nathfreder

Is it possible to respond to a thread without bumping it?

Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:42 pm

Hey there,
I posted a few days ago and wanted to give an update to those who responded. I didn't want to bump it though because it seems like it is against the rules. Is there a solution in place for this?

DirkS

Re: Is it possible to respond to a thread without bumping it?

Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:59 pm

nathfreder wrote:
Hey there,
I posted a few days ago and wanted to give an update to those who responded. I didn't want to bump it though because it seems like it is against the rules.
I don't think that responding to others in a topic is considered bumping.
I would actually encourage it.

Heater

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:22 pm

I don't understand the question.

Surely if you have something useful/interesting to contribute it's best to have the thread you are responding to come to the top where people will see it? Else why bother?

Moderators do like to complain when one replies to a thread that has been dead for many years. So called "necro'ing". I have never understood why. If the original posters question is unanswered and still valid then so is a correct answer, even if it is years later. Maybe the original poster is long gone and will never notice, but the information may still be of use to someone googling the same issue.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

DavidS

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:50 pm

It is especially frustrating when one responds to a long dead thread with updated information and the mods complain. I feel it is better to bring the information up to date than let someone googling find the wrong out of date information, thus responding to very old threads is often a very good thing.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

mfa298

Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:25 pm

nathfreder wrote:
I posted a few days ago and wanted to give an update to those who responded. I didn't want to bump it though because it seems like it is against the rules. Is there a solution in place for this?
I don't think that would be considered bumping. Generally when forums talk about bumping they're meaning posts designed to push that thread to the top of the list without adding any useful information (these are often posts with just the word "bump" and often end up being posted a few hours after the first post). If you're providing an update then that's useful information (even if it's just to say the advice helped to fix the issue)
Heater wrote:
Moderators do like to complain when one replies to a thread that has been dead for many years. So called "necro'ing". I have never understood why.
I think that usually depends on the thread. Most cases I've seen of old threads being resurrected a new thread would have been better (i.e. where someone posts saying they have the same issue but the original post was about Wheezy and their running stretch).

The other thing I've seen a few times recently are replies to old threads with someone suggesting to google "thread title" or copy/pasting part of a previous reply. These are generally from new posters (probably to get around the early moderation and spam filters) such posts tend to get reported by someone and the offending post removed fairly quickly (I reported one such post yesterday).

k-pi

Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:43 pm

Technology changes quite quickly, so if a post is older than 6 months, a new thread, with a reference to the older thread is the normal way to go about it. :)

If replying to a topic you recently posted in, or asked, that is perfectly normal.

As has been said above, if you resurrect an ancient post, it is likely to confuse a new comer with old & new info, possible referring to different versions of software.

DavidS

Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:14 pm

k-pi wrote:
Technology changes quite quickly, so if a post is older than 6 months, a new thread, with a reference to the older thread is the normal way to go about it. :)

If replying to a topic you recently posted in, or asked, that is perfectly normal.

As has been said above, if you resurrect an ancient post, it is likely to confuse a new comer with old & new info, possible referring to different versions of software.
I would think it more likely to confuse a newcomer to find an old thread that describes something that no longer works, and noone bothered to post an update to.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Burngate

Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:43 pm

I was intrigued by this question, so I looked at your previous posts ... out of those five, was it the thread about SD cards?

I would have thought anything you have to say would be of value, so go ahead - say what you want.

Possibly "bumping" is frowned upon if it's a new user who expects instant answers to inane questions - it takes me, at least, an hour or so to compose a reply, and maybe another hour to decide whether what I was going to say could be useful enough to be worth posting.

k-pi

Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:03 pm

DavidS wrote:
I would think it more likely to confuse a newcomer to find an old thread that describes something that no longer works, and noone bothered to post an update to.
But that is the point, old threads have their old dates, new threads have newer dates, therefore if you are looking for info, you should be looking only at the recently posted info, & not look back through an older thread, which may well have outmoded info. :D

gordon77

Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:07 pm

k-pi wrote:
DavidS wrote:
But that is the point, old threads have their old dates, new threads have newer dates, therefore if you are looking for info, you should be looking only at the recently posted info, & not look back through an older thread, which may well have outmoded info. :D
Anyone worked out how to search on here by date?

