HawaiianPi

A warning about the new ELUTENG USB-SATA adapter.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:23 am

FINAL CONCLUSION!
The new ELUTENG adapter cable with the blue SATA connector is not reliable on the Pi. :cry:

After lots more testing, it just isn't consistent. It will often behave properly for many tests, and then flake out again for some unknown reason. I suspect some kind of marginal timing issue, but I was never able to determine the specific cause. Upgrading Raspbian helps some, but doesn't fix the issues completely. It worked better with the Crucial MX500, but it's still not 100% with that drive.

Replacing the new adapter with the older one completely solves all problems, so it's not an issue with Raspbian.

Too bad, so sad. :( One of our best USB boot options is no more. :cry:

ORIGINAL POST:
Those of you who have participated in threads about USB booting a Pi3 have probably seen me recommend an inexpensive USB 3.0 to SATA III adapter cable by ELUTENG. It had proven to be highly compatible, booting every SSD and HDD that I tried. Sadly that great little ELUTENG adapter cable has recently been replaced by a newer model that does not work so well with the Pi. :cry:

The new model can easily be identified by its blue SATA connector (old left, new right).
ELUTENG_old_new.jpg
ELUTENG_old_new.jpg (40.36 KiB) Viewed 3598 times

I have posted many links to the adapter on Amazon USA, but those links now point to the newer model. :(
  • I have found the older model under a different ASIN, but it's currently unavailable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MS5XU1V
  • Likely never to come back, as it looks like Amazon just moved the old model here.
  • Which invalidates all the reviews under the previous listing, since they are for this model (not the new one).
In testing the new model I've had problems with cold boot. If it boots it seems fine, because reboots work, but once you shut the system down getting it to boot up again can be problematic (it fails more than it succeeds). EDIT: Further testing had reboot issues as well. This is my experience with only a single unit, so I suppose it's possible there is a problem with this particular one, but it works great on my Win10 gaming laptop, so I doubt it's a defect.

As it stands now, I cannot recommend the newer model. If you can still find the older version, grab a spare while you can.
Last edited by HawaiianPi on Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:40 am, edited 8 times in total.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Andyroo

Re: A warning about the new ELUTENG USB-SATA adapter.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:02 pm

Beginning to think this is a lost cause for consistency from suppliers and now considering:

1) Minimal Linux that’s memory resident
2) Giving up on the B series and trying the new A
3) Moving the majority of OS to the HDD / SSD though still using an SD card as minimal boot
4) Using another board totally

Three wishes:

a) One of the third party suppliers make a USB to SATA that works
b) The SD card working group would create an OPEN DATA stream where something like the SMART stats could track replacement blocks so you could get a warning :shock:
c) WD would re-open the lab. Anyone any idea why they closed it so quickly?
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

W. H. Heydt

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:51 pm

Andyroo wrote:
c) WD would re-open the lab. Anyone any idea why they closed it so quickly?
Probably weren't making any--or "enough"--money. For companies of that size, the Pi is a pretty small market and is extremely price sensitive. Another--possible--issue. I got a WD SATA adapter early on. I was able to set up a CM1 with just the /boot partition on the on-board flash. It worked just fine. Then when the CM3L came out, I tested that adapter with CM3L booting directly from an attached SSD. (I still have that set up.) So.... I bought two more adapters. Neither of them will boot with everything on the attached SSD. *Something* changed in the time between the initial board and later ones. This is something one would have expected WD to test for, but--apparently--they didn't.

This, you understand, in spite of flaws with the SATA adapter right from the very beginning. The adapter boards have 2 USB connectors and no Ethernet jack, meaning that one winds up with network and one USB or two USB and no network. Adding either a third USB port, or an Ethernet jack would have made, I think, an enormous difference in usability.

I also got two of the 314GB PiDrive HDDs when they were introduced. One I actively use--it started out with a Pi2Bv1.1 with /boot on an SD card, then went to a full USB boot for a Pi3B and is now the boot device for a Pi3B+ (and it will probably get a Pi4B when that shows up...maybe with USB 3?). I even did a transfer rate test with it on another board that has native USB 3 (came to around 80MB/s). The other is still in it's original packaging. I never did get around to buying any of the other sizes they sold (I thought the 250GB had potential). The introductory price of $31.41 was clever and reasonable....for use with a Pi. The regular price of $45 is another matter.

When the Pi first came out, I looked at cases and my immediate thought was that at $15 to $20 for a case was kind of ridiculous for a $35 computer. I'm afraid that $45 for a 314GB HDD strikes me much the same way. In the end, it may not have made economic sense to sell the drives for less.

HawaiianPi

Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:09 am

Andyroo wrote:
Beginning to think this is a lost cause for consistency from suppliers
Well at least Amazon UK still has the old/original model. Get 'em while they're hot (available).

