbian Desktop and select my sd card and start downloading and write to sd card and after half hours I successfully write Raspbian Desktop. When I plug VGA output of HDMI to VGA convert to VGA input of Monitor so I found my VGA convert is broken and it is not replaceable with new cable because my monitor is very old.
So my question if I didn't have any type of Monitor or display so how I prepare my raspberry pi for connecting VNC server without using any computer or Monitor.
I didn't do any bootload previously.

Thank You.

DirkS

Re: Does it is necessary to use a Monitor(any type) in First time.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:24 pm

Enable SSH (*), log in with SSH, activate VNC with 'sudo raspi-config'

(*) see https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md section "3. Enable SSH on a headless Raspberry Pi (add file to SD card on another machine)"

topguy

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:30 pm

DirkS assumes that the Pi is connected to cabled ethernet and that there is a DHCP server that gives the Pi an IP-adress,
and that you can find that IP-address or use "pi@raspberrypi.local" when connecting with SSH... but other than that the procedure is correct.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:26 pm

And... Check your monitor carefully. See if it has a DVI connector (more rectangular than a VGA HDB-15 and usually white). If so, just get an inexpensive HDMI to DVI cable and away you go.

krrishdheeraj

Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:42 pm

DirkS wrote:

(*) see https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md section "3. Enable SSH on a headless Raspberry Pi (add file to SD card on another machine)"
I already told you I did not have any monitor so how I open command line?

krrishdheeraj

Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:47 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
And... Check your monitor carefully. See if it has a DVI connector (more rectangular than a VGA HDB-15 and usually white). If so, just get an inexpensive HDMI to DVI cable and away you go.
Due to old version monitor so I did not have any other connector like HDMI,AV and DVI.
I have only one smartphone.

n67

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:21 pm

krrishdheeraj wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:42 pm
DirkS wrote:

If you follow the above link (I'm guessing it is what I think it is - namely, the instructions on how to drop a magic file into the /boot partition to enable ssh ) then you could, in theory at least, ssh in and do command line stuff.

But if, as you say, you don't have any computer at all (just a "smartphone"), then you may be out of luck.

How did you make the bootable SD card at all? Is there a smartphone app for that? (I've never heard that there was). I think pretty much all the support stuff on this forum assumes that you do have a computer on the side (usually either Mac or PC).
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:27 pm

krrishdheeraj wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Due to old version monitor so I did not have any other connector like HDMI,AV and DVI.
I have only one smartphone.
DirkS wrote:

There are several smartphone apps that provide the capability to SSH into the Pi (command line) eg. JuiceSSH
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

fruitoftheloom

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:42 pm

krrishdheeraj wrote:
Recently I buy one raspberry pi 3b+, 5V 2.5A power supply, 32Gb SD card, Keyboard, Mouse and one HDMI to VGA convert.I didn't have any computer so I prepare my sd card using pi sd card image. I found this app in play store. I select Raspbian Desktop and select my sd card and start downloading and write to sd card and after half hours I successfully write Raspbian Desktop. When I plug VGA output of HDMI to VGA convert to VGA input of Monitor so I found my VGA convert is broken and it is not replaceable with new cable because my monitor is very old.
So my question if I didn't have any type of Monitor or display so how I prepare my raspberry pi for connecting VNC server without using any computer or Monitor.

Thank You.

There are no HDMi to VGA Cables, you need something like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tintec-Gold-Pl ... B074RDFGCF
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

krrishdheeraj

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:53 pm

How did you make the bootable SD card at all? Is there a smartphone app for that? (I've never heard that there was). I think pretty much all the support stuff on this forum assumes that you do have a computer on the side (usually either Mac or PC).
I know that I need PC for write Raspbian OS into SD Card but I use this application in smartphone for write Raspbian OS into SD Card.
Link of this app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... cardimager
if you have any Android Smartphone so check this application.

krrishdheeraj

Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:57 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:42 pm
krrishdheeraj wrote:

Thank You.

There are no HDMi to VGA Cables, you need something like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tintec-Gold-Pl ... B074RDFGCF
yes,I have this convert.

drgeoff

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:17 pm

If you put the SD card back into your phone can you find a file called config.txt on the card?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

HawaiianPi

Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:28 pm

Everything below assumes your Pi is connected to the same network as your phone. Usually this would be your router or Internet gateway. So first we need to know if you have any kind of local network or Internet service.

SSH is a remote connection to access the command line on another computer. You connect to your Pi over a network and then you can enter commands. To use SSH you need to enable it on the Pi and download an SSH client for your phone (there are several for Android). To enable SSH you create a file named ssh (or ssh.txt) on the SD card after writing the Raspbian image to it (not sure if you can do this on your phone without root). When that card is booted, Raspbian will see that file and turn on SSH (and then delete the file).

RealVNC allows a remote desktop connection so you can interact with the Raspbian Desktop/GUI. The RealVNC server is included with the Desktop version of Raspbian, but you first need to connect with SSH and enable it in raspi-config. You can get the RealVNC viewer for Android. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... er.android
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “General discussion”