rasberry_user

Multiple touch screens in home automation, is it possible? [obsolete]

Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Hello all! I am new to rasberry and home automation. I have a question about multiple touch screens. I tried to find the topic in the forum but couldn't. I want to make a hom automation with multiple (best case 3 or 4) touch screens. On all of them I want to be able to access the system. (turn lights on and off, music an so on) It is still on planing phase. I just want to see if it is possible. So from a lot of reading the forum and youtube, it seems that it is difficult. I was thinking if it is not posible to use two or more displays in a system, maybe there could be one mqtt broker and a rasberry for every display, (the rasberry beeing a client). Or perhaps the system can use web server for control and the displays can log in and access application on the server... I am just spitbolling here. Does anyone have ideas? Or is it impossible. The system i have in mind may probably have arduinos for sensor control.
I appreciate any advice ! (also on a proper way of doing the system if I am missing something and you think you have a better idea :) )

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Multiple touch screens in home automation

Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:00 pm

Raspberry Pi for every display is the way to go. Much easier and much cheaper in time. Then have another Pi as the server.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Re: Multiple touch screens in home automation, is it posible?

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:25 pm

Question: how would you want to connect a display to a Raspberry which is 10 to 20m (or more) away?

As said, use one Pi per display.

oldjake

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:08 pm

I'm pretty much obsessed with home automation at the moment. I've done it a slightly different way though.

I have one Raspberry Pi 3B+ that sits in a cupboard connected directly to a router. That does all the grunt work. It hosts a Python based website that displays my dashboard that I can customise. It also sniffs for bluetooth to see who's at home to turn the heating on and off depending on who's home.

I've then used Android Studio to write a little webview app that I've sideloaded onto one Amazon Kindle Fire. This displays the current and target for the heating, buttons to set the heating temperature, little icons to show who's home and a security camera feed (running on a PI Zero at the front door). I've also had it turning lights on and off but have removed that at the moment to concentrate on getting the heating bit absolutely right. I've just re-written it all so that the Python script reads all the values of the heating, does the occupancy detection and stores it all in a database. The front end then just reads from the database to display the results. This way, everything is stored in one place. More touchscreens mean that they will just need to read from the existing database rather than introducing another device that will need to sync with all the others.

It's all working quite nicely at the moment. Bear in mind, I started this with zero Python knowledge and little HTML and CSS knowledge. It's now a nice looking Bootstrap responsive website/webview app that I'm adding more to as I learn what I need to do.

I'd be happy to answer questions if you want to know more.

(Just to add, the Kindle Fire is a really cheap tablet - I think I paid £30 in an Amazon sale day - probably cheaper than you can build a Pi for. I know a lot of the pleasure is building what you want but I think you'd be better spending your time on the home automation bits and just use a cheap tablet to do the bit that's not actually that interesting)

xevilstar1

Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:54 pm

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

export PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin"

sleep 4 

d=1 
for i in `xinput|grep USB2IIC|awk '{gsub(/id=/,"");print $5}'|sort -r`
do 
	d=$((d++)) 
	echo "xinput map-to-output ${i} HDMI-${d}"
done

Return to “General discussion”