I found a listing for the original model on Amazon USA under a different ASIN, but it's,
"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
"

And there are no reviews. So it looks like Amazon USA switched stock numbers for the original model (my review is now under the listing for the new model). I really hate it when they do crap like that (makes the reviews confusing, and in some cases, worthless) Oh well...

davidcoton

Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:04 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:09 am
(my review is now under the listing for the new model). I really hate it when they do crap like that (makes the reviews confusing, and in some cases, worthless) Oh well...
You should report that to Amazon -- it's quite unacceptable.
Signature retired

grininmonkey

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:11 pm

I went thru almost $100 bucks between 4 products before I had something consistently working in my "journey" of external SSD booting for the Pi... I first tried Geekworm X820 SATA Shield ( That was a bust ), then I tried two straight adapters similar to the one mentioned by the OP... one seemed to work fine with traditional 2.5" spin drive but not an SSD.... so I then tried the cheapest result from a search on amazon and it was actually an Amazon Basics product .. http://a.co/d/4pqevDz which has been working rock solid for either SSD or plain 2.5" and I have since used a couple more without issue on other Pi's.

Its frustrating for sure, but I really wish the bloody X820 had worked as I really wanted to use a shield / board to keep wiring and layout to a minimum.... but now I simply drill some holes in the plastic drive cover of that Amazon Enclosure and mount the Pi on top of the enclosure ;-)

pws

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:46 pm

I have been running a Geekworm X820 since July, booting SSD only and all updates applied regularly. Hasn't missed a beat and is very reliable. I can't imagine what you could have done to cause such problems.

grininmonkey

Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:59 pm

pws wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:46 pm
I have been running a Geekworm X820 since July, booting SSD only and all updates applied regularly. Hasn't missed a beat and is very reliable. I can't imagine what you could have done to cause such problems.
I ordered one ( v1.3 at the time ), and the only thing in the box was the board, did not have the HDMI, USB nor power jumper..... I contacted the vendor and they sent me the missing pieces along with missing drive secure down bolts and stand offs .... I then plugged in a drive and powered it and it was feeding power to the Pi fine via the jumper... but lsblk was never showing a new sd[x], I then swapped out to a spinning drive in order to listen or hear rather or not power was getting to a drive.... I was hearing nothing.... I then googled for what the pins on the SATA connector where to test for power... and found there was indeed no power to expected pins... so I did a return and after waiting for almost 1 week with no word... I canceled and got money back.

I wanted something working, and just didn't have the notion to keep trying.... but like I mentioned... I ended up delayed anyway.. :(

I may give the newer v3.0 a try .... because I would really prefer something like the X820 over plastic enclosure....

TudorJ

Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:56 pm

I ordered one of the old ones from Amazon UK yesterday, arrived today and it was the new one!!! The package was marked “new”, the new one is more expensive than the old one, but I was charged the lower price. Returned as “wrong item sent”.
So be aware if you order the old one from Amazon UK you will probably get the new one.

HawaiianPi

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:01 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:04 am
You should report that to Amazon -- it's quite unacceptable.
Except they do it all the time, so it must be intentional.
TudorJ wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:56 pm
I ordered one of the old ones from Amazon UK yesterday, arrived today and it was the new one!!! The package was marked “new”, the new one is more expensive than the old one, but I was charged the lower price.
Are you sure you ordered the correct one? When I looked the new one was less expensive (and it still seems that way from my links above).

HawaiianPi

Re: A *caution* about the new ELUTENG USB-SATA adapter.

Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:40 pm

See update edited into the first post (OP). Things might not be as bad as I had thought...

Thread title has been changed from warning to caution pending further testing.

TudorJ

Re: A *caution* about the new ELUTENG USB-SATA adapter.

Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:58 pm

I certainly ordered the correct one and paid the lower amount for it. Got the higher priced new one, exactly like your posted photo, easy to see the difference, shapes, plug style and colour all different.

HawaiianPi

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:43 am

I have done a lot more testing with the newer ELUTENG adapter cable and a few different drives, and my final conclusion has been edited into the original post. But to save you the trouble of scrolling up, it's a no go.

The newer model with the blue SATA connector is not reliable on the Pi. :cry:

I have posted many links to the older model that now point to the newer model, due to some shifty item swapping on Amazon's part. I will try to find those posts and reference this thread, but I probably won't find them all. It sucks that Amazon moved the old model to a new ASIN # and swapped the new one into the old number (along with all the reviews), but there's not much I can do about that (I have filed a complaint).

chwe

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:41 pm

can you be sure that it isn't a powering issue? maybe the powering wires are a bit thinner ends in a voltage drop which is just big enough to shutdown your HDDs? 2.5'' HDDs can be powerhungry and with an microUSB powered SBC (like the Pi) you can be quite near to acceptable limits..

