c0s

Re: STICKY: Introduce yourself!

Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:29 am

Hi everyone and happy new year.

My name is Simon, i'm a student in electronics and casual amateur photographer.

I'm discovering the raspberry pi for both my studies and personnal hobbies, including photography.

chachahere

Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:10 pm

Hello everybody! Glad to be a part of this community!

Spencernj

Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:13 pm

Hi I'm Neil a 60yr old retired IT professional and experienced Pi and Linux user. I have been using Linux since circa 1993/4. I started out as a programmer in the early 80s in Basic and dBase before moving onto Vax and then PC Network and various 4GLs (NetWare and Delta V anyone?).

Despite starting as a programmer during the 90s, I moved into infrastructure and spent the last 13 years of my career as a network and data centre consultant for large enterprise projects.

In my youth I was keen on electronics and I am now getting back into that with the Pi.

As an experienced user I hope to be helpful to those who are less experienced. Until recently I could be found on many of the Facebook Pi groups but recently dropped out as I find the interface too limiting and don't want everything to be through Facebook.

My first computer was a ZX80 and then a BBC. But I never wanted to work in IT I wanted to be a Rock Star.

Neil_Tsubota

Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:04 am

Hello World,

My name is Neil Tsubota. My learning curve has gone from Arduino Uno to Raspberry Pi. I have been working with computers since the CPM (Controlled Program Monitor) days with 64K.

I am looking for the most current NOOB Zio file so that I can "extract" the files on the 4K SD card. My initial install failed, maybe because I had a NOOB file that dated back to 2013.

Thanks in Advance

Neil Tsubota

LarryGB

Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:15 am

Hello World!
69 year old retired IT guy. First device was a ZX80 from Sir Clive, and then up through the TMX1000, Commodore VIP20 and 64 and upward. Now I digress to a RPi400 and enjoying every minute of it. And almost becoming my replacement for a couple of Asus AIO W10 that annoy me greatly. But i have all the time in the world, and it helps pass the time during Covid.
Larry Beattie Swan River Mb Canada

xianox

Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:13 pm

Hi

I'm a 36 year old engineer in measuing technology even though I majored in (material science). When I was reading up on machine learning I fell in love with python and recently I became interested in tinkering a bit with electronics, an area which I am a total newbe on.

I first bought an Arduino robot kit but quite quickly I realized that it was not optimal to talk with it from python from my laptop. So I went ahead and got myself a Raspberry Pi instead and put the Arduino in a drawer. I have a little experience with Linux before, but it was probably about 18 years ago I set up a linux router running on a 3.5 inch floppy on a pentium 1...

Nice to meet you, I will probably need some help.. :-)

SamGearhart172450

Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:46 am

My name is Sam and I'm an extreme new person to this computer stuff but i did like the look of the Pi 400 and I've always wanted to explore around with Linux. I'm now wondering whether i made a good decision or not. I guess it's not a big deal if i don't end up liking this computer as i'm only out about $170 total. But I would like to get help in becoming more proficient with computers and also figured if im going to start to learn computers, this one would be a good one to start with. I've heard people say that if you know Linux, it opens up a whole new world to you. I can't even restore my trash icon which i unintelligently removed from my desktop and now i cannot for the life of me, figure out where it went to or how to get it back/restored to my desktop screen. Very, very frustrating as this is an extremely simple task yet I can't figure it out.
I'm not very smart at all and I know this and admit it so I need all the help I can get to do even the simplest things in life but would like to expand my repetoire of skills and hopefully make my life better. Better living through technology right?

vhaasteren

Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:01 am

Hello world of Pi,

I'm a seasoned linux user that has had a Pi for 8 years now, but I have not played much with it. I just got a Pi 4, and I'm here to make a little bit more use of it. On the side I have been a scientist (Astrophysics) for about a decade, after which I switched to data science. But in my free time I just like to tinker with computers. Happy to start contributing!

