alextovey

8 channel CCTV with Pi 3 B

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:45 am

Hi,

Is it possible to create a board or have the Pi run as a CCTv with 8 outdoor cameras on it? We are looking to upgrade our home cctv. However the cost of units are stupid and I have a spare Pi which i want to turn into a CCTV system instead.

(the other one is running a car headunit and diagnostics unit. :) )

Any help would be great please.

scotty101

Re: 8 channel CCTV with Pi 3 B

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:10 am

What type of cameras do you have? I suspect for 8 cameras, this would only be possible if they were network connected cameras (WiFi, ethernet).
I doubt the Pi could cope with reading the video signal from 8 USB or composite output cameras (requiring a USB device)
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:26 am

As scotty101 says, it depends on the type of camera.

The Pi has no composite video in. There is a supported chip (ADV7280-MA) that does composite (and S-video, and component) to CSI2 to be sent to the Pi camera connector, but I'm not aware of anyone selling a board based on it. I have a lash up of the evaluation board.
It has 8 composite inputs, but you won't be able to switch between them that rapidly as your sources won't be synchronised. Think of the roll you used to get switching channels on analogue TVs.

USB solutions are very hit and miss. 720x576 YUV422 @ 25fps is 165Mbit/s, when USB2 has a max throughput of 480Mbit/s before overheads.

IP cameras should be easily handled depending on whether you want to just store the data or process (eg motion detection) it as well.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:41 am

alextovey wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:45 am
Hi,

Is it possible to create a board or have the Pi run as a CCTv with 8 outdoor cameras on it? We are looking to upgrade our home cctv. However the cost of units are stupid and I have a spare Pi which i want to turn into a CCTV system instead.

(the other one is running a car headunit and diagnostics unit. :) )

Any help would be great please.

https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos/ ... -Scenarios
Adieu

alextovey

Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:24 am

Okay at the moment we have 4 composite cameras but maybe IP based is the way to go. I can do that then is it a case of installing motion eye?

6by9

Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:17 am

alextovey wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:24 am
Okay at the moment we have 4 composite cameras but maybe IP based is the way to go. I can do that then is it a case of installing motion eye?
If you're looking to keep the 4 composite cameras, then Axis do a range of video encoders to convert them into IP cameras. I last used their kit back in about 2006, but it did the job quite nicely then. It looks like they've upgraded from MJPEG to H264 now which will save a chunk of bandwidth, but are pretty pricey.
I bet there are Chinese clones around if you do a little searching and trust them.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
Please don't send PMs asking for support - use the forum.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

RaTTuS

Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:23 am

TBH for an 8 Channel NVR your best bet is dedicated hardware i.e.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Onvif-M ... 76401.html
or
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hiseeu- ... 29383.html
or
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cloud-P ... 86208.html

... plenty of others and modules etc....
I've not tested any of those so YMMV
your looking at £30 ish upwards, more money does not mean better quality ..... again YMMV
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

PiGraham

Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:58 am

A kit of 8ch analogue DVR and 4 cameras is probably your cheapest and easiest option. Have you looked on eBay?
Aliexpress, banggood etc should also have lots of cheap options.

Here's one that includes four cameras to add to the four you already have. Excludes disk drive, so if you have one spare you save a bit, or add £40 for a drive.

Claims ONVIF IP Camera support as well.

Going for all- IP camera system could get more expensive than a composite video system. I've seen IP cameras for around £35 each. Eight of those is probably more than you wanted to spend to just add four cameras.

£65.99
Package Included:
- 1 X 8CH 1080N HDMI CCTV AHD TVI DVR (Hard Drive Not Included)
- 4 X 1500TVL Waterproof IR-Cut Bullet Security Cameras
- 4 X 60ft(18.3M) Video + Power Cable for Security Cameras
- 1 X 1-4 Power Splitter Cable for Cameras
- 1 X USB Mouse For DVR
- 1 X Power Supply for DVR (UK Plug)
- 1 X Power Supply for Cameras (UK Plug)
- 1 X User English Manual
- 1 X CD Software

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Floureon-8-Cha ... 3103234450
I am not recommending this product. I only now what the eBay listing claims, but it seems like it might meet your needs.

alextovey

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:42 am

Well thank you for very informative. Will have a scout and scrap the cctv idea for the pi.

Return to “General discussion”