NetGeek

Re: Introduce yourself!

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:14 am

Hi I am interested in the Raspberry because it is very cool for experimenters like me. I am also interested in the Raspberry because it offers a low cost solution for something I am working on right now. Ether way its a really neat looking tech that could have many, many interesting applications. Oh I am Massachusetts USA and have been working in the technology area for about 27 years.

matt3d

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:09 pm

Been lurking for a few months now and thought it was time to register and say Hi.

I'm Matt from the UK. Computer Science graduate from *cough* years back who grew up with AppleII, Spectrum, BBC etc. First computer I owned was a sharp PC-1211 then my speccy. Love the idea of the R-Pi project and all it represents (especially having kids at school and seeing the disappointing nature of current ICT). Been lurking here for a while now and to be honest get a bit misty-eyed sometimes reading just how much enthusiasm there is for this project. Mind you I also get equally tensed up when I see unrealistic expectations of the project .  Huge congrats to the RPF team for getting it this far.

Mainly a PC user these days and not doing much programming but have a *nix and graphics background (SunOS, Irix) so like the idea of playing around with linux and opengl-es. I know I could do the "boot from usb stick" thing on a PC but somehow the R-Pi just seems more - well - fun!

Plan on using one to "play around" with stuff, get back into programming for the fun of it and encourage my kids (one of them in particular) to play around with it as well. Have spare chargers etc. around to use and can plug it into the telly so maybe have a go with that xbmc thingie as well (probably on another sd card to the main play-around one).

Anyway, have some thoughts on various things so hope to be able to contribute to the forums as time goes by. Maybe need to actually *order* one of the little beasties first

oh, and 3+5 !!!

SweeTMichaeL

Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi all, I love this Raspberry Pi project however I first herd about it in March of 2012 so I think I will be a little late to the blocks.

I can see several places where an accessibly priced PC could help the community, so I am not one of the “wow it is small how powerful can we make it” crowd, I am with the founders concept of keep it cheep keep it accessible.

I have spent 16 years working in development of Rapid Production and Design across the world, gaining a postgraduate qualification on the way. I am now self employed and living in Cambridgeshire. The Raspberry Pi project excites me because I can see how it can work for the community (Youth, Elderly and Businesses) whilst allowing for great entrepreneurial opportunities.

I worked on several types of Rapid Production machines that used tiny PC boards running Linux. Operating on all levels I gained sales, technical and training skills. I really enjoyed teaching clients to work with the systems on both an operational and technical basis whilst providing feedback, and working with, the development teams.

If I can get on board with this in the coming months in a productive and worthwhile way I would be happy to dedicate myself to the Raspberry Pi age.

Michel (SweeTMichaeL) Duggan

Bernie_Power

Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:28 pm

Hello All.

I'm Clive IRL.  I work and hobby in electronics.  Back in the day I owned a TRS80 then a BBC micro (which I still have, minus lid screws of course).  I've been a Linux user since around Fedora core3 I think. I have written some very minor shell scripts only in recent times. I have hundreds of grand ideas of what the Raspberry Pi can be made to do, so, its an 'hours in the day' type problem though. Anyhow, my Pi is now paid for. Cant wait for the postman to call..

mxcum167

Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi All

Martin here.  Working in IT, and have been for the past 26 years.  Looking forward to reigniting my programming days, with the RPi.  Roll on delivery day.

Like many others I started with many of the old favorites, and some of the not so well known machines.

I've started a post here showing what I've had, I'd really like to here from you with your repertoire.

All the best

Martin.
Martin www.chez-cummings.com

jvkelleher

Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Hi All

I'm Joe and I've registered here as something to do while waiting for news from RS. My first bit of programming was on TRS-80s on a school course back in '77, then on to BBC Micros (reading a lot of Micro User magazines and writing programs without the aid of the hardware to run them on), just missed the introduction of Computer Studies at school so did Computer Science at UCL to over compensate. Since then I've been developing software (professionally) under first QNX then Windows: retail systems, communications and security. I've dabbled with various OSs, languages and hardware over the years and am looking forward to playing with the Pi. I'll either be working on something useful and educational (with my governor's hat on),  setting it up as a small DNS server and firewall (to decommission a noisier machine), generally messing about or having it stare reproachfully at me until I retire and get some more spare time.

veloce

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:45 am

Hi,

Iam eagerly awaiting the delivery of my raspberry hopefully next month.

