NewtownGal

stretch Reboot and shutdown command syntax has changed!

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:15 pm

The OS guys changed the bloody command syntax !!! Look at the shutdown command syntax for Wheezy. Compare it to Stretch. Wheezy uses -t 10 to give shutdown in 10 ** seconds **. Stretch no longer has -t, sees the 10, and shuts down in 10 ** minutes ** !!! And that's not the only bloody command whose syntax the OS guys changed !!! If they want to add a new function, fine, with a new control character so it does not conflict, but don't drop or change stuff !!!

DirkS

Re: PiZeroW - Reboot and shutdown no longer work

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:20 pm

NewtownGal wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:15 pm
And that's not the only bloody command whose syntax the OS guys changed !!! If they want to add a new function, fine, with a new control character so it does not conflict, but don't drop or change stuff !!!
Then go and tell the 'OS guys'. You will not find them on this forum...

NewtownGal

Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:01 pm

My point is that the shutdown command stopped working, on a Pi Zero no less, which is the crux of this posting.

Ernst

Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:20 pm

NewtownGal wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:01 pm
My point is that the shutdown command stopped working, on a Pi Zero no less, which is the crux of this posting.
It works for me on a Pi Zero:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ Scripts/rpi-info

Raspberry Pi Zero [512MB] / PCB v1.3 (2016 Q2 / Sony)

CPU - Temp: 38.470 C / Clock: 700.000 MHz
RAM - Arm: 496 M / Gpu: 16 M
Load: 1.23 0.39 0.14

Raspbian GNU/Linux 9.4 (stretch)

[email protected]:~ $ uname -a
Linux raspi5 4.14.34+ #1110 Mon Apr 16 14:51:42 BST 2018 armv6l GNU/Linux
[email protected]:~ $ sudo shutdown
Shutdown scheduled for Sat 2018-10-20 20:16:48 CEST, use 'shutdown -c' to cancel.
[email protected]:~ $
My first computer was an ICT1500, my first "personal" computer was the Science of Cambridge Mk14, followed by a TRS-80 Model I later

pcmanbob

Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:51 pm

Well shutdown or reboot still works for me on both my pi zero W and all the other pi's I have.

I don't see why it should suddenly stop working for just one model of pi, and as I said before if it were a change to the OS then I would expect to see hundreds of posts saying peoples pi's would no longer shutdown or reboot, as it would affect everyone .

regarding the change to the time function it actually changed in raspbian Jessie .

The time string may either be in the format "hh:mm" for hour/minutes
specifying the time to execute the shutdown at, specified in 24h clock
format. Alternatively it may be in the syntax "+m" referring to the
specified number of minutes m from now. "now" is an alias for "+0",
i.e. for triggering an immediate shutdown. If no time argument is
specified, "+1" is implied.
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

DarkPlatinum

Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:59 pm

I had a similar problem, i had done a rpi-upgrade and shutdown gave kernel panic. I had to revert to a previous stable kernel and everything worked again.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

NewtownGal

Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:49 pm

How do I use an older version of the shutdown command ? I ** need ** a shutdown that starts in 10 seconds, so the current spec for X-number of minutes, or at a time at hours:minutes -- no seconds -- does not work for me. But the real issue is, why have commands changed ? It breaks stuff. How many systems are now broken because commands have changed ? Is there a listing of all such changes so I don't have to discover them ???

Ernst

Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:59 pm

NewtownGal wrote:
How do I use an older version of the shutdown command ? I ** need ** a shutdown that starts in 10 seconds, so the current spec for X-number of minutes, or at a time at hours:minutes -- no seconds -- does not work for me. But the real issue is, why have commands changed ? It breaks stuff. How many systems are now broken because commands have changed ? Is there a listing of all such changes so I don't have to discover them ???

sleep 10;shutdown now
My first computer was an ICT1500, my first "personal" computer was the Science of Cambridge Mk14, followed by a TRS-80 Model I later

pcmanbob

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:07 pm

First I don't think you can go back to using seconds for the time, because the option has been changed in the OS .
Though you might try using 0.X as your time which would give you less than a minute, but I have not tested this so not sure if it will work.

