HungryPanda

Re: RS & Allied Update #5 (9th Nov)

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:17 am

Sounds good larstas, I hope we all get the revision 2 board after such a long wait.

fasterTTW

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:17 am

Is there anyway to track these orders once they shipped?

I received my shipping confirmation just under a month ago and no sign of it yet, solidly past the 21 day mark stated in the email.

sdjf

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:46 am

fasterTTW wrote:
I received my shipping confirmation just under a month ago and no sign of it yet, solidly past the 21 day mark stated in the email.
Just under a month ago is around 21 working days, not solidly longer, if they count days being only Monday through Friday.

Where are they shipping to?
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

Vic@RS

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi All
thank you for your feedback regarding delivery times. We have passed your comments on to customer services. They have advised us that if you do not receive your package within the 21 days, please email raspberrypi@rswww.com with your order reference number and they will be able to investigate the location of your package.
Regards
Vic

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:51 pm

Lob0426 wrote:
Vic@RS wrote:Thank you for your replies. We can confirm that we are no longer shipping Version 1.0 boards for new orders.
Orders of Version 1.0 boards which were unable to be delivered will be re-sent as Version 1.0 boards.
If for any reason a Version 1.0 board has been returned due to a fault, again we will replace with a Version 1.0 model.
All other orders will receive a Version 2.0 board.
Thank you for your continued patience.
Regards
Vic
So those of you that waited more than 16 weeks to get a RasPi are just out of luck! Thank you for your patience!
OK, you have made your point (multiple times). Think it's time to drop it now, don't you?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Jako

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:28 pm

larstas wrote:The same about emails from RS - one confirmation, one delay message and... Today got:
Dear Raspberry Pi customer,
Thank you for your continued patience in waiting for your Raspberry Pi order. By way of an extra thank you, we’re pleased to let you know that your order for a 256MB Raspberry Pi Model B board will be upgraded to a 512MB revision 2 version of Raspberry Pi.
Order placed on July, 4th. 1010149xxx - expected dispatch is this week.
So don't worry about absense of any emails except for the confirmation email with order number. You'd be worried if you didn't get it.
My first pi was arrived around may from RS, fine for a brand new thing. Happy with the item i tried to purchase another on the same store, big mistake... i paid on 4th July too and my purchase range are the same that yours (1010149xxx). Many months between that... i forgot that purchase (i believe that it was lost), from my point of view this service are a shame, i lost the hope of receive that before xmas thinking about how this company works.

I have on my inbox the same mail from RS, and this only smell like to another delay. We have to be realistic, that company never get the stimated dates (you only have to read all the forum about that) and i don't know on what paralell world they live or their experience, but near xmas the mail companies become a chaos, if i don't live on the uk i can forget to receive my pi until 2013.

5 months ~ (with luck) + more delay + royal mail + correos (lazy spanish company) =
Maybe
a 512Mb RAM Pi sometime in 2013.

It's a logical conclusion after all...

And no, i'm not happy recieving a new pi with 512 of ram, is better to get what i paid soon and enjoy it.

*Semi-Offtopic: I'm not agree with the 512 upgrade too in general, This is the way that the fundation are gratefull with the people who believe in the raspberry from the begining? It kills the spirit of many people making awesome things with the same hardware, i make the recomendation of that item to many friends, familiars... and now they feel cheated with the delay/mess from RS and now the upgrade . They lost the interest on the raspberry now. Maybe RS will send me a 512mb model (i can't believe them) that a have paid and forgotten, but, the rest of the people who bought soon a pi?
:cry:
Sorry, my english is awful, like me. XD

snuggles0010

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:02 pm

I got mine in October a few days before my birthday and it was a revision 2 so I would think the rest would be revision 2.

Joe. 10

Vic@RS

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:40 pm

Thank you everybody for your feedback. We are doing all we can to ensure that we meet our shipping schedule and you have you Raspberry Pi's as soon as possible. We can confirm that all deliveries will now contain a version 2.0 board.
Kind Regards
Vic

HungryPanda

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks for confirming that Vic

jamesh

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:04 pm

Jako wrote:*Semi-Offtopic: I'm not agree with the 512 upgrade too in general, This is the way that the fundation are gratefull with the people who believe in the raspberry from the begining? It kills the spirit of many people making awesome things with the same hardware, i make the recomendation of that item to many friends, familiars... and now they feel cheated with the delay/mess from RS and now the upgrade . They lost the interest on the raspberry now. Maybe RS will send me a 512mb model (i can't believe them) that a have paid and forgotten, but, the rest of the people who bought soon a pi?
:cry:
There was never going to be a good time to move to 512. It had to be done at some point, 512's dropped in price considerable, and eventually were going to drop below 256 prices, so we took the hit sooner rather than later. It was hoped that the supply chain was completely empty of 256 by the time of the announcement, but somehow that wasn't the case. I don't know why. I believe only RS still had 256's backed up.