I live in Northern Ireland and am hoping to use the device as a learning tool, during my IT degree.

I go by veloce or veloce77 online, to reflect a love of Alfa Romeos.

Grumpy_Git

Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:24 pm

Hi

I'm Nick, 32. I live in South London, a Traffic Control Engieer by trade right now.

My background is my mums ZX81, my dad used to borrow Superbrains, Apple II's and Macs from work and we were also treated to a Spectrum +2 when they came out.

I had a massive archive of C90 cassettes, if you need to ask..............

I am into diy electronics and have a BEng in Electronic Engineering from Newcastle University.

I cant remember when I first heard about the Pi but in my head it seems to be 3 or 4 years, who knows.

I am also massively into cooking and have followed various blogs/writers for about 10 years, surprisingly one of which is Liz's own effort so it really is a small world.

I've not done any coding since university but I've downloaded python onto one of my laptops and have been playing with that, I just want a cheap dev. environment/sand box for stay at home fun as my wife has just decided to fill my life with nappys and baby clothes.

I hope to become a part of this community and answer as many questions as I ask.

I'm Grumpy_Git on most forums that I frequent, and have been since the 90's.

Nick.

Grandad

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:02 pm

My first electronic project was making and selling a few crystal sets, then lots of cheap war surplus stuff around to modify and experiment with.

After my apprenticeship, I worked on vacuum driven Link Trainers (all wind and hiss) then thermionic valved  analogue Flight Simulators with hydraulics.

I bought one of the first Model A BBC micros, upgraded it and taught myself BBC basic. This came in useful later on as I used BBC micros to monitor water treatment works. Subsequently I programmed controllers using BBC, other forms of basic and control languages to run treatment works, pumping and flood control stations.

After a spell of designing websites and repairing computers, I now look forward to playing with my Raspberry Pi. I have a few projects in mind.

OdieTurbo

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:23 pm

My name's Todd, ex-hacker, long-time computer geek.  I'm a husband, with a supportive wife and 3 lovely young daughters!  I ride motorcycle, am restoring a 1982 Camaro, play Mass Effect and Halo on the Xbox a lot, and enjoy hiking.

I'm looking forward to playing around with my RPi and hopefully teaching my daughters a few things about how computers work.

Hopefully I'll get to know some of you folks in the coming months!

TheBuzzSaw

Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:55 pm

Greetings all. Just waiting until I can purchase my Raspberri Pi. Why is the shop still down? D:

abishur

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:01 pm

We've been told that the shop will be down until mid-march at the earliest.  That said, seeing as how the r-pi is not being sold out of the shop, the only thing the shop being closed affects is anyone who wanted a sticker.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Nighthowl

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:37 pm

Hi,

my name is Dave and I live in the uk. I have been a lurker for sometime now so I just thought it was time to introduce myself.

My kick-start into programming arrived in 1982 with the 16k Spectrum - a cheap affordable way to see what pc's were all about. That was an incredible time, long hours typing stuff in from magazines, working out what it all meant, wondering how on earth does the hardware/screen work - a spark was lit.

A 16k Sprectrum playing class games?? I hear the shudders from today's youth, I played the games of course and still do on today's MMORPG sites, but the way that games worked fascinated me from the start.

The long hours typing in programs made you learn, rspecially with the machine code stuff, save before you try it was one hard learnt lesson .

But - it made much more efficient use of code, and something I really find annoying in the everyday world of programming now. where space/size/efficiency really has lost it's way.

I digress I know but that was my introduction to programming - something at which I became proficient - and I do miss assembler which in many professions is now considered a black art.

I heard about the Raspberry Pi a few months ago, and I wondered if it was possible, to do this in these days of profit/budget.

Yet I looked at all the answers given and I have to congratulate the founders, and the way that many people have come on board and supported/helped in any way. It is completely amazing that such a device can be introduced at such a low price, and the intention is to ignite a spark in the kids? That would be incredible.