IMO known good USB-Sata bridges are the once JMicron JMS578 based (in fact my 'NAS SBC' has such a bridge connected to USB3 directly on the 'SBCs' PCB to avoid connector issues as well - not an issue with USB2 but can be one with USB3 if you care about speed)...

HawaiianPi

Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:15 am

It's not a power issue. I have a good PSU and I was testing with a modern, power efficient SSD (several of them).

The chipset is not entirely at fault either. It's a complex interaction between the chipset, drive and firmware. The older Eluteng adapter used the ASMedia chipset, and it worked with every SSD and HDD that I tried. The new adapter uses the same chipset, and it has problems.

I have multiple adapters with JMS578 chipsets that also behave differently.

Unfortunately there is no simple solution. There is no way to know if any USB adapter or drive will work without testing, regardless of chipset. As a major computer geek and gadget nerd I have access to more equipment than most, so I have tested quite a variety of options. The older Eluteng USB3-SATA3 adapter cable was the best solution I had found, but it is no longer available. The new one seems to work with some drives, but its behavior is very inconsistent. Sometimes it will seem to be working fine, only to crap out later. The old one always worked.

It's too bad. I liked the power and activity LED indicators on the new model, and it's actually faster on USB 3.0 than the older one, but it's just not reliable or compatible enough to recommend.

chwe

Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:14 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
It's not a power issue. I have a good PSU and I was testing with a modern, power efficient SSD (several of them).

The chipset is not entirely at fault either. It's a complex interaction between the chipset, drive and firmware. The older Eluteng adapter used the ASMedia chipset, and it worked with every SSD and HDD that I tried. The new adapter uses the same chipset, and it has problems.
Does it work reliable on an x86 machine without userspace drivers (kernel stuff only) in case yes are those kernel modules present on your RPi Kernel, if yes, it's (likely) an RPi issue not an adapter issue. A 'good PSU' doesn't matter if we talk about voltagedrop related power issues (not 100% true but partly). I tried to summarize this on an other forum a year ago (since it's about RPi competitors and I don't want to upset the trading company here I won't share the link). 'The more amperes you need' the more voltagedrop you'll have, resistance through cables and connectors don't change and the 5V shouldn't change as well but a microUSB connector was never made to power an SoC and an HDD/SSD (they're specified up to 1.8A and official USB specification tells us that the voltage should be between 5.25 and 4.75V). If powerconsumption of the new USB-SATA chip on this adapter is more powerhungry things can go bad. According to numbers I found online a Pi 3b+ consumes idle roughly 2W (400mA @5V). If the adapter cable then is bad as well there will be a second voltage drop to the SSD and you can easily end in an undervoltage situation (maybe not on the Pi itself but on the USB-SATA bridge).

I know only one SBC with USB-Sata bridge directly on the PCB which is powered at 5V (they don't allow 3.5'' disks on it). Their default PSU is a 5V 4A one with a barrel plug (which has a way less undervoltage issues cause the contacts are bigger than on microUSB) and this system runs reliable.

HawaiianPi wrote:
Unfortunately there is no simple solution. There is no way to know if any USB adapter or drive will work without testing, regardless of chipset. As a major computer geek and gadget nerd I have access to more equipment than most, so I have tested quite a variety of options. The older Eluteng USB3-SATA3 adapter cable was the best solution I had found, but it is no longer available. The new one seems to work with some drives, but its behavior is very inconsistent. Sometimes it will seem to be working fine, only to crap out later. The old one always worked.
There are.. buy the one made by a RPi competitor with JMS578.. :lol: It's around 10$ and you can add a 12V barrel plug in case you want a 3.5'' HDD on it.. ;)
I don't need much hardware to test. It's more doing your homework prior to buy random stuff, don't go for the absolute cheapest solution and you don't get that often fooled (still happens but not as often).

HawaiianPi

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:52 am

chwe wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:14 pm
There are.. buy the one made by a RPi competitor with JMS578.. :lol: It's around 10$ and you can add a 12V barrel plug in case you want a 3.5'' HDD on it.. ;)
As I said above, the chipset is not the answer. I have JMicron 578 based adapters that do and don't work (same for ASMedia).
I don't need much hardware to test. It's more doing your homework...
Doing your homework is testing. If you haven't tested with a variety of drives you are making assumptions. I have one adapter that works great with three other brands of SSD but fails with Samsung. The old Eluteng adapter cable has worked with every drive I have tried, more than a dozen drives from 6 different brands, including some hard drives (and all worked with only USB power from the Pi).

There seems to be another seller on Amazon USA with an adapter cable that is identical to the old Eluteng. All the information I have extracted from it matches the Eluteng, and it worked with 2 different SSD models and 2 different hard drives (all different brands).