Gigi502

Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:35 pm

Hello everyone, I'm Gigi from Italy.
I bought this Pi4 some weeks ago mainly because I was curious to know something about it.
I tested it for some retrogaming and in his desktop mode, now I'm wondering if I can try to use it for a sort of weather station.
But it's a new territory for me so I will have to read and learn a lot I think...
Thanks for having me.

ibanman555

Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:14 pm

Good Day everyone! I am a new user to Raspberry Pi 4 and Linux as well, just for the last few weeks. I have really enjoyed the challenge of learning the in's and out's of Linux and coding in general, so I figured I would give this a try. My main interest in RPI4 was to use as a game streaming computer in my home theater setup, where I can play PC games on the big screen, from my couch. I have successfully managed to get Moonlight working to stream games with great quality and response. I am still working on other projects to use RPI4 with, and looking forward to screwing it all up to start again! :D

WulfraynS

Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:22 pm

Hi

My name is SJ and my raspberry pi journey started last year. The trouble is I had just gotten started when I had a stroke.

Now I'm on the recovery road and my pi is even more important than before.

I will be reawakening my blog, and using my pi to figure out my next steps. I want to learn programming and Arduino. I would appreciate any tips and tricks that anyone can give me. And if anyone would like to collaborate on any future projects I would be happy to talk it over.

sandorg123

Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:08 pm

Hi I'm gabe AKA Zero COOL AKA Crash OVERide. Part time hacker. New to the pi game.

Anyone know how long posts take to get approved by admin?
Haven't been able to see pending posts, or DM the admin to get this info.

Enrico Sartori

Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:20 pm

Hi! i'm Enrico Sartori, from Italy.
Father and computer technician.
I love RaspberryPi, 3D Print, 3D Sculpt and write RaspberryPi Tutorial.
You can find my random tutorial, only in italian, in some blog and youtube. :D
You will find part of me in book, ebook, magazine, forum, blog, youtube, twitter and much more

GarrickAndersLyng

Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:32 am

Good day everyone!
My name is Garrick. I started using Raspberry Pi in highschool (circa 2008) at the insistence of a friend and loved the hell out of the platform. Since then, I've done 2 years of college, dropped out, and joined the US Navy. I currently have 4 pis running various little fun projects of mine, webservers, file shares, proxies, load balancers, what-have-you. I'm glad to be here and hope to grow with the community.

micks21

Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:33 am

ello peeps im micks21 aka mick in case you couldn't guess i'm 45 and over the last 12 years or so i've gone from bookworm and technophobe (didn't even own a TV) to total and utter geek living my best #geeklife. I already have various computers and interests in technology and computers in all aspects 0f my life so I thought instead of home taught building, activism and other stuff I could get into Raspberry to learn things in a more official style. So I brought a PI-400 (still think it should have rubber keys ;) ) added a simple 10" monitor and thought id be happy for a while buuut im ordering a PI-4 this week and deciding what project to start first and thinking o0f getting one for my partners granddaughter to.

Salohcin

Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:32 pm

Hello all, I'm Nicholas, retired chemist living in the woods outside Toronto and lifelong Maker.
This is my third day playing with Raspberry Pi 4 B rev 1.2. My first programming experience was in high school, BASIC on Olivetti-Underwood Programma 101 and FORTRAN IV on IBM-360, and coding has been on the periphery of my life for these past 50 years.
So far RPi has been hours of fun and tens of minutes of frustration, and I have many questions. My first project is a talking To-Do list with prompts and praises.
I have espeak running with the +f3 voice which sounds acceptable, and I'll try to find a sweeter voice.
I wonder if I can get audio output on the headphone jack and over Bluetooth at the same time?
Offline voice input would be really nice too. I have deepspeech installed but I need some hand-holding before I can actually use it.
What does "curl (6) Could not resolve host: xvf" mean? OK, this isn't the forum for these questions.
Back to it. My project deadline is Tuesday. Cheers everyone!

MegaTKC

Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:53 pm

Hi guys my name is Thomas. I am an 11 year old that likes the Raspberry Pi. I live in the USA and I own a video sharing website. (I know a lot about computers and programming.)

hughlle

Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:02 pm

Hi all,

Brace yourselves, I've a feeling I'm going to come across as pretty needy. Hopefully there are enough parents here who understand the notion of baby steps.

I'v messed around withinux for a decade or so. By which I mean I know apt-get install, and 30 minutes later I'm plugging in a USB stick and starting from scratch!