I have 2 teenage children myself, the education they currently receive in IT is - tbh - woefull. I hope to spark an interest in them with this.

Ok, said much more than I intended ... but ty for the chance to re-ignite a spark of magic for all ...

Stewrat

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:45 pm

Well, what a sad/interesting/exciting bunch of people we are.

My story:

Spectrum generation, but as an adult (I'm 51). Did my first business presentation on one to a major pharma company, with every line hand coded, including the bar graphs. Was a little let down by everyone having to peer at a 14" TV to see it.

Ran a computer club full of Spectrums, Vic 20s, C64s, MSXs etc.

Wrote a weekly home computer column for our local paper, printed out on Spectrum silver paper and posted to them every week.

Apart from house and van, probably the single most valuable thing I own is a Jupiter Ace.

Have worked "in" education for the last 20+ years - but only in terms of selling stuff to them. 13 years at RM (lots of 380Z stories here - just before my time), right in at the very start of the internet in schools and colleges.

Then games-based learning and now director of company providing Functional Skills "solutions" (at the other end of the ICT scale from where R-Pi sits).

Only experience of Linux is in web server management, but at one stage I owned 200 domains and wrote a lot of Perl scripts to create websites.

One of my 4 sons is doing a computing PhD, and my initial interest in R-Pi came from trying to out-geek him.

I'm very excited about the possibilities of R-Pi, directly within education and equally in all kinds of special interest areas that will bleed into education - music, art, astronomy, automotive, etc etc.

TheEnglishman

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Blimey - intimidated or what. (or is that just me?)

A mate of mine told me about the launch the day before it went bonkers!  I've been hooked ever since.

I've pottered around Atmel controllers, blagged i2c vehicle chips and got a mobile phone display working to add a bit of 'bling' on my motorbike, but a 'Pi looks so much more powerful.

I'm hoping there is going to be a healthy interest in 1 and 2 wire bus stuff and a cheap small touchscreen to play with/interface to would be awesome

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:05 pm

I'm Jim Manley and I'm a Raspaholic ... oh, wait, wrong group!

Well, the cat's out of the bag, already - I've been excitedly following the R-Pi development since the demos of the early USB-HDMI stick prototype in May 2011 and was one of the 100,000+ victims ... I mean customers ... trying to give someone, anyone, money in exchange for one of the "mythical beasts" rumored to be available as of February 29th, 2012.

My first computer was a General Electric 635 mainframe - well, I had to share it with only a few thousand other users, but, only a couple of hundred at any one time, mostly on Model 25 Teletype terminals in the basement of my college dorm building and academic buildings.  My first personally-owned computer was an Ohio Scientific 6502 microcomputer, followed by an Apple ][, ///, //c, Mac, Mac 512K, Mac Plus, Mac II, etc., all the way up to the latest iPads, iPhone 4S, and soon, I can only hope, a Raspberry Pi (I do love fresh fruit ).

In addition to being a software engineer at various startup companies over the last couple of decades, I'm a volunteer senior docent, Babbage Difference Engine operator/presenter/maintainer, artifact restoration engineer, and historian at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, California, smack-dab in the middle of SillyCon Valley.  In addition to its mission "to preserve and present for posterity the artifacts and stories of the Information Age", the museum partners with educators to provide an introduction to computing fundamentals to kids as young as four years old, up through high schools and graduate schools at Stanford, UC Berkeley, etc.  I will be heading up an effort to use the Raspberry Pi as the current platform to show museum visitors during my tours, and for kids to experiment with computing hardware and software in a very hands-on manner, just as kids did going back to my days building circuits from discrete transistors and passive components.

I'm looking forward to the many projects others have described here and will be participating in those of most interest to me, which will still be too many for the time I will have available.  I'm starting a SillyCon Valley R-Pi SIG that will meet at the museum at least monthly that will serve as a touchstone between us geeks and our friends in education, including students, teachers and parents.  I'll post here once we actually have our R-Pi boards in-the-flesh, or in-the-copper, so to speak
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

Nighthowl

Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:13 pm

I hope too many people aren't intimidated by the experience some geeks (and that is not intended to be a "slight" against anyone here) but you have to realize that all started at block 1 - newb.