As to 'same hardware', with Linux there isn't much of a difference software wise - same stuff still runs on both devices, it's just on the 256 you will start to swap earlier.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

sdjf

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:50 pm

Vic@RS wrote:We can confirm that all deliveries will now contain a version 2.0 board.
Please, the information available is very confusing. Customers calling Allied in the US were told that people who ordered before 15 October from the Allied US site would be getting revision 1 boards, and only people who placed orders on or after October 15 from the Allied US site, would be getting revision 2 boards with 512MB.

So, that is why I ask whether Vic's confirmation is only for orders placed on the RS UK site, or also apply, as the thread title would imply and as could be imputed from the fact (as I understand it) that Allied is a RS subsidiary, that this confirmation also applied to orders placed on the Allied site in the US.

Please clarify for those of us in the queue for Allied USA site orders.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

Lob0426

Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:57 pm

sdjf wrote:
Vic@RS wrote:We can confirm that all deliveries will now contain a version 2.0 board.
Please, the information available is very confusing. Customers calling Allied in the US were told that people who ordered before 15 October from the Allied US site would be getting revision 1 boards, and only people who placed orders on or after October 15 from the Allied US site, would be getting revision 2 boards with 512MB.

So, that is why I ask whether Vic's confirmation is only for orders placed on the RS UK site, or also apply, as the thread title would imply and as could be imputed from the fact (as I understand it) that Allied is a RS subsidiary, that this confirmation also applied to orders placed on the Allied site in the US.

Please clarify for those of us in the queue for Allied USA site orders.
I was told by Allied that any boards shipped before Oct 15 would be ver. 1.0's and any after Oct 15 would be the newer boards. But people are still receiving the 1.0's so that is where one point of confusion is for me.

I do not understand why if there were so many 1.0's available why the backlog was not filled, at least partially at an earlier date. Some of them obviously came off the line as production restarted. Mine was not one of those boards, it look like earlier production. And if it was, why not at least bring it up to ver. 1.1?

Way to many questions, with very few answers in my opinion!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

sdjf

Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Lob0426 wrote:

I was told by Allied that any boards shipped before Oct 15 would be ver. 1.0's and any after Oct 15 would be the newer boards. But people are still receiving the 1.0's so that is where one point of confusion is for me.
@Lob0426: I have been watching for reports from recent shipments received by Allied US customers, and there do not seem to be any. The last I saw, if I recall correctly, were boards shipped before Oct 15 that took a long time in shipment as they were outside the USA.

Can you cite any posts clearly backing up your assertion that Allied US has actually shipped any version 1 boards after 15 Oct to anyone not receiving a prior shipment? Maybe I missed a post, but it seems Allied US site customers have not been reporting what they have received recently for us to know for sure.
I am just trying to figure out reality, and to me it is not at all clear from the little solid evidence we do have.

inabeyance

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:36 am

jamesh wrote:
Lob0426 wrote:
So those of you that waited more than 16 weeks to get a RasPi are just out of luck! Thank you for your patience!
OK, you have made your point (multiple times). Think it's time to drop it now, don't you?
While I can see your issue with Lob0426keeping on this, you have to admit, he does have a point. RS screwed the pooch royally! They have totally shafted the customers who stuck by them all this time, while others who ordered well after them got their Pi, and got the incremental upgrades as they were rolled out. RS has delivered ver 1.0 to all thoes people who waited such a long time.... a version superseded a few times over at this point!

My RS experience is very much along the lines of wheat Lob0426is complaining about.
  • 19/04/2012 Registered my interest in Raspberry Pi’s Model B board from RS Components.
    27/06/2012 Raspberry Pi ordered and paid for at RS. Order number 1010113XXX
    11/10/2012 Email notification that Raspberry Pi order has been despatched on this day.
    02/11/2012 Raspberry Pi version 1.0 from RS finally arrived
I emailed RS to enquire as to what model I was to get on the 16/10/2012 only to be told it would be a ver 1.0. I did hold some hope as my Pi was shipped on the same day VIC@RS made his update post about the ver 2.0 for all orders after the 15/10/2012. But sadly the reply came that I would get a ver 1.0 after all this time waiting :(

I hung on until the end only to get a version 1.0. Sure this is what I originally ordered. But as I have been following the community and the progress of the Raspberry Pi over this long time, I have been watching the updates/bug fixes as they have been implemented, and I did not expect a superseded model to be shipped! As Lob0426 stated, they should have at least updated it to ver 1.1!
  • 29/10/2012 Placed an order for a ver 2.0 512MB Raspberry Pi from Element14 Australia
    30/10/2012 Raspberry Pi from Element14 Australia ver 2.0 512MB Delivered...less than 20 hours from Sydney to Perth!
A totally different experience! Sure Element 14 would not have had ver 2.0 back when I placed my order. But to think that I could well have been using my Pi all these months if I had just ordered from Element14 instead of RS......makes me sad :(

Finally a direct question to VIC@RS:

For those returning their ver 1.0 Raspberry Pi for a refund. Will there be a restocking fee?