I guess if you want to know why the time option has change then you need to go talk to the OS maintainers which as dirks said are not on here, they may also be able to point you to a list of changes for each OS.

DarkPlatinum

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:10 pm

NewtownGal wrote:
Im pretty sure they changed the commands for a reason. Its like saying why have electric trains been invented? Because they were more efficient then coal/steam trains.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Ernst

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:16 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
First I don't think you can go back to using seconds for the time, because the option has been changed in the OS .
I am not sure that that is the problem. It might be a misunderstanding or a real need, if real then it would be helpful if the OP tries to explain why instead of complaining (a word starting with b ending with ing removed).

http://www.skrenta.com/rt/man/shutdown.8.html

-t sec Tell init(8) to wait sec  seconds  between  sending
              processes  the  warning and the kill signal, before
              changing to another runlevel.

pcmanbob

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Ernst wrote:
pcmanbob wrote:
I am not sure that that is the problem. It might be a misunderstanding or a real need, if real then it would be helpful if the OP tries to explain why instead of complaining (a word starting with b ending with ing removed).

might be out of date Nov 26, 1997 !! from last line of the link you posted., the quote from the manual page I posted was from an actual pi running Jessie

Ernst

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:56 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:52 pm
Ernst wrote:
pcmanbob wrote:

might be out of date Nov 26, 1997 !! from last line of the link you posted., the quote from the manual page I posted was from an actual pi running Jessie
It might help to read the first message in this subthread !
NewtownGal wrote: The OS guys changed the bloody command syntax !!! Look at the shutdown command syntax for Wheezy. Compare it to Stretch. Wheezy uses -t 10 to give shutdown in 10 ** seconds **. Stretch no longer has -t, sees the 10, and shuts down in 10 ** minutes ** !!! And that's not the only bloody command whose syntax the OS guys changed !!! If they want to add a new function, fine, with a new control character so it does not conflict, but don't drop or change stuff !!!

pcmanbob

Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:08 pm

not sure what you are getting at ,

Post by NewtownGal » 20 Oct 2018, 16:15
The OS guys changed the bloody command syntax !!! Look at the shutdown command syntax for Wheezy. Compare it to Stretch. Wheezy uses -t 10 to give shutdown in 10 ** seconds **. Stretch no longer has -t, sees the 10, and shuts down in 10 ** minutes ** !!! And that's not the only bloody command whose syntax the OS guys changed !!! If they want to add a new function, fine, with a new control character so it does not conflict, but don't drop or change stuff !!!
I stated the change form time in seconds to time in minutes actually took place in Jessie which is why I posted the extract from the shutdown man in Jessie and is actually the same in stretch because it has not changed since Jessie

Ernst

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:49 am

pcmanbob wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:08 pm
not sure what you are getting at ,

Post by NewtownGal » 20 Oct 2018, 16:15
I stated the change form time in seconds to time in minutes actually took place in Jessie which is why I posted the extract from the shutdown man in Jessie and is actually the same in stretch because it has not changed since Jessie
Can you please post an extract of from the shutdown man in Wheezy ?

Btw. fyi: NewtownGal hijacked this thread and I can not find the post you mention above.

rpdom

Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:05 am

Ernst wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:49 am
Can you please post an extract of from the shutdown man in Wheezy ?
The manpage is the same in Wheezy as it is in Jessie (I have systems running both for testing purposes).

-t sec Tell init(8) to wait sec seconds between sending processes the warning and the kill
              signal, before changing to another runlevel.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: wheezy Reboot and shutdown command syntax has changed!

Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:55 pm

split off from original unrelated topic.

original topic is here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=200872

this thread is now locked, but continues here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=225219

Return to “General discussion”