I only received it recently, and so far I have tested it with:
  • Silicon Power A55 128GB SSD
  • Crucial MX500 500GB SSD
  • Toshiba MK2546GSX 250GB 2.5" hard drive
  • Western Digital WD6400BEVT 640GB 2.5" hard drive
Those are all the loose drives I happen to have laying around at the moment. Not sure if or when I'll be testing more, but as far as I can tell the TNP adapter cable is the generic (non-branded) version of the old Eluteng adapter cable. Since these things can change over time, compare the pictures in the first link to the picture of the old Eluteng in the second link, and if it looks different, it's not the same product I tested.

Hardware info from Raspbian.

Code: Select all

TNP USB 3.0 to SATA Adapter Cable

[email protected]:~ $ sudo lsusb -vs 1:7

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 174c:55aa ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1051E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1053E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1153 SATA 3Gb/s bridge
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.10
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0 
  bDeviceProtocol         0 
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x174c ASMedia Technology Inc.
  idProduct          0x55aa ASM1051E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1053E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1153 SATA 3Gb/s bridge
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           2 ASM1153USB3.0TOSATA
  iProduct                3 ASM1153USB3.0TOSATA
  iSerial                 1 123456789019
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           85
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0 
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower                0mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only
      iInterface              0 
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bLength                 7
        bDescriptorType         5
        bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
        bmAttributes            2
          Transfer Type            Bulk
          Synch Type               None
          Usage Type               Data
        wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
        bInterval               0
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
    Interface Descriptor:
      bAlternateSetting       1
      bNumEndpoints           4
      bInterfaceProtocol     98 
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        Data-in pipe (0x03)
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        Data-out pipe (0x04)
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        Status pipe (0x02)
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
        Command pipe (0x01)
Binary Object Store Descriptor:
  bLength                 5
  bDescriptorType        15
  wTotalLength           22
  bNumDeviceCaps          2
  USB 2.0 Extension Device Capability:
    bDescriptorType        16
    bDevCapabilityType      2
    bmAttributes   0x0000f41e
      Link Power Management (LPM) Supported
  SuperSpeed USB Device Capability:
    bLength                10
    bDevCapabilityType      3
    bmAttributes         0x00
    wSpeedsSupported   0x000e
      Device can operate at Full Speed (12Mbps)
      Device can operate at High Speed (480Mbps)
      Device can operate at SuperSpeed (5Gbps)
    bFunctionalitySupport   1
      Lowest fully-functional device speed is Full Speed (12Mbps)
    bU1DevExitLat          10 micro seconds
    bU2DevExitLat        2047 micro seconds
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered

Code: Select all

ELUTENG USB 3.0 to SATA Adapter Cable

[email protected]:~ $ sudo lsusb -vs 1:7

Bus 001 Device 007: ID 174c:55aa ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1051E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1053E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1153 SATA 3Gb/s bridge
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               2.10
  bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
  bDeviceSubClass         0 
  bDeviceProtocol         0 
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x174c ASMedia Technology Inc.
  idProduct          0x55aa ASM1051E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1053E SATA 6Gb/s bridge, ASM1153 SATA 3Gb/s bridge
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           2 ASM1153USB3.0TOSATA
  iProduct                3 ASM1153USB3.0TOSATA
  iSerial                 1 123456789019
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           85
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0 
    bmAttributes         0xc0
      Self Powered
    MaxPower                0mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only
      Endpoint Descriptor:
      Endpoint Descriptor:
    Interface Descriptor:
      bAlternateSetting       1
      bNumEndpoints           4
      bInterfaceProtocol     98 
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        Data-in pipe (0x03)
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        Data-out pipe (0x04)
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
        Status pipe (0x02)
      Endpoint Descriptor:
        bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
        Command pipe (0x01)
Binary Object Store Descriptor:
  bLength                 5
  bDescriptorType        15
  wTotalLength           22
  bNumDeviceCaps          2
  USB 2.0 Extension Device Capability:
    bDevCapabilityType      2
    bmAttributes   0x0000f41e
      Link Power Management (LPM) Supported
  SuperSpeed USB Device Capability:
    bLength                10
    bDevCapabilityType      3
    bmAttributes         0x00
    wSpeedsSupported   0x000e
      Device can operate at Full Speed (12Mbps)
      Device can operate at High Speed (480Mbps)
      Device can operate at SuperSpeed (5Gbps)
    bFunctionalitySupport   1
      Lowest fully-functional device speed is Full Speed (12Mbps)
    bU1DevExitLat          10 micro seconds
    bU2DevExitLat        2047 micro seconds
Device Status:     0x0001
  Self Powered

Return to “General discussion”