Imperf3kt

Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:38 pm

gordon77 wrote:
k-pi wrote:
DavidS wrote:
Don't search by date, just look at the date the post was made - it's on every post. You don't even have to click on it to see.

Also, the forum search feature returns results based on time of last post, so the newer posts should be first.
I say should, because this forum uses duckduckgo for its searches, so doesn't adhere to normal forum search behaviour.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:03 pm

Heater wrote:
Moderators do like to complain when one replies to a thread that has been dead for many years. So called "necro'ing". I have never understood why. If the original posters question is unanswered and still valid then so is a correct answer, even if it is years later. Maybe the original poster is long gone and will never notice, but the information may still be of use to someone googling the same issue.
I don't. I opten deal with reports of Necro'ing, but where the reply is still valid. They get left alone. If I don't think the reply is useful or relvent, then I'll probably post something.

We do however get quite a few necro's by prospective spammers.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

gordon77

Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:21 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:38 pm
gordon77 wrote:
k-pi wrote:

Don't search by date, just look at the date the post was made - it's on every post. You don't even have to click on it to see.

Also, the forum search feature returns results based on time of last post, so the newer posts should be first.
I say should, because this forum uses duckduckgo for its searches, so doesn't adhere to normal forum search behaviour.
No date on these...
Attachments
IMG_20181123_211833.jpg
IMG_20181123_211833.jpg (26.13 KiB) Viewed 2052 times

HawaiianPi

Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:56 am

nathfreder wrote:
Hey there,
An update to your post is not bumping. Bumping is posting something irrelevant simply to return the post to the top, with nothing of any substance added (like posting a reply that says nothing more than "bump" or "help"). Or replying to a thread from far in the past with an answer that doesn't apply to the original question due to changes (which is called necro-posting).

You can also edit a previous post you made with new info, and that will not bump it.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Fidelius

Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:14 am

DavidS wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:50 pm
It is especially frustrating when one responds to a long dead thread with updated information and the mods complain. I feel it is better to bring the information up to date than let someone googling find the wrong out of date information, thus responding to very old threads is often a very good thing.
DavidS wrote:
Exactly. (2×)

jamesh wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:03 pm
I opten deal with reports of Necro'ing, but where the reply is still valid. They get left alone. If I don't think the reply is useful or relvent, then I'll probably post something.
Good approach, thank you.

hippy

Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:16 pm

nathfreder wrote:
I didn't want to bump it though because it seems like it is against the rules.
Bumping is only really frowned upon when it's the OP trying to elicit or hurry responses which have not so far been forthcoming, particularly when the OP hasn't allowed sufficient or reasonable time for responses to be given.

Adding additional and useful information, even reporting that a problem has been solved or that advice given was helpful, even to an older thread, is not usually inappropriate bumping.

DavidS

Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:28 pm

Yes I have noticed that the forum uses DuckDuckgo, which is a good search engine that I often use.

Though for some reason when attempting to access it from the forums it fails with a Java Script not enabled style message. It works great normally, just not from the forums.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:30 pm

DavidS wrote:
k-pi wrote:

That's why such old threads should be locked, and preferably have "[obsolete]" added to their subject.
Subjecting new naive users to obsolete info, as if the info is still completely valid, is about the worst thing you can do.
I'm pleading for the automatic locking of all threads older than say 18 months, and preferably marking them as obsolete, but its difficult to automate this task, it on the back-burner.

pfletch101

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:38 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:30 pm
That's why such old threads should be locked, and preferably have "[obsolete]" added to their subject.
Subjecting new naive users to obsolete info, as if the info is still completely valid, is about the worst thing you can do.
I'm pleading for the automatic locking of all threads older than say 18 months, and preferably marking them as obsolete, but its difficult to automate this task, it on the back-burner.
I can certainly see that trying to automate this from within the forum software would be extremely difficult, but has anyone thought about the possibility of running a procedure directly on the underlying database to do it. This might be easier (it might not, but it is worth considering). It might also be worth considering moving such threads to a separate read-only archival forum, which would have the additional benefit of reducing the size of the 'live' database and speeding searches, etc.

Return to “General discussion”