I ask this because despite numerous emails asking this question, I have not had it answered, I just keep getting cut and paste standard replies stating "The only difference between the boards is an added audio codec and the inclusion of mounting holes should the Pi be required for industrial applications."

Something to consider:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisp ... conditions
RS executes orders to the Customer's requirements, and does not substitute one product for another unless requested by the Customer, or unless the product has been superseded by the latest version.

Surely the ver 1.0 has now been superceded!

sdjf

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:25 am

Hi, note that jamesh is a mod who was commenting on Lob0426's post, so your comments are about the latter, not the former.

I read the quote you posted - and, in the context of their terms and conditions, it looks to me like they are saying they will ship what you ordered and not make pre-shipment substitutions unless you request them. After you receive the goods, that is a different story. But it is lame that they are not replying to your emails.

Surely others have returned Rev 1 boards right after receipt, and if restocking fees were being charged, I would guess we would be seeing people complaining about that, but maybe not.

inabeyance

Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:03 am

sdjf wrote:Hi, note that jamesh is a mod who was commenting on Lob0426's post, so your comments are about the latter, not the former.
Cheers for clarification. I had actually realised that I made the wrong reference, and had already PM'ed jamesh to get the post edited, as there seems to be no way for me to do it myself. I am sorry to all, jamesh and Lob0426 in particular, for the confusion.

svennd

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:18 am

To new buyers; If you are inpatient, go look at other vendors (Farnell) or 3th party vendors (they have stock & deliver in days). If you have time to wait, RS might be a slow option.

I ordered not so long ago (1m), but I find it very annoying that I have to look up how long the delays are gone be, you have the e-mail address of every buyer, write a script to send e-mails telling them the estimated delivery date ... (and updates) Fact that customers don't hear from you for months, is sad. This update : +2 weeks delay. Nothing more I need to know.

A colleague ordered in a UK shop with stock for a few euro's more, he ordered Tuesday, got it on Friday...

jamesh

Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:25 am

I have replaced the references to jamesh to Lob0426 in the above posts, as requested, in case the following posts now make no sense whatsoever!

Vic@RS

Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:35 pm

Hi All,
Firstly, regarding the version 1.0 and 2.0 boards queries, we are now only shipping version 2.0 boards for both RS and Allied customers.
In terms of the returns policy and the charges, we are awaiting confirmation on this point and will get back to you all via this forum either this afternoon or tomorrow.
We can only apologise to those of you who feel we have not communicated as you would expect us to. We are continuing to work with customer services to reduce response times as much as possible.
Vic

jlreeves

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:18 pm

My Raspberry Pi order number 10101407XX has finally been dispatched. They say it could take three weeks to get here. Farnell/Element 14/Newark took less than 6 weeks total from purchase to doorstep as opposed to RS's 21 weeks. I know who I will buy from in the future.
Mine was upgraded to 512 mb

sdjf

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:18 pm

@vic: thank you very much for the clarification. I am sure you were doing your best to be clear, that was obvious to me from your post. I figured I just needed to clarify my question, so you would see why I was confused so you would be able to explain in clearer terms.

Vic@RS

Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:48 pm

We are continually trying to ensure that we are clear to all our customers as to when they will recieve their orders and of which board.
Kind Regards
Vic

nubie

Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:23 pm

I had a 143xxx order number, I got an email stating it shipped today.

As far as the long time, I was aware when I ordered, it was unfortunate that they added another 9 weeks.

In the US I am not sure if you could get them any cheaper, I think I paid $43. The other companies were over $50 shipped I think. At $40 you can pick up a local used brand name Athlon 64 PC with 1GB of memory, so the only reason for the Raspberry Pi was the power saving and putting it in a portable enclosure, like a handheld PC.

Ideally when the $25 model is released we will be able to get them shipped in a padded mailer for under $30, possibly even from the US. A portable should have a USB Wifi, so the LAN won't be missed.

So excited, but I guess I won't see it for a while.

hazeline

Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:12 pm

There seems no one asking for order status update from Allied Electronics. I ordered my Raspberry PI on July 20. The order # is 250023xxxx. It's been almost 4 months and no any update from vendor. I almost forgot this order. When I went to Allied website to check the status, I couldn't even find my order info by entering order #. This is ridiculous! I cannot even cancel my old order!

Can anyone please provide some update and insight of what Allied is doing?
Thx!

sdjf

Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:25 am

If you read the posts in this thread by both mike and vic from RS, the parent company, you will learn stuff.

Here is a link from another thread about situation:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 12#p215212

I am in the same boat as you, I ordered three days later, but I think we will see our Pis soon.

Return to “General discussion”