Uvishnu

looking to build an arcade box in a flight case

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:15 am

I am looking to build an arcade box in a flight case for use in our campervan that would run off the 12v 2.5a USB socket so i can keep the batteries charged using solar power or easily set it up at home using a plug in power supply, I have lots of questions as i'm completely new to this wonderful little world i have stumbled across so any help would be appreciated in pointing me in the right direction.

My first question, is this possible ?

My second question, is it possible to use a 17inch(ish) laptop screen to run off the Raspberry PI andf how is this possible ?

I will be doing plenty of research before i start the little project but any pointers in the right direction for me to start reading would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and look forward to making my little project a reality.

:D

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: looking to build an arcade box in a flight case

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:01 pm

Split off from your introduction post (don't ask questions in the introduction thread, that is not what it is for).

Note that USB is 5V!
Putting 12V on any USB ports is immediately deadly for all USB devices!

Uvishnu

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Thank you for splitting my post, its greatly appreciated you have moved it to the correct location for me.

When i say 12v socket, what i mean is one of the USB charge sockets you can buy online for vehicles which has both 1.0 amp and 2.5amp usb connections.

The sort of thing you would charge phones/batteries from.

A 12v monitor / tv can easily be run from a cigarette lighter style socket and maplins used to sell al sorts of conversion leads for various types.

I dont believe what i'm wanting to make is going to be impossible to achieve, but it will be a challenge to a newcomer like me (12v electrics are my thing though, i studied as an automobile electrian fitting car audio and alarms in my teens).

I could just run a pure sine wave inverter and use a normal power supply but it would consume more power.

Any feedback / help greatly appreciated.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:47 pm

Uvishnu wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:15 am

My second question, is it possible to use a 17inch(ish) laptop screen to run off the Raspberry PI andf how is this possible ?
yes,that's possible. Most people use an AD-Board (or LVDS controller) for this (make sure to ask your seller if it is supporting your particular LCD module), but you can also achieve this in a different way (i.e. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=157109 or https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... 0#p1361021).
The shown boads already include power supplies for the PI and can be used with (typ) 12V DC input (as this voltage is used for backlight power supply on many LCD modules.
Downside of such a custom solution: you need to have some skills for developing/building it as you can't buy it off-the-shelf

Uvishnu

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks for that, its exactly the kind of information i was looking for.

I dont mind getting my hands dirty and building something completely custom and one off, and look forward to learning a few things along the way !

If their was an off the shelf solution, it would take the fun away :D

davidcoton

Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Uvishnu wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:30 pm
When i say 12v socket, what i mean is one of the USB charge sockets you can buy online for vehicles which has both 1.0 amp and 2.5amp usb connections.
The point is you must be sure exactly what you are connecting to. Standard USB sockets run at 5V. The Pi requires 5V. If your USB sockets are standards 5V ones there is no problem. If, however, the power source you have is 12V, and you connect that to your Pi, it will be smoked Pi in milliseconds. It should protect itself, usually at the expense of one on-board component which is replaceable, but don't try it deliberately!

Should it be necessary, you can get 12V to 5V convertors which do a good job of providing the right voltage efficiently.

Don't be tempted to try any method of powering the Pi other than 5V to the microUSB socket. That input is protected against minor accidents.
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

Gavinmc42

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:04 am

4 way Cigarette lighter sockets
https://www.techbrands.com/store/product/ps2019.aspx

You can plug those lighter to USB power supplies into them or use 12V direct for Monitor.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Uvishnu

Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:35 am

Ive basically got a couple of these hard wired and fused independantly within the vehicle.

Not the exact model but close enough.

http://sinolec.co.uk/en/cigar-and-cigar ... acket.html

So, from what i can tell.. i have all the neccesary power to run everything i want.

It's just a case of a bit more research, design, shopping and build. (Much to the dislike of my wife it would seem)

Return to “General discussion”