WillBoxOwO

Change username on the forums?

Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:39 pm

Hello.

I would like to change my username on this wonderful forum, but I cant seem to find any options concerning it.
Any tips?
I like cats

klricks

Re: Change username on the forums?

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:02 am

WillBoxOwO wrote:
Hello.

I would like to change my username on this wonderful forum, but I cant seem to find any options concerning it.
Any tips?
You might want to click the [!] report button on your post so that a moderator will see it.
If I remember right from similar requests, the general advice is to stop using the old account and create a new account.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:14 am

there is no option to change username.

ejolson

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:40 am

klricks wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:02 am
WillBoxOwO wrote:
Hello.

Any tips?
You might want to click the [!] report button on your post so that a moderator will see it.
If I remember right from similar requests, the general advice is to stop using the old account and create a new account.
A single user who has multiple accounts may be identified as a troll (especially if they start having conversations with themselves). Is there an official way to close an old account when opening a new?

WillBoxOwO

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Can an admin change it it for me? Id totally understand if they told me something like "we cant because its too much work since everyone will ask us etc etc" but still it would be a nice thing to have. My ig changed 2 months ago, lol. I dont want to delete this account since my previous posts helped 2-3 people out.

Thanks again :)
I like cats

joan

Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:29 pm

I'm fairly sure at least one user has changed their user name. When you look through his posts they appear with references to the old name (in the post text of responders) in posts before the point of change.

WillBoxOwO

Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:39 pm

joan wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:29 pm
I'm fairly sure at least one user has changed their user name. When you look through his posts they appear with references to the old name (in the post text of responders) in posts before the point of change.
Ohh yeah, I saw that kind of stuff happening when searching old posts about Quake 3 on Raspbian. Great find, lol.
I like cats

Heater

Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:44 pm

WillBoxOwO,
My ig changed 2 months ago...
Help an old man here. What is your "ig"? And what has it got to do with your user name on this forum?
I dont want to delete this account since my previous posts helped 2-3 people out.
Hardly seems worth worrying about.

No one said you have to delete anything, just open a new account with whatever name you like and forget the old one.

Burngate

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:57 am

Heater wrote:
WillBoxOwO,
Help an old man here. What is your "ig"? And what has it got to do with your user name on this forum?
I translated that to ID. Maybe I'm wrong.

If you do go down that route, perhaps a post in the "Introduce Yourself" thread, explaining things and with a pointer to your old self.

Heater

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:00 pm

I tried reading it as "ID" but cannot make it work.

Cannot be the ID here as that is the thing that is requested to be changed.

Could be an ID somewhere else. Hence my question which amounts to "Where and so what?".

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:11 pm

again, there is no way you can change your identity (username) here.
I can ban you, but there is no difference from simply stopping to use that username, except that you can never start using it again.
you can simply start with a new user, but there will be no way to "take over" your old identity, except for the old idea of "call me nobody from now on".

Also I see no good reason why you should want to change your identity... and no, "i just want to" is not good enough! :roll:

n67

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:22 pm

The problem is that, like it or not, we are moving into an age where people have that right.

Once the governments of the world start recognizing the online world as a legitimate extension of the physical world - that is, not just our (and by "our", I mean us hacker types) little playground - then people have the right to remove themselves and not leave traces behind.

I think this was all discussed on this forum at length some time back.

I realize that this is going to necessitate pretty significant software changes (*) - that is, after we've achieved the change in mindset that will drive those software changes.

(*) Across the board - I'm not just talking about forum software here.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

ejolson

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:27 pm

mahjongg wrote:
I can ban you, but there is no difference from simply stopping to use that username, except that you can never start using it again.
you can simply start with a new user, but there will be no way to "take over" your old identity, except for the old idea of "call me nobody from now on".

Also I see no good reason why you should want to change your identity... and no, "i just want to" is not good enough! :roll:
If the moderators would allow this, you could create a new account and then change the signature in your present account from

I like cats.

to

I used to like cats. My new user ID on this forum is blah blah blah.

Similarly, the signature on your new account could say

By moderator approval this is my new account. My old user ID was WillBoxOwO, but now I like dogs.

Since personal messages have been disabled for some time, there is not much difficulty having to check such messages that might be sent to your old account.
Last edited by ejolson on Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fruitoftheloom

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:29 pm

adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

DougieLawson

Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:46 pm

mahjongg wrote:
I'd put a pound to a penny that's not true.

The moderators can't do it, but I'm willing to bet that the more privileged admin users can make it so.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

n67

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:16 pm

Yup - that's the one.

Note that FotL is normally on my "ignore" list, but this post was worth commenting upon.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

WillBoxOwO

Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:40 pm

Heater wrote:
I meant ig name.
It means "In-Game name". Sorry for the confusion.
EDIT: I just tought it would be cool to switch usernames everywhere- having multiple names kind of frightens me I guess
Heater wrote:
No one said you have to delete anything, just open a new account with whatever name you like and forget the old one.
You're right. When ill be done discussing my laptop thread, ill switch accounts.
mahjongg wrote:
Ok, I can live with that :lol: thanks anyways.
*vanishes*
ejolson wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:27 pm
I used to like cats. My new user ID on this forum is blah blah blah.
Ill take note of that signature. I like it a lot. 8-)
I like cats

Heater

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:38 pm

It's funny how people think about this WEB thing.

My idea was that I would never use my real name on anything I signed up for. Better still if I use a different user name on every forum and such like. Nothing I'm talking about in most places requires the reader to know who I am or anything about me. All that matters is that perhaps, possibly, maybe I have something helpful or interesting to say. I'm not into fame and glory and the harder it is for any potential bad actors to tack me around the better.

So I really wonder why anyone would worry that their "in game ID" is different from any other random chat forum. What does it matter?

Andyroo

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:59 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:46 pm
mahjongg wrote:
I'd put a pound to a penny that's not true.

The moderators can't do it, but I'm willing to bet that the more privileged admin users can make it so.
Normally within phpBB it’s a database table update OUTSIDE the maint functions and then you have to clear all the cache (i.e. downtime post backup is best) unless they have added the ability since my last dabble (and I do not know the version this board is running - and not fussed).

The right to be forgotten is exactly that - it’s a delete not correction and GDPR only allows for correction of inaccurate data and no way would a nickname selected by the user be covered by this.

Mods call - do they want to update the database or just confirm this ain’t going to happen and lock this thread?
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:14 pm

changing your users ID (nickname) to another has noting to do with any "right to be forgotten", and if we ever are forced to implement "the right to be forgotten", it will simply mean that a forum manager (NOT a moderator mind you) upon request (a carefully checked request, because we don't want any complaints afterwards) gets the ability to wipe all posts from a user from the database. AFAIK this has never happened up-to now. and I don't know if its even possible.

for now, a moderator can only delete posts manually one by one, and we actually (and reluctantly because it can be a lot of work) only do that when the posts are changed into spam by a spammer that managed to get in some posts, then post edit them by inserting spam URL's.

We don't like to delete random posts in a thread because we don't want to damage valid threads, which invariable happens, because users invariably reply even to fake spammers posts. note that spammers are only interested in finding ways to insert spam posts with a minimum of effort on their part, so their posts won't have much actual content. that is why we try to give spammers no way in, or if they slip through, delete their posts before regular posters can reply.

now by popular request i'm locking this thread.... :P :?

Return to “General discussion”