Really trying to give my new pi 4 a go though. I'm encountering nothing but issues, but my secondary goal is to get my pi to share an Internet connection via WiFi over ethernet, amd to share a USB hard drive to Windows machines. My primary goal is to understand what I'm doing in order to achieve that.

bilico

Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:31 am

Hi , My Name's Binh. I'm come from Viet Nam.

phthaloblu

Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:55 pm

Hi everyone. My name's Blue. Been using this alias since the early 90s. My husband's been in tech forever and is actually an instructor on the server side for clientele of the company he works for. You can't be married to a techie without picking stuff up. My ultimate interest is in security/forensics. My son actually bought me the pi a few years ago but it hasn't been until recently that my interest in all things Linux has progressed to hands.

Kaelon

Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:21 am

Hi Everyone!

My name is Juan, and I've used the alias "Kaelon" since I discovered the name of the first tyrant in the Ancient world at age 9. ;) I live in an enchanted forest along the South Shore of Massachusetts with my family and am a proud father, hardcore gamer, creator, and business executive. Oh, I also am addicted to technology and grew up around computers.

I discovered the Raspberry Pi many years ago but only bought my first one - a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B - half a decade ago to set up a RetroPi so that I could introduce my kids to the glory of classic NES gaming. And then I promptly forgot all about it as we moved on to other tinkerings, from smart-home gadgets to running my own Plex server as a part of Cutting the Cord. I rediscovered Raspberry Pi on the eve of one of the many nor'easters that frequents this part of the world and decided I would take a stab at a Pi-Hole project to rid myself of all Internet ads and malware. I'm still amazed at the power of these computers, and not just because the ARM architecture has shown to revolutionize Apple's new M1 lineup. ;)

I'm looking forward to other Raspberry Pi projects as I start to introduce both of my kids to the beauty of computing, both hardware and software; I hope to be an active contributor of the Raspberry Pi community in the process. I tweet at @Kaelon about technology and society, and can often be found gaming, experimenting, and trying to augment my home with a variety of technological modifications.

Johnny Mnemonic

Hello WOOOOOOORLD!!

Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:57 am

Hey Everyone!!.
I'm so excited to be back at it with all this Raspberry Pi bizness!!.

I first fell in love with RaspberryPi a little less than ten years ago around the same time I fell in love with Math and STEM in general. It was also the first time I went to College....all of this is so nostalgic to me and holds a special place in my heart.

I was never able to share my joy and love of tech back then because I simply didn't have anyone around me who cared about it. It was hard because I felt so alone and almost every educator only cares about young people learning and if your old, especially with a learning difficulty your almost certainly ousted and left to figure it out for yourself and looked down on because you "over the hill" for learning.

Still I kept on with RPis and then got into Ard*#&$.......shhhhhh! lol
Lately something about Raspberry Pi Org has me very excited again like the RPI400 and the Pico I just received. Lately I've been thinking about taking up an old idea that would surely take using Raspberry Pis to the next level and make it waaaaaaaaaaaay more usable for EVERYONE, not just young learners. I've always, and still, hope I can bring learning to the masses using RaspberryPi. You'll see it'll be great!

Thanks for always having something to LOVE RaspberryPI.

Sincerely Johnny Mnemonic

craigevil

Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:24 am

New to the world of Raspberry PI. Ran Debian Sid for the last twenty years, the last few on an ancient Thinkpad that finally gave up the ghost.
Decided to give the PI 400 a try. So far it works great running the PI OS. Bought extra sd cards to try other OSes.
Glad to be a part of the Raspberry PI community.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS 10 (buster) Kernel: 5.10.20-v8+ aarch64 DE:LXDE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt-get something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"

openbsd98324

Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:50 pm

Hi

I am experienced in Unix, programming and Hacking.

I use Linux for graphics and SDL.

I use BSD for most activities, including NetBSD on the raspberry. BSD just works way better, faster for many things compared to Linux (except for C compiler, USB use i.e. missing driver).

yolbh

Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:46 pm

hi all!!

great forum!!

Electronics and hardware integration engineer here from IL .

nice to meet you all !

Return to “General discussion”