This is that starting point for everyone ... )

manolohpm

Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:46 am

Hi, I'm Manolo, from Spain.

I have no idea of programming (well a little of it but many many years with no practice at all).

My hobby is flight simulation and homecockpit building, I think this idea very interesting in order to reduce the hardware needed for cockpits and its modularity.

Best gards. Manolo.

Crashedfiesta

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:00 pm

Hello, I'm Paul from Great Malvern in Worcestershire.

I've been a fan of computers since we got our first ZX Spectrum in about 1984. Looking at the RPI as a way to (finally) try and learn how to program properly and get the kids interested (rather than blasting rebel scum in Star Wars Battlefront).

Been dabbling for a few(!) years in everything from BASIC, COBOL, Pascal, a bit of Java and even AMOS on my trusty Amiga but never really managed to find the time to focus on one language.

My RPI board will be my birthday present so I''m hoping that production will be caught up with all the orders by then (July ).

colinmcr

Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Hi all, no idea what I'm going to use this for but I'll be reading through this forum to get some ideas. Keen to make a custom case for it and get back to trying to learn some programming. Like the old days sat typing out programs from magazines on my old spectrum.

kaspencer

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:02 pm

Hello – I am Kenneth.

I wrote business software and games for the BBC, Master, Archimedes, and RISC PC in the 1980s (as well as the UK101, ZX81, ZXSpectrum, Oric, Dragon and many others). From 1982 onwards I wrote DBase III applications, and then from 1985 wrote software in the C language, for the IBM PC. I have worked extensively since in Oracle, SQL Server, C, Access, ASP.NET and PHP.

I was fascinated to hear about the availability of the ARM CPU on a board like the Raspberry Pi – I have had an ARM based Android tablet for some time, but it's hardly a programmer's machine! It was a bit like a blast from the past with a suture in the future!

I haven't yet received my RPi – I am one of those still waiting. But to prepare for its arrival I downloaded the Debian IMG from this site, and purchased an extra 32Gbyte Type 10 SD Card.

I thought that readers might like to hear of my experiences in trying to setup the Debian IMG on my SD Card, so I have posted them on the General Discussion forum. Do please comment on the points raised at the end.

All the best,

Ken.
2xRPi 1, 2xRPi 2, 2xRPi4.
KODI: on RPi 2.
Webserver: on RPi 2.
PDC & fileserver: 4TB disc +RiscOS Pi on RPi 2 + 4.
Book: All about your computer - http://goo.gl/ZQf7c7

Powerage

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:26 pm

Hello, I'm Mads.

I write firmware and develop low power hardware for industrial equipment, and have done so for about 5 years. I mainly develop firmware in assembler but knows C/C++, C# and Java. My main interest for Rasp Pi is getting back into Linux (it's been a while since I have been working with Linux) and develop small control system for robotics that I am working on in my spare time.

I am looking forward to get my hands on some hardware

Regards,

Mads

anfield800

Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi, I"m Lee from Lancashire. I"m an absolute beginner as far as programming is concerned, my knowledge currently stretches to knowing where the power switch is.

That said, I"m enjoying the tutorials very much.

I"m hoping to use the Raspberry to rip some programmes from my Sky box so I can watch them on an iPad. I believe i can do this with dvgrab. Very excited.

DiggerDan

Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi all.  Mick here.  I've been a fan of this project since I first heard about it a while ago.  I'm one of those "taught himself programming in the Acord Electron days" sorts who is now a professional coder in the games industry.

I managed to get the job by demonstating my abilities after coding up my own DSiWare game (now available to all DSi and 3DS owners...) and I've always been a huge fan of just about anything with an ARM chip in it.  I'll be teaching my son to code on the Pi when I manage to get my hands on one.

mixpc

Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:58 am

Hello

Yes, I'm a Raspebrri Pi wannabe I arrived late for te first batch-order so I'll have to wait till the next order window opens. In the meantime I learn more and more about RP and its capabilities. Plus, I'm intro retrocomputing. 8-bit heart

Greetings,

Return to “General discussion”