oscargalan
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:06 am

Some fast questions about raspberry pi

Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi friends.

I have decided to buy a raspberry pi mini PC but I have some questions about this product:

1. Has a power button?
2. Has bluetooth?
3. Has wake on lan?
4. works with Google Chrome?


Thanks for yours answers.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 26828
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Some fast questions about raspberry pi

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:10 pm

Since Google/insert search engine of your choice must be broken in your region....

No, yes (depends on model), no, yes.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Andyroo

Re: Some fast questions about raspberry pi

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:12 pm

4 is a yes technically - you have a fork called Chromium but everywhere I go sees it as Chrome :lol:

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 23832
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Some fast questions about raspberry pi

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:48 pm

oscargalan wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:49 pm
Hi friends.

I have decided to buy a raspberry pi mini PC but I have some questions about this product:

1. Has a power button?
2. Has bluetooth?
3. Has wake on lan?
4. works with Google Chrome?


Thanks for yours answers.

4) Google has not ported their browser to Linux ARMHF. Though the supported Raspbian Stretch with Desktop Linux Distro includes chromium-browser version 65...
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

lewmur
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:20 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Some fast questions about raspberry pi

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:24 pm

If I'm not mistaken, even though the Pi has a 64bit SoC, its OS is only 32bit. And Chrome has stopped supporting 32bit. But, as others have stated, there isn't much difference between Chrome and Chromium. Chromium will still sync with all of your Chrome settings and saved passwords.

User avatar
Fidelius
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:40 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Some fast questions about raspberry pi

Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:00 pm

oscargalan wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:49 pm
1. Has a power button?
I miss such a power button on the Pi.
However amongst the USB power supplies working well with the Pi, there's a few with a power-button in the USB cable (to the Pi).

Such a power supply is only few pennies more expensive but this way you practically get a power button for your Pi. :-)

User avatar
Fidelius
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:40 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Some fast questions about raspberry pi

Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:04 pm

Talking about Chromium: why is this browser so much faster on the Pi compared to Firefox v52 pre-Quantum on the Pi?

Do we already know when Firefox Quantum will come to Raspbian's repository?

(I am asking because Firefox Quantum is noticeably faster than pre-Quantum.)

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 12955
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Some fast questions about raspberry pi

Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:14 pm

lewmur wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:24 pm
If I'm not mistaken, even though the Pi has a 64bit SoC, its OS is only 32bit. And Chrome has stopped supporting 32bit. But, as others have stated, there isn't much difference between Chrome and Chromium. Chromium will still sync with all of your Chrome settings and saved passwords.
Raspbian is a 32-bit OS, as are several others that run on various Pis. There are some 64-bit OSes for Pis out there, though.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 23832
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Some fast questions about raspberry pi

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:36 pm

lewmur wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:24 pm
If I'm not mistaken, even though the Pi has a 64bit SoC, its OS is only 32bit. And Chrome has stopped supporting 32bit. But, as others have stated, there isn't much difference between Chrome and Chromium. Chromium will still sync with all of your Chrome settings and saved passwords.

Google Chrome is only offered for Android OS and as a component of ChromeOS running on ARM Architecture ( nothing to do with Linux x86 32/64bit ), it was never officially offered for ARMHF Linux Distros...
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 39551
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Some fast questions about raspberry pi

Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:54 pm

Fidelius wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:00 pm
oscargalan wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:49 pm
1. Has a power button?
I miss such a power button on the Pi.
However amongst the USB power supplies working well with the Pi, there's a few with a power-button in the USB cable (to the Pi).

Such a power supply is only few pennies more expensive but this way you practically get a power button for your Pi. :-)
Move to the UK where our BS 1363 wall sockets have switches for mains safety reasons. Every one of my Raspberries has a power switch with no additional hardware.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

andrum99
Posts: 1255
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Re: Some fast questions about raspberry pi

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:24 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:54 pm
Fidelius wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:00 pm
oscargalan wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:49 pm
1. Has a power button?
I miss such a power button on the Pi.
However amongst the USB power supplies working well with the Pi, there's a few with a power-button in the USB cable (to the Pi).

Such a power supply is only few pennies more expensive but this way you practically get a power button for your Pi. :-)
Move to the UK where our BS 1363 wall sockets have switches for mains safety reasons. Every one of my Raspberries has a power switch with no additional hardware.
Most of them do. My parents house, built in 1975, still has some of its original power sockets and they are sans-power switches. Most of the sockets have since been replaced for various reasons, the replacements all being switched.

Heater
Posts: 16296
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Some fast questions about raspberry pi

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:33 pm

How is that possible?

I don't recall living in a house in England without switches on it's sockets.

My parents house was built in 1867 !

Anyway, why would one ever want to switch a Pi off?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

drgeoff
Posts: 10924
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Some fast questions about raspberry pi

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:33 pm

lewmur wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:24 pm
If I'm not mistaken, even though the Pi has a 64bit SoC,..
Not all models of RPi have 64 bit CPU(s). Those using the BCM2835, eg the Zeros, are 32 bit.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 23832
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Some fast questions about raspberry pi

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:38 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:33 pm
lewmur wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:24 pm
If I'm not mistaken, even though the Pi has a 64bit SoC,..
Not all models of RPi have 64 bit CPU(s). Those using the BCM2835, eg the Zeros, are 32 bit.

Lemur in his post is confusing x86 32bit with ARM 32bit as I stated in my reply above, so the post was just "noise"
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 5131
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK
Contact: Website

Re: Some fast questions about raspberry pi

Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:57 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:54 pm
Move to the UK where our BS 1363 wall sockets have switches for mains safety reasons.
There is no safety requirement for UK sockets to be switched (BS7671 Wiring Regs).
However unswitched sockets are not suitable for emergency switching (OK for isolation and functional switching).

Single unswitched sockets are commonly used to connect devices below kitchen worksurfaces, where there is a switch (commonly fused) above the work surface. Since unswitched sockets are more expensive than switched ones, this is declining.
Location: 345th cell on the right of the 210th row of L2 cache


Return to “General discussion”