Void Frost

PSA(Public Service Announcment) USE APT instead of APT-GET

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:08 pm

Apparently Apt is newer than apt-get. The functions are pretty much the same, just executed different ways :D :D
Raspberry Pi User. Subscribe to my YouTube channel, if you want :D https://www.youtube.com/c/VoidFrost

n67

Re: PSA(Public Service Announcment) USE APT instead of APT-GET

Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:18 pm

It'd be nice if you actually gave a reason for your position - a reason why apt is unequivocally better than apt-get.

It's true that they do pretty much the same thing, just using slightly different syntax, but that's not really a reason to prefer one over the other.

That all said, for the most common case, namely, installing a new package, I see just two differences between the two commands ("apt install" vs. "apt-get install"):

1) apt has a pretty, colorful, onscreen display. Note that this might wreak havoc if run non-interactively.

2) apt removes the .deb file after it is done installing. apt-get leaves it behind. Normally, this is a plus for apt, but there have been just enough times when I've wanted to inspect the archive file after the install, that I pretty much avoid using apt.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

Void Frost

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:56 pm

I said it was newer.
thats really the only reason, that I know of
Raspberry Pi User. Subscribe to my YouTube channel, if you want :D https://www.youtube.com/c/VoidFrost

davidcoton

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:27 pm

I dug into this some time ago, when apt was first available. From memory, the differences are deep down, where the default behaviour of apt has been tuned for interactive use. apt-get is tuned for batch use and has been retained to avoid breaking scripts.

There are minor syntax changes, for example: apt full-upgrade instead of apt-get dist-upgrade. I think apt dist-upgrade also works.
For me, for interactive use, the shorter command wins!
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache

Return to